KTM 500exc RTW...on as much dirt as possible (the test rides)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Flooding in the Arkansas River Valley will be continuing for a while longer. While the TAT is north of the river on the west side of the state the east side is a different story.
    Prolly best to stay away till it dries out.
    CapitalG5 likes this.
  2. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has been very dry but also very hot here in Ga. and surrounding areas. And that doesn't look to change within the next 10 days. Maybe a good time to do Southern Appalachians if that mess doesn't move east -- and if you can get here!

**Correction** Now looks like the chance of rain increases towards the end of next week, but still mostly scattered T-storms.
    Allucaneat likes this.
  3. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come on @rtwpaul we’ve got a schedule to keep...

Besides the country being as wet as it is may be a good shake down for the BAM... haha

Just make sure YOU stay well lubricated while you’re waiting!!
  4. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits

While we have had dry (drought conditions) in eastern SC, most everything in northwestern SC and western NC has be deluged by heavy rains the past few weeks.

Our wx pattern along the SC coast changed today with the normal scattered afternoon thunderstorms popping up.

A friend on a planned fishing trip at OBX (Oregon Inlet) today stated they cancelled due to heavy rain and wind.

Normal summer wx in the southeast. Put the 500s in the back of the pickup and head East!
  5. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pacific Northwest is warm and dry these days. You may want to head this way now because if it stays this way, the fire season is going to start early and end late! It already has in northern Alberta!
    JagLite likes this.
  6. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I can confirm that. Rode the northernmost section of the IDBDR today. Some snow along the roadside above 4000’ and I had to ride through several inches of slush a couple times, but otherwise was easy. Only quirky mud was where they must have graded today (only one set of tracks before me). There was a fair amount of haze all the way down to Spokane from the Alberta fires.

Maybe you should do the TCAT. Mid 80’s F in the Yukon this week.
    advrockrider likes this.
  7. miks

miks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Raft testing time?
    Fast1, JagLite and keepshoveling like this.
  8. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Hot and dry in the southeast Appalachians. Maybe ride the SEAT, then link to the MABDR. By the time you finish those, maybe the midwest will have dried out.
    Allucaneat likes this.
  9. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hit the road for Tennessee on Wednesday, fingers crossed for decent weather. Right now calling for double digit temps across the island so that's a plus.
  10. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Really appreciate the input, from what I've researched and what you guys have said it seems that to get anywhere east of NM would be a main paved route, not fun on an EXC, or day after day in knee deep mud or in the back of a truck, again no fun on an EXC.

So the obvious choice now seems to be to kinda do it in reverse but stay mainly over towards the left coast for now. I have saved a crazy amount of offroad tracks and waypoints I can choose from, this -

Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 11.51.35 AM.png

which I've vaguely narrowed down to this...so screw it lets ride

Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 11.38.42 AM.png
  11. lanztek

lanztek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paul, you should look at doing the tour of Idaho T1. That 500 would rip that up. Mid July is going to be the earliest start since central Idaho got a ton of snow late February early March
  12. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    You have a place in Missoula (tools/shower/beer/bed) if you need it.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  13. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I had that in mind but look on their FB page and entries for 2019 closed midnight last night, so the only other option is T3, I have all those waypoint to make the track so its a maybe, depending on snow. At least I'll be in that area for sure and see some of it
    lanztek likes this.
  14. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    thx, will be in touch if i'm close...ish
  15. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    I see your rough itinerary takes you into Utardia. My recommendation...skip the Disneyland of Moab. Look into something called the Paiute trail system. I have the beta if'n you want to PM me (sorry about the thrashing of the English language...been watching The Wire lately).
  16. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    If you're considering a hard core ID ride, the GRIT routes are another option. They have 3 different ones, and without wading into it, I'll just say that the presentation is much more welcoming than the TOI.

I'll be in ID for a couple of weeks in Aug doing endurocamping. It's paradise for hard singletrack.
    Fast1, Grinderman and lanztek like this.
  17. SuddenLee

SuddenLee n00b

Oddometer:
    HE probably means cinch
    brucemuzik likes this.
  18. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Due to a multitude of situations WAY out of my control both personal and professional I've had to make a judgment call on this ride and where it stands at the moment, specifically the North American section this summer on the 500exc.

As of today, the 500exc is going into storage until it is brought out to ship to Magadan around this time next year.

Apologies for those of you I was looking forward to meeting on the road this summer, it'll have to be another time.

I have asked for this thread to be locked to keep continuity, until I ask for it to reopen next year when the ride WILL continue...
  19. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Threads back open, riding to commence watch out :lol3
    cabnoir, SmilinJoe, Jersey87 and 77 others like this.
  20. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yay!:clap
    Caprug likes this.