1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Ktm 500 Husky 501 Oz Adventure bikes

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bigbrad, Jan 2, 2017.

1. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will blind on coming traffic unless you can dim it significantly.

The Cyclops is a good globe with the latest being close to 10,000 lumens in the H4. The issue is the crap reflector.

Being in Myrtleford, Clint at MMG is your KTM man.
  2. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    The motominded have an optional dimmer get that and you have no problems, apart for ppl whom don't know ,
    I don't even run a dimmer on my twin squadron pro set up on my 690 that runs 1x 100% low beam or 2x 100% hi beam,
    And on the 500 I have the Squadron pro with dimmer,

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
  3. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Fnatic, Ive had 2 Baja Designs SQUADRON SPORTS on my 990 for 12 months or so & they are simply remarkable bits of kit & when ive got both on, they shed some unbelievable amount of light. I cant begin to imagine how bright the PRO or Xl80 must be, cos the PRO is 2 1/2 times the lumens & the Xl80 is like an incredible 5 times the lumens. That'd be more light than a Pink Floyd concert.
    Ive removed both SPORTS from the 990 to do my set up on the 500, but considering how bright the Squadron Sports are, I rekon Ill go 2 S2 PRO's @ 24w & 2450 lumens each & that'll be one well lit track for sure.

When I first set up the 990 with the SPORTS, I got flashed by just about every driver & so I had to tilt the low beam one down considerably to avoid the ire of oncoming drivers & havnt had a flash since, but I do rekon the Sport is just about bordering on being to bright for a low beam in my honest opinion. What ever you decide on from BD, you wont be disappointed trust me.

Heres the S2 below.

[​IMG]

The two squadron sports set up on the 500 at the moment.

[​IMG]
    Sfcootz and mk23 like this.
  4. mk23

mk23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to do a similar set up with my Incoming Nomad rallie fairing. Was thinking spot lens on top and Driving lens on bottom. I see you even have a spot/driving lens for the high beam. Is spot only, too much?
  5. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its personal choice I spose, but theres lots of crazy arse wildlife here in Australia & they love to come out after dark & ruin your evening given the chance, so I wanted the widest spread I could get on both lights to give me a fighting chance. I dont like to ride at night normally, simply because of the wildlife issue, but a few times Ive been caught out & Ive had some serious near misses with kangaroo's & if it hadnt been for those lights, things could have gone south pretty quick. Each to their own.
    mk23 likes this.
  6. mk23

mk23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the dimmer function, and properly aimed, I have absolutely no issues blinding traffic. I think I have it set at 20% for low beam. High beam might start a fire downrange.... It's soooo bright.
    00H0H_iMkxtOj9d3e_1200x900.jpg
  7. mk23

mk23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, it's very similar in the pacific northwest of Washington. A lot of deer at dusk... Have had a couple of close calls with Elk too. That would have been a bad day: each one of those cows is north of 1500lbs. So I see your point...
    Fabnut likes this.
  8. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes they are & well worth the investment.
    mk23 likes this.
  9. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    So pumped for you mate ! Definitely have to arrange a high country trip soon.
  10. Blakduk

Blakduk Just trying to get by.

Oddometer:
    I wonder if @BiG Brad would mind changing the thread title to "...KTM 500 / 501 Oz Adventure bikes". It's just that I think my next plan is to adventurise the Husky version, and I would feel more at home... Maybe I can coach a few more photos from the Husky crowd? And we all know they are just blue KTMs hey?
  11. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hey @Blakduk ...good to meet you in Roma, hopefully you getr on one of these new bikes soon...they are exceptional..
    IMG_20180913_115145.jpg
    Fearless Whetu and Hoots like this.
  12. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    You too. Sorry very little time to chat. Apparently I was still quite drunk from night before according to later appraisal. That’s about 4 times we’ve seen you at different random locations across Oz. Good to see you getting the kms up.
    I must have passed you the day before between Morven and Roma on the 250. (Obviously you pulled over somewhere!!)
  13. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Oops I mean @bigbrad.
  14. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I do remember seeing you guys a few times...stopped in Roma for an early beer and comfy motel room..

All good mate...I'm sure we will cross paths again up that way as I usually ride out of Toowoomba with @Kiwirich.
    Fearless Whetu likes this.
  15. bigbrad

bigbrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like a no Brainer to me

Ask and ye shall be rewarded

And just for you a new Avatar as well
  16. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    If you're interested in this thread, you'll like this post on the Thumpers one. By @Fabnut
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/adventurizing-a-ktm-500-exc.1202448/page-17
    Dukehunt and Fabnut like this.
  17. fnatic

fnatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies guys...

Never been to MMG will have to check it out.... I would definitely be using a dimmer down to 20%.... I was going to go Cyclops instantly but the reflector is always an issue and I want lots of light when I want it but be able to putter down the road without being an ass at the same time...

Fabnut: TESTIFY!!!, had Cyclops Hi/Low and Clearwater ERICAS on my old 1190r and saved me from countless Kangaroo strikes. I like ADV riding and sometimes you get caught out past your bedtime and the light is a godsend....

mk23: Wow thats awesome to know!!!... Do you have XL80 or XLPRO/XLSPORT? You using the driving beam pattern? I definitely want the POWER when I flick the switch and be conspicuous when i dim it... :1drink

Fearless Whetu: Hmmmm not sure mate, your a blue bugger and a kiwi... Only if you bring along your douche rope so I can tow you when you break down/get stuck.... LOL... :imaposer:imaposer
  18. mk23

mk23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the XL80 with the combo driving pattern. And yes, on high, you can really see your light reflecting off traffic signs, even in the middle of the day!
  19. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Now I can post the 501 Yaaay !

It's ok fnatic I wont be racist, and I know I can always count on you to sit comfortably and mock my life choices while I extricate myself from a scenario :rofl:rofl:rofl First ride.JPG First Ride 1.JPG
    Dick0, Fabnut, Blakduk and 4 others like this.
  20. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clint is a top bloke. Competitive tyres prices etc.

FC8F5AD1-C002-4005-9FED-18E6C40C872E.png