KTM 500exc RTW...on as much dirt as possible (the test rides)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Boyscout1108

Boyscout1108 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to it all.
  2. Red_dog

Red_dog Dirt Road Sniffer outerer

Oddometer:
    Is it next year already? Bloody hell that was quick!
  3. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    First of all huge thanks for the big welcome back, it's almost like a return from banned camp

All is well for sure.

So what happened to make me stop the ride so abruptly?

I got this question from @jays100 when I went silent, my reply to him I'm sure he won't mind me sharing -

"Life's just a little strange at the moment. Seems like every day or so something crazy or bad happens.
    I was going to message you earlier and it would have read 7 friends dead in the last two months including a suicide and a murder but in the last two hours that number has just jumped to 8

The person murdered in Los Angeles yesterday in Costco by a cop is my friend's cousin.

On top of that daily bizarre things were happening and I got really bad vibes about taking a dirt bike into the middle of nowhere...just in case. Call it sixth sense or intuition. It just seemed like a bad idea so I scrapped dirt riding for now.

Now I just hopped on my S10 and went for a ride leaving to who knows where. Two days later I find myself in Louisiana!!!

So what this season brings...who knows. Just laying low and having or trying to have time away from people cause every time I speak with someone it's just seriously bad news

Besides that I'm good...lol"

I just needed to get away, silently so I went for a ride, right before I went I got a few messages from some manufacturers to see if I would test some products for them, it was good so it made the ride seems justified in some small way besides getting my head straight

• Jesse Luggage, new Voyager panniers,
    • MotoZ for tires,
    • Trail Tech for the new Voyager Pro,
    • Big Agnes for the new Bike Packing tent,
    • and Klim for some prototype gear.

I packed my bags not knowing if the ride would be to Louisiana and back from Phoenix which I figured would be a good test for the above...wrong!

I got to Louisiana in 2 days and sat chatting with my friend and of course he asks "where are you headed next"?

I had packed the bike to ride anywhere, for four seasons for every eventuality, I originally built the S10 to ride South America and it never went, so that was an option. Or just ride around the states.

It was literally a coin toss and the US won.

I got a map and looked and drew a line hitting every state and just said to myself, 'done it before a few times but why not again'. Its too hot in the SW so head north and thats what I kinda did.

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 11.06.46 AM.png

I forgot about this until yesterday and compared it to what I actually rode, this...49 states, and DC, plus Alberta and BC

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 11.07.45 AM.png

What do you see if you do a whirlwind tour of the US

Christmas trees made of antlers

[​IMG]

The Mississippi 38 feet above normal so no way to cross on small roads, bridges, and ferries

[​IMG]

Huge motorcycle collections

[​IMG]

Fields of sunflowers that felt like you ff's staring at me and shouting where's the KTM???

[​IMG]

More motorcycle collections

[​IMG]

The best fireworks I have ever seen, (if it's clickable to enlarge do it)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding around Manhatten on a Sunday morning when most people are still in bed

[​IMG]

New England summer days

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Random points that have no real meaning

[​IMG]

Meeting up with friends who have the same bike as you

[​IMG]

heading to the flatlands

[​IMG]

then famous places

[​IMG]

night after night after night of camping and clear skies (that bright dot is Jupiter, btw)

[​IMG]

Wild animals...

[​IMG]

Switching tire combinations, for more grip as I headed towards more 'lame dirt' riding

[​IMG]

and once those tires are on I'm thinking about the KTM, and seeing dirt roads and this big beast is well, just that, a big beast...but a few more places to see while I'm headed northwest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

great pavement that a motorcyclist must have been on the crew and refused to make straight for 125 miles

[​IMG]

...and not in just one state

[​IMG]

and I got to this point right here and all I could think was..."I think I'll go home now!" (in your best Alabama accent)

[​IMG]

I was done, I was full, the summer was great, the pavement was great, the time alone was what I needed, the inmates I bumped into along the way were amazing and gave me great hospitality. You know who you are.

...but I was done, pavement is fun, but not enough fun anymore...I want dirt.

I got back, went to my storage container where I have a few bikes and rolled the 500exc out and the S10 in, it was funny it was like they were pissed off and wouldn't look at each other.

[​IMG]

What's the plan...most of it is a secret until it happens, it'll be unique and rarely ridden areas to come, but for now...

up next the KTM Rally in Breckenridge on Sept 13th and then the Alpine Rendevous at the 3stephideaway on the 25th with @DingWeed and lots of dirt inbetween...stay tuned and hopefully see you at one or both of the above and I'll chime in as I get a connection along the way

4. cch13

cch13 n00b

Oddometer:
    Great to see you back, your RR is head and shoulders above the rest!
    rtwpaul and adventurebound9517 like this.
  5. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Happy to see you didn't waste the summer mowing the lawn or some other such nonsense. Offer still stands for tent space or a tour around the Appalachians (off road) if you find yourself in NW Georgia.

[​IMG]
  6. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-9-2_4-25-56.jpg

Well, you certainly don’t mess around when you step out. Any thoughts on this front tire?
    rtwpaul and BLucare like this.
  7. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you are back!!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  8. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All good bro!
    Glad you’re back on track.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  9. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Paul, your images are amazing.
    I do read every post on your RR but could easily just look at all you pictures and be satisfied :wings
    Thanks for kicking it back into gear.
  10. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I will be doing an article about MotoZ tires and all the combinations I've used and how they faired. It will be on my website and also on the front page of this fine forum very soon
  11. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is hilarious.
    drhippie2 and Shadowed_Stranger like this.
  12. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    A highly welcomed return .. was Jonesing for you to return to the dirt at least more of it. (especially since you skirted below my Wisconsin on this last one.)
    Killacurb likes this.
  13. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Let the testing begin

First test don't plan to leave in the afternoon that ground is a little hot

[​IMG]

Stalled till early the next morning headed out to the Apache trail

[​IMG]

Nice and easy dirt to Roosevelt Lake

[​IMG]

The plan was to jump on the AZBDR but somehow I managed to delete the one section that was closest to me...doh!

No phone signal. So I just created my own kinda.

Jumped on the Mogollon rim rd and it was packed with weekend adventure bunnies

[​IMG]

Looked for tracks that no one else was using kicking up dust. Asked some guy in a juep for good empty track in the general direction I was headed. He pointed down a ways and gave me a number to look for.

"Its a little much for the weekend warriors so you'll have it to yourself

[​IMG]
    drhippie2, george248, Foiler and 43 others like this.
  14. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh good, your off and rolling. Are you riding solo?
  15. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever happened to the new GPS you were going to test?
  16. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Hubba Hubba!!!
  17. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Look close, there's two mounted
  18. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would if this lousy internet would load the photos
  19. CJ

CJ Wheelin' & Dealin'

Oddometer:
    Get it Paul!!
  20. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I found the azbdr again section 7. And into the volcanic sand...grips a little different to other types of sand...air down and braap!

[​IMG]

After the black sand there's a lot shade from the trees and I was caught out twice in quick succession first was a cattle guard in the shade I hit and the section I hit was washed away so the guard part was protruding about 8 inches...how I didn't taco my rim I don't know. I guess huge thanks there to TUbliss.

The second was a massive wash out again in the shade and didn't see it until I was about 10 feet away.

A mini cravass about 3 feet deep and only maybe two feet wide perfect size for a wheel to drop into and not come out.

some how I didn't go over the bars and wreck severely

[​IMG]

Both of these would have left me about a fifty mile walk either way if I'd killed the bike.

Almost at the end of section 7 I had to jump off the track to head east towards Colorado cause remainder jogs back west...gotta get to Colorado.

Found an old track with a great view down to the Colorado River

[​IMG]
    drhippie2, Don T, Foiler and 46 others like this.