KTM 500exc RTW...on as much dirt as possible (the test rides)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out Britannia Composites, very well made, light fibreglass fairings. That’s what I’m putting on my 525 for Siberia. Ian is a great guy with great customer service.
    http://www.britanniacomposites.com/
    MFS, KayDubbya and BLucare like this.
  3. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2old2Bbold likes this.
  4. Iceman68

Iceman68 Tank Slapper

Oddometer:
    I just want to say this has been the best riding reports I've read in the 11 years as an inmate here.
    I've literally laughed out loud a half a dozen times already. :D
    Zubb and rtwpaul like this.
  5. chinditone

chinditone Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    what state's drivers have the most bumper stickers...Utah and particularly Moab is up there

[​IMG]

With our wheels kinda pointed towards 4 corners we head south, and finally a little section of Utah I haven't ridden before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

no choice but a little pavement

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and back to the dirt

[​IMG]

Our last night together I take Jay and Huey to Valley of the Gods to wild camp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the morning we hit the 4 Corners Monument, I've ridden by here dozens of times but never actually come in.

[​IMG]

Huey wanted to continue his Tinder cover shot collection...you can caption this yourself!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After riding together thru 4 states meeting as random strangers, we saddled up and rode our separate ways...but all of headed back into Colorado

[​IMG]
  7. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    A quick ride to Cortez for celebratory and goodbye lunch then we all head our separate ways.

I'd arranged to meet @philthyphil in Ouray for his birthday, a little too much slab caused me an issue, somehow I got a slashed tire right out of Silverton, and multiple air up gave me an even slower ride than expected to Ouray.

The following morning assessing the damage I had no choice but to go and find a tire, Montrose was the closest location (I'll go into this more in the build thread when I do a review) a couple of hours of just driving, lucky Phil had his truck

By the time it was fitted and we'd grabbed a bite and we were geared up ready to ride it was after 1 pm...I'm not a morning person :snore to me, a good riding day is starting around 11, finishing around 1 with an hour for lunch, what the rush!!!

With only maybe 4 to 5 hours of daylight, I called my buddy @jwrover , a fellow skinny bike rider (who was out of town sadly) who owns http://kjwooddistillers.com/ to ask him about hands-on recent conditions as I know he'd just ridden a bunch of passes with @D-Train

His suggestion to leave Ouray, ride Corkscrew, Hurricane, California, drop into Silverton then back via Red Mountain. Only about a 60-mile ride but it 'can' clock in around 4 hours, photos, traffic, idiots on side by sides and jeeps who think they own the place, rest stops, etc.

In less than an hour, we'd done Corkscrew, Hurricane and California with a little spirited riding, so we added to the list, with two flybys of Animas Forks, Cinnamon, and Engineer with a stop in Lake City as well

The visuals, if you've been you'll recognize it all, if you haven't - quit your job sell your house and move to Colorado...NOW!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Birthday boy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why you should ride with a photographer...you get to be in most of the shots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lake Como

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the backside of Cinnamon, Phil had a good off, doing a little helmet damage but nothing could dampen his birthday spirits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Down thru the Aspens to Lake City

[​IMG]

Lake City up to Engineer

[​IMG]

and back via Animas Forks and onto Silverton via the 'Ice Canyon' from last winters avalanche

[​IMG]

and into Silverton just after 5, one hell of a good afternoon of riding...happy birthday buddy, now find some warm clothes we still have Red Mountain to get over

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NSFW, Iceman68, 08StangGT_CS and 57 others like this.
  8. scudo

scudo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The valley of the gods, WOW. Did the 4 corners back in 1990, the first time I went to the USA, but I was in a car, it was still great fun though. Great writing and pictures Paul. Since reading your RR I'm going to order some Moskomoto pannier's for my F800, before this brexit shit happens.
    78er and rtwpaul like this.
  9. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Terrible advice. But you're all welcome to visit.:thumb
  10. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent photos as usual! I've been on those trails many times, clogging them up with my Jeep! Black Bear and Imogene are two great trails to make a day out of from Ouray. I've been following your adventures for a couple years now. You've inspired me to get an ADV bike! Picking up my DR650 next week!
    Klinc207, derblauereiter and HiJincs like this.
  12. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    What I consider a rest day, we threw the bikes in the back of Phil's truck and headed to the 3 Step Hideaway, @DingWeed had set up a surprise event hidden inside another event. I was aware that this was happening as was everybody else in attendance besides two people, Mark @BigDogAdventures and his wife. It was great to be there to see him get his well-deserved award.

If you didn't hear or read about it, I wrote an article for the front page HERE - Alpine Rendevous At The 3 Step Hideaway & Surprise Award Ceremony For BigDog, please add something in the comments if you know Mark

The following day it was time for riding, we chat with @DingWeed to get a track, not really caring where we ride we just want to ride.

@neduro joins us and we set off. Have you ever ridden with a Dakar rider?

Fast!

Holy. Fucking. Shit!!!

I stay with him for a massive 150 yards in his wheel tracks...then he was gone. For some reason, we got separated :hmmmmmand never found each other again we waited in one spot while Ned was waiting in another :lol3

[​IMG]

eventually, we heard him, but couldn't see him, he'd doubled back on another track, back to the 3 Step, so we knew he was safe so we carried on

A few minutes before this shot, coming up a climb I had a little whiskey throttle wheelying up a section of rock and looped the bike landing it perfectly on the windshield

[​IMG]

It was just on the bike for a test to see if having a screen affected my view or felt bad riding, it didn't at all but a little modification will have to happen.

Riding on, a few on the climbs were a little crazy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A minor fix on Phil's bike before heading back for some amazing food and hospitality

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following day we made a decision to head to Moab, Phil had to head back to MT at the end of the day so it made sense to head a little further north to reduce his trip back.

...but which track to ride - White Rim of course

I haven't ridden it since 2012, and I tell Phil it's down there somewhere

[​IMG]
  13. reed valve

reed valve Just ride.....

Oddometer:
    This ride just gets better and better, living the life Paul
    Are you happy with the KTM? It seems to be a seriously good machine, far more capable than one would think
  14. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I read your comment and was gonna just reply, "love it".

...but it kinda made me think a little more. In 2013 I was looking for a new (to me) bike to continue riding RTW, since then this is the 6th bike I've bought and its the most capable one for sure.

I'm not into riding fast anymore, or big HP, I just want to ride and if I see a track go up it to see what's there, basically just go without a second thought, that's what this bike does for your riding, :hmmmmmI also know that if I take a crazy track and I'm by myself I can have an off, and be able to pick this 500 up in just about any scenario and carry on. And if it happens I can do that 15 or 20 times in one day and the next and the next, to me that is huge.

So in hindsight, THIS IS the bike I should have bought at the end of 2013, it's more capable than I will ever be, easily powerful enough, can carry all I need, lightweight to reduce shipping costs, parts available everywhere (just about) if not I call my buddy @hobomoped at tacomoto and he will get it to me, really easy to work on.

If I had chosen it back then in hindsight what would the adventure have been? Same or different, who knows, but after riding it this year it has got me a few crazy offers of places to ride and that will be next year, so I guess this bike is giving me a second chance at CRAZY.

Next year WILL.BE.NUTS. and not exactly what I had originally planned - KTM are you watching>>>>:lurk
    78er, ricochetrider, elron and 25 others like this.
  15. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    The White Rim is a must-do ride, mostly one time unless I guess if you live in Moab or have friends who have never done it. @philthyphil hadn't so off we go.

It's down there, where the track disappears, it round the corner

[​IMG]

This day was more about riding not photos, we were just tearing it up like a couple of hooligans to make sure we finished the 100-mile + loop in time for me to still be able to ride back the 2-hour ride to the 3-step in daylight, sunset is 7 pm, start time just after midday...lets go!

First thing, as Phils afraid of heights a little send him out on Muscleman arch even though we found out later you're not allowed to do anymore, whoops, sorry :dirtdog at least he wasn't on his bike doing a wheelie across it :muutt

[​IMG]

The White Rim is just a photo opportunity after photo opportunity, time to show some restraint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

glamour shot, nice windshield dude!

[​IMG]

Sense of scale

[​IMG]

just so you know you are a minor spec on the blue planet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

near the end

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and that was all I took, sorry!!!

Phil got loaded up and headed north, I headed back to the 3-step and about 45 minutes from arriving as the sun was going down, I lost all lights. I arrived at dusk and then spent the whole of the next day chasing an electrical fault that I never found, and still haven't.

The conclusion was/ is - zip ties! I took off literally two handfuls of them and somehow I think one or some of them were pulling too tight (somehow) and creating a short/ ground/ intermittent connection.

Two handfuls were replaced with five, literally and since then no issues. A day later than planned I head off to the Grand Canyon to meet a superstar ADVrider...more soon
    Iceman68, Zubb, danh600 and 51 others like this.
  16. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing a great couple days of riding. Had a blast, with great company. Until next time!

Such a long time to get this posted I was starting to think you got a job...

:photog
    rtwpaul and dave6253 like this.
  17. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful shots......desktop material for sure, thank you!!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  18. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I don't have time for work, too many cool places still left to ride
    78er, cprbusa, elron and 10 others like this.
  19. leighwgold

leighwgold Ph.D. of B.S. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul. A totally useless bit of info, I’ve stopped using cable ties and now make my own Velcro ties, 1/2” wide, and reusable over and over.
  20. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Good idea. They also sell Velcro ties in a variety of purty colors in case you don't want to make your own. I'd just never thought of using them to replace zip ties.