KTM 500exc RTW...on as much dirt as possible (the test rides)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Pack bike. Ride out of the driveway. Don't come home until you are satisfied...

I know, easier said than done but that's how it happens and most stay out there longer than expected. So much to see so little time
    Red_dog, drhippie2, Dracula and 6 others like this.
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    There's a change in the air, and color in the trees

[​IMG]

Down a lonely dirt road

[​IMG]

I actually had no idea 'exactly' where I was, I stopped for a break and there was a light misting of rain and it seemed like as good a place as any, but a perfect 90-degree bend and a tall block of stone on the corner caught my eye as something unusual

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

right here, IS the southwest corner of Wyoming

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided enough was enough of the cold and it was time to head south for sure, so we rode along the state line and looked for a track south to try and get to the start of the UTBDR.

I have so many tracks I just linked a few together and we were off, big problem, the route went up in elevation!

...and then the snow started

[​IMG]

No stopping Jay and his bow wave producing water crossings

[​IMG]

I get way ahead of the other two and come round a corner and kill my motor immediately, in front of me in the distance

[​IMG]

Happenings like this are mesmerizing, and sometimes gone in an instant. This female moose just stood and looked at me as much as I was looking at her...then...she walked in a circle trying to watch me if I moved at all

[​IMG]

as she did so she must have made a motion that it was safe and a small young moose appeared, and now the three of us were checking each other out.

[​IMG]

If you know anything about moose, the females are not the problem, the males are, is he close? I really didn't want to find out as they can be very aggressive, the others arrived, saw what I saw for a split second and then we made enough noise to scare them away and to hopefully put us in safety

Time to drop down in elevation and the warmth that the thick Aspens provide

[​IMG]
    Watercat, MrKiwi, roadcapDen and 67 others like this.
  3. Blumtnman

Blumtnman Rider

Oddometer:
    Wow, what an update and sharing the trail with a wild Moose. Fantastic.
  4. Gone_Ridin

Gone_Ridin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually the cow is the one to worry about. It can have the protection viciousness of a mama bear when the calf is in danger. A bull is generally more interested in getting laid and is unpredictable during fall rutt. Many years moose hunting in Northwestern Ontario.
    Great pics and report
  5. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly.
    Mama Moose are the ones we keep clear of here in Alaska.
    They will charge and kill if they feel their calf(ves) are threatened at all.
    Bulls are dangerous in mating season.
  6. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    I was riding an ATV in Northeast Utardia one day and came around a corner to see a mama moose and her calf. Knowing their temperament, I came to a quick stop and proceeded to turn around. She was about 50 yards away and it took me only a few seconds to reverse course. By the time I got turned around and speeding in the opposite direction, looking over my shoulder, she had closed the gap and I swear I could feel her breath on my neck. I was able to outrun her, but only just. Super scary.

Another cool encounter, this time with a bull moose...I was backpacking in the Wind River Range in WY with some friends. One day, after setting up camp and while filtering water, we watched a bull moose diving, yes diving, into the lake. He would scrape the bottom of the lake with his antlers, emerge from the lake with flora dredged from the lake bottom dangling from his rack, trundle back to the beach, deposit the flora, then eat it. Probably one of the most fascinating wildlife moments of my life.
    td63, Junya, climberevan and 27 others like this.
  7. jammasterjay

jammasterjay GypsyJayRides

Oddometer:
    I practiced dropping my S10 in front of that gas station, complete with “stop, drop, and roll” barrel rolls.
    td63, JagLite and joenuclear like this.
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sooo...I had a thought the other day about boots. Having read almost all of your threads over the years the topic of boots has come up a number of times. Have you thought of doing a boot write up similar to your tire writeup with a review of all of the boots you’ve tried over the last however many years?

Of course this is self serving as I ponder what I want for Siberia:D
    JagLite likes this.
  9. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is pretty dang magical.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  10. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    68C7203F-112E-4BF4-BFCD-A4CE4D41A90A.jpeg

Hope you don’t mind me jumping your story ahead a wee bit.......but it was great seeing you at the 3 step hideaway.
    I’d been out a couple months and ran into a few friends and Paul.
    I’m more like “Round The Block Dog”.
    Had my Honda 250 Rally and rode it a lot there.

2CEC4364-3205-4043-90DC-CB6508823E38.jpeg

Attached Files:

MrKiwi, bomose, eakins and 33 others like this.
  11. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I love this shot Paul, we don't get vast landscapes like this in the UK (as you know only too well)
    JagLite, rtwpaul, Red_dog and 5 others like this.
  12. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:

Just got back into Wi-Fi range been way off the grid for a while.

Sure I can do this. Winter will be setting in, in Phoenix and temps will drop to a bitterly cold mid 70s, so too cold to venture outside...:jackI'll get something written up for you
    JagLite, mb300, SunshineTom and 9 others like this.
  13. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Great to meet you too and congratulations on the award. I'll be in touch soon
    Red_dog likes this.
  14. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Lots more vistas to come
    JagLite, BLucare, drhippie2 and 3 others like this.
  15. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now I know where to go to do some test miles on the winter project. Have a cousin down there also.
  16. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul - been enjoying the sweet pics and the story as it unfolds. Quick question - it looks like after the reboot about a month ago the bike started appearing with a different windscreen. I know in your build report you discussed/showed mounting a BajaWorx. But these later pics show a distinctly more curved windscreen. It looks good and a bit taller, so I imagine the wind deflection would be a bit better. Who makes it and was there a reason for the switch? (And apologies if I missed a prior mention - couldn’t find one here or in the build thread.)
    1FFA704C-A583-4E8A-B597-9DF4DA6F61C6.jpeg
  17. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I'll be addressing this in the build thread as soon as I get back to Phoenix, i will go over all the mods I did, what worked, what didn't and what will be staying or leaving the bike before it gets shipped, stay tuned
  18. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm back

after the last post, I kinda figured I'd be riding for about another week, well that turned in 6 weeks more, literally thousands of photos to go thru, but carrying on from the last post...

A few more minor river crossings, good Siberia water crossing training is what I'm thinking, @jammasterjay has a different approach, kind of Jeremy Clarkson mentality..P-O-W-E-R!!! Here comes another bow wave

[​IMG]

Somewhere northwest of Park City UT, up on a dirt road on the UTBDR, a logging crew has taken over a section, it might have been updated on the BDR website but none of us had a signal so we just encountered fallen trees all over the place and a lumberjack who turned us around.

Backtracking a shepherd was blocking the next track with his sheep, at this point all any of us wanted was hot food. He directed us to a restaurant in a small town, that he said: "has the best burgers in town!"
    They had the only burgers in town!!! :fpalm
    ...but they were good and had a fire going

it took 4 hours of riding in the snow to find the place

[​IMG]

OK, off to rummage through photos...more later

:hide
    elron, JagLite, Pete S and 40 others like this.
  19. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    Looks like a knight with a lance!
  20. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good-lookin sheep!
    joenuclear likes this.