KTM 500exc RTW...on as much dirt as possible (the test rides)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    The tent is by the best tent I've ever owned and I had a few over the years, loads of space for one person, easy set up, very stable in the wind, tiny pack size, good materials, breathes and vents well
    AdvMoto18 and JagLite like this.
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    It is awesome @Sideoff Pete and the team did an amazing job, I'll do a write up soon for the front page about all the details, but it short, they got it right and hit it out of the park with the riding gear
  3. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool, I had a cursory look at it at the MOA. Can’t justify it for myself at this point.
  4. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    all comes down to your style of riding, if a full set up of body armor is what you wear then this goes over the top, most of the time you'll notice I'm not wearing the jacket and its on the top of my R80 held there with two Voile straps, it rolls up nice and small and light.

...but if you don't wear a compression suit/ shirt and want armor in jacket that is not held in place maybe its not the right set up as its made for a very specific type usage
  5. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    I've been wearing the Mosko Baslisk for a bit now. Very comfortable jacket and pant design allowing you to scale your armor as you see fit.

@Sideoff Pete got me the ForceField Harness a few years ago. Like it a lot under the Basilisk jacket. I've also tried the Leatt 5.5 chest protector but prefer the Forcefield's lower profile for days on end adventure style riding.
  6. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Thats great, both of those armor options don't work for me, I tried them and they just don't fit, I'm too big for there biggest size, so I have swapped back and forth between a Dianese and an old Acerbis set up i have, both work well, just a matter of deciding which one goes for the long haul
    AdvMoto18 likes this.
  7. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Good to hear about its wind sturdiness. I was concerned about pole design in a stiff wind.

I had a Nemo tent about blow away on a trip to Baja. I immediately bought a Hilleberg Unna after the Baja trip and I really like it. It is fine tent when camping off the R1200GS but too heavy and bulky (packed up) for the 500. I'm using the BA Copper Spur HV UL1 (not the BikePack version) on the 500.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  8. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    i used to use Hilleberg but when away from them, I have used 1 man tents in the past but now use a 2 man, the reason will be coming up very soon why I want my gear inside
  9. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    I can get all my gear inside the Unna; it's actually a 1.5 person tent. Kind of tough to get the all my gear inside the Copper Spur UL1; will likely purchase the Fly Creek UL2 Bikepack this winter for next year. I have had my fair share of run-in with scorpions and rattlesnakes out west. Copperheads and skunks here in SC.

Camping on the way from Medellin to Cali, Columbia several years ago, we camped in a farmer's field (with permission). We awakened the next morning and discovered we were surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of Tarantulas. Wasn't a single spider to be seen when we pitched tents about an hour before sundown. We dropped by the farmer's house heading out and told him about the spiders and he just shrugged. Glad I recalled they are not aggressive and usually do not bite humans or it might have been a long wait for them to wander off.

Getting ALL your gear inside the tent is sound practice.
    mpfgrs and JagLite like this.
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I have an armour setup I use with Klim Dakar pants and an old school Ascerbis jacket that has a zip off collar to go over a Leatt brace. For long hauls I wear my Klim Adventure suit with built in armour that also has a collar option to go over a Leatt brace. Right now the Mosko gear does not offer a Leatt compatible option.
  11. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adventure Spec does.
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Adventure Spec partnered with Klim to develop the Adventure suit.
  13. OMB

OMB n00b

Oddometer:
    ..love your writing. Can’t wait to get back to the US/Colorado.
  14. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paul, great "tune-Up" RR, Dave really knows that area. Thanks (every-time) for your great RRs w/photos.
    re:BA Tents, I'm using another similar-sized 2P from BAgnes "Blacktail 2" (long poles, heavier). They are great tents, and if you ever have a service issue, these guys are very good. Additionally I use their bag/pad sleep system, for my most comfortable sleeping, camping or not.

Paul, Thx again

Mike B.
    Downey, CA
  15. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, Adv Spec tailoring & sizing don't cut it (pun intended) for me as a bigger person. Good design concepts but just don't fit folks like me well. (6'3", long legs ,long arms, and a bit of a gut at 275 lbs). Haven't tried one on but based on MOA's sizing charts have same concerns re the Basilisk... but will try one on one these days.
    skibum69 likes this.
  16. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    As a teenager hunting in Idaho it was not uncommon to get run off a trail by moose. Many a time we turned our Yamaha 80 and 100 around and scooted away as they can be quite mean. We even had a big bull once block the forest service road and spar with our truck.
    Thanks for posting this Paul. It spurs a lot of memories.
    JagLite likes this.
  17. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Paul, thank you for this ride report. You are putting smiles on my face every time I log in to read another couple pages. this is truly your best to date.
    mom having a WONDERFUL time from my couch.
    JagLite likes this.
  18. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Finally. Caught up. +++ on Dusty at @West38Moto
    I just took his 2 day off road skills class. Can’t say enough about it. Exceptional teacher and affordable. Changed a LOT for me off road.
  19. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    You know when you wake up in your tent, it's freezing cold, you can see your breath, but you're set up in the trees so even if the sun was warm it couldn't get to you...so you just say to yourself 5 more minutes, then 5 more.

After all of that, it was still cold but I got up, packed most of my stuff then just to piss myself off turn the key on my bike to check the real temperature on the trail tech...25f, and the sun has been up for over an hour!

[​IMG]

Dave wasn't around so I figured he'd gone to take some shots, so I went looking for him. The morning mist was rising thru the Canyon, quite a sight to see and just watch as it slowly becomes more and more visible

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This high up in the GrandCanyon, the Aspens are turning and the colors are amazing, the track is fast

[​IMG]

...but we have to stop for traffic and the morning rush hour for the locals

[​IMG]

I took this next shot at, taken on one of the points and looking at makes me realize I need to get a heat shield for my pipe, that'd be a little Basilisk Pant print at the front there.

[​IMG]

As we were riding by the North Rim Visitor Center, it is good to show you what more than 90% of people who visit the Grand Canyon get to see, definitely not the best point, if only they'd got @dave6253 GCBAR tracks

[​IMG]

A few hours later down a dirty dusty trail, we are back to having the GC for ourselves again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The day finished at Point Sublime, if only those crowds knew what they were missing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No need for a tent out here tonight, another clear sky and significantly warmer than the night before, picnic table will do me

[​IMG]

and let the sun set

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding pics! So, tarantulas don’t climb picnic tables? Just asking.
    JagLite likes this.