KTM 500exc RTW...on as much dirt as possible (the test rides)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, we all get a little lonely out on the road, sometimes, I suppose.
    ChicoProf, 78er, mikegc and 6 others like this.
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Between the three of us, we knew nothing about the UTBDR except that we all had a version, from when, who knows...simple solution, just ride it and take it as it comes

[​IMG]

this road leads us to this sign

[​IMG]

this is right before Timber Canyon, unbeknown to us about a year or so earlier there had been a landslide that blocked the canyon road miles later, oblivious we continue :lol3

Around the corner, you see this sand wonder if there's going to be landmines to slalom around, or was that sign put there by a rancher to scare people away...sometimes fun to be oblivious

[​IMG]

Then this

[​IMG]

a water crossing not a huge one but very silty so I offer to go ride it and see what's ahead, their two overladed bikes 'might sink', from the other side I snap a shot of the real distance, zoomed in and at full range

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a few tire tracks that seemed to be fresh on the other side so I ride back across tell them we have found our 'risk' and the crossing is easy, not more than axle deep and the base is firm so we continue on

[​IMG]

A few miles later we find more of the same but a lot worse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took off trying to find a way through for all of us, to no avail, all I could see when I got through this is a mass of boulders the size of Volkswagen Beetles going off into the distance, where the track is supposed to be

I reviewed my GPS track from the BDR guys just to be sure we had accidentally stumbled on a new super extreme expert segment...nope!

As I'm heading back to the guys a bunch of sidexsides is approaching, the first three completely ignore us and me as try to wave them down to let them know there is quicksand and they will probably sink, they know better and continue...and all sink

Then a few more sidexsides approaches and stop before the obvious mess, one guy we speak with is a local and brought some 'Texan Tourists' as he calls them to show them the mess and damage. He continues, "they are a little hot-headed, know it all types, and now it looks like I'll be here a while."

He asks if we are on the BDR, and did we see that there is a route around because this has been here for around a year and most likely never be corrected.

In unison, we all say "no!' :fpalm

We have no choice but to double back, find wifi and also find the reroute, we have time, life is still good

[​IMG]

Petroglyphs are everywhere

[​IMG]

Find a good camping spot for the night, take some blurred nighttime shots and reroute in the morning is the new plan

[​IMG]
  3. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those deep lengthy water crossings would be dealbreakers for me, pretty fun to see.
    Davidprej likes this.
  4. powderpig

powderpig Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang, that is incredible photography. Thanks for taking us along, Paul.
  5. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Where are ya now? It'd be cool to cross paths. I'm gonna be drifting around the desert over the next week.
    theailer and chilejack like this.
  6. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I had a minor SNAFU of a $7 aftermarket part that has made the bike totally unrideable (this is why I do long test rides), so now it is on a motorcycle lift at a friends awaiting parts to do a fix that this part created, so will have to take a rain check on the meet up
    skibum69 and philthyphil like this.
  7. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to hearing more about that, even if it is rather inconvenient. :evil
    rtwpaul likes this.
  8. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul,
    Great meeting you at 3-step, hope it's not the 'lectrical gremlin you were fixing that reared it's head again. Looking forward to hearing how you liked the north rim... Great RR, thanks for the wonderful photos & commentary.
    d
    rtwpaul likes this.
  9. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reading RTW reports for nearly 20 years, aftermarket part failure run at the top of the list.
    Wind_Rider, derblauereiter and Fast1 like this.
  10. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    And the part was....?

Don't want to put it on my 500. Thanks!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  11. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    as you ride south on the UTBDR all the views are amazing and one view seems to trump the previous and so on.

Not on the BDR, is Shafer Switchbacks and the road to the White Rim.

Huey had a friend who offered us a place to sleep in Moab so we made the most of it and I took them for a ride to seem one of the best views of all. This.

[​IMG]

There is something majestic about sitting up here, looking down. I cannot resist riding here EVERY TIME I'm in Moab

To lighten the mood Huey worked on his new Tinder shot...:jack

[​IMG]

I rode down from the top to the bottom and left the guys up there by themselves to take their time and take their photos, it would be a while

[​IMG]

Once you've ridden Shafer a few times you look at it a totally different way, it no longer is a place where you stop every hundred feet to take a new photo, or a case of riding for safety.

All I did was find myself power sliding around the corner terrifying the tourists in their rental 4 wheel drives

[​IMG]

I found one of the only trees at the bottom and took a nap in the shade while I waited, when they finally arrived I sent them out to Muscleman Arch and continued my nap :snore

[​IMG]

with an hour or so of daylight left the guys returned and we headed off down Potash towards Wall Street

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jay was very generous to let me eat his dust on the way back

[​IMG]
    scudo, elron, Rich Rider and 45 others like this.
  12. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The MOAB shots again, they never fail to impress.
    mikegc and rtwpaul like this.
  13. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    I plan on riding them again. Looks like the weather was perfect for you!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  14. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Rode there again a few weeks later (coming later) temps had dropped so it was even more betta
    ScotsFire and joenuclear like this.
  15. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Likewise, I never tire of Moab. Truly a stunning place to ride, again, again and again.
    mikegc likes this.
  16. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul. I'm about to buy a screen for my 500 and I'm dying to know what the new screen is that you've installed on yours. Any chance you can spill the beans a little early on the screen? :-)

Thank you! Bruce
  17. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    That is an old screen I had laying around from screens for bikes from Australia and its foe a dr650 but fit perfectly.

The purpose of using it was to get the feel for a rally fairing and riding with a screen that hi and if it bothered me

I never knew it was there at all didn't obstruct my at all
    JagLite likes this.
  18. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Looks like the Bajaworx DR650 screen?
    Appears to bolt nicely to the KTM mask.

Paul, did not you care for the Bajaworx for the KTM you wrapped in white?
  19. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I found the BW screen was at a really bad angle, it directed the airflow to the underside of my helmet, so along with air came bugs, the quality wasn't great, the Lexan/ plastic was extremely thin, the mounts made of plastic seemed like an afterthought, and it didn't take long for one to break.

their DR650 screen looks to do the same, so the difference with the screens for bikes version it has an upturned/ out turned top lip which directs air more vertically, screen thickness is about double (of the one i had laying around) but they make one double that thickness which I think is a requirement as I will manage to break this one while riding with a little to much carefree abandon...coming soon
  20. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Paul! Do you happen to remember the brand? I want one...