KTM 500exc RTW...on as much dirt as possible (the test rides)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why the big bike and who lent it to you?

edit.... 790 or larger required.... ahhhh i see
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They say 2 cylinders, nothing about size.
  3. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome to see this from the two perspectives! (I'd have gotten lost trying to follow those markers, and it sure looked like that tunnel was a little small for a rider!)
  4. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    Good job. That is hard work on that tight stuff with a big bike.
  5. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Let me find a gas station thats still in business then this dog and pony show can continue...

[​IMG]
    MrKiwi, Dracula, boboneleg and 36 others like this.
  6. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was planning a route to hells canyon, locating the gas stations on google maps. For some reason the last station was found as a convience store, a sinclair gas station.? Another set of pumps was found in the reviews of a cafe-store. ?
  7. reed valve

reed valve Just ride.....

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah!!!! A RTW Paul RR is the ticket to some great riding and photography
    drhippie2 likes this.
  8. mcliberated

mcliberated Adventurer

Oddometer:
    awesome shots, thank you for posting the rally course video-I was curious how that looked! Pitkin has a special place in my heart-there is a beautiful abandoned mine called Roosevelt Mine. Very eery and fun to explore around. Mounds of old food cans, cast iron stoves strewn about from the old miner’s bunk house, and an enormous set of gears and hammers in a building where they pounded the excavated stones apart. Also the old power house above the creek without floors but with walls. Very much a “Silent Hill” feeling spot. The entrance to the mine is barred, but you can peer in and see the floor has turned to a small creek, and see as far into the abyss with a flashlight before all turns black. Also a fun little geocache box to record who’s been there.
    JagLite and BLucare like this.
  9. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Away from the rally ad back to solo riding and more of the COBDR headed north

[​IMG]

It actually warmed up a little so I took the jacket off and continued and moments later a small water crossing, that appeared to be only a few inches deep, wrong, I found the deep spot, over two feet. If I was running slow not an issue, but I hit it at speed and it was like a bow wave and ten buckets of water came over the front of the bike and I was drenched.

Things happen for a reason, around the corner this

[​IMG]

I stopped for a while to dry off, and had a closer look

[​IMG]

Sitting there in the sun drying off it makes you think of how things were, the building considered large for its day, and not only a home but a business as well, but today it would be a small house. Just shows how much our values have changed and the bigger is better principle is in effect.

You can imagine the travelers coming over the hill and finding this place as a reprieve from the snow or the heat, and literally in the middle of nowhere for its time

[​IMG]

Ending the day after some great riding. Tent. Bike. Fire. great combination

[​IMG]

...and when the sun goes down, a million-star location

[​IMG]
  10. reed valve

reed valve Just ride.....

Oddometer:
    What a beaut place to camp.
    Digging the RR man, thanks for sharing
    rtwpaul likes this.
  11. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    a night under the stars then a morning high of 23 degrees will make you want to look for a way down off a mountain! Funny how deceptive a photo can make a place look...warm and sunny right? yeah, nah!

[​IMG]

I had caught back up with Jay and Huey riding north on the COBDr, so we joined forces again and headed towards Wyoming

[​IMG]

Really not much out here to shout about, long straights, little deserted towns, best to be prepared

[​IMG]

Another day another camp spot and another local microbrew

[​IMG]

...and another night by the fire, talking shit and telling lies...good times, Jay has a glow going

[​IMG]

Another wake-up call of below freezing, and this had been in the sun awhile and still, couldn't get over 27 degrees

[​IMG]

There was potentially a couple of days riding across southern Wyoming and southern ID to reach the start of the IDBDR, but would this be a wise choice, winter is coming early this year

[​IMG]

We were all wearing multiple layers but the day saw a high of 41...not fun for hours on end, and these two have grip heaters :vardy

[​IMG]

Out of the deserted windy areas of southern WY and into more treed areas of southern ID, but the devastation at every turn from forest fires is tough to see

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fires have been bad along the IDBDR for the past two years. When we rode it there was no reason to stop for the views since all we could see was smoke.

Thanks Paul for taking us along!
    adventurebound9517 likes this.
  13. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Paul, sorry I missed you when you blew through Buenie. I was in NC at the time. Good to see you back posting again since I enjoy your photos and reports so much. Have a great time, wherever you go.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  14. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    After meeting Paul in Breckenridge, I have to start following. Good stories and even a greater guy!
  15. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    so much for doing daily updates, my stellar Cricket phone service couldn't connect that much and not at all in WY, and rarely can I upload a photo to here so I guess you get the updates as I can get them to you...apologies

I get a brief connection and post this photo to IG (from earlier in the RR), it's all I could do...and caption it - "not Peru!"

[​IMG]

finish lunch, walk outside and if you were in Peru what would you expect to see? Yep!

[​IMG]

too funny...

anyhow riding on -

the difference is immediate crossing to Idaho, the wind drops, greenery increases

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the track gets better

[​IMG]

views for miles crossing the bottom of the state

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tracks we were following were some I got from a guy who bought some dirt bike stuff from me last year, he said they were good, occasionally technical but fun, we agreed

right up to this point, the track went from graded, to two-track to single track to a decent that seemed OK, but by then you're committed, mainly because Jay and his S10 would be a bitch to get back up where we'd ridden down. Then it got really steep, but of course, a photo flattens it out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

he got to the bottom but his legs were shaking, you can see him down there, so I got a glory shot of him as the track widened back up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

at the bottom, the view was something that John Constable would have loved to paint, a serene landscape

[​IMG]
  16. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're really doing your job here, Paul! Every single post I want to quit my job and head to wherever you just left!
    78er, outbacktm, rtwpaul and 6 others like this.
  17. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul I hit the like button all the time, but sometimes I just have to reply.

Your photos are amazing!!!!

I ride and just take snap shots. Your work makes me want to put more effort into my picture taking.

Inspiring.
    78er, ScotsFire, Bacchusman and 9 others like this.
  18. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, that last one was pretty amazing
    RedHawk47 and rtwpaul like this.
  19. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul for sharing. Simply awesome.
  20. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Last minute reminder, @DingWeed, and the 3 step hideaway are doing their Alpine Rendevous starting tomorrow for 3 days of riding and good times. If you are in the 4 corners area come over, I'll be there with a few friends as well, if you wanted to say hello