KTM 500exc RTW...on as much dirt as possible (the test rides)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
    Exactly what I thought! :rofl
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    your timeline is out I haven't had the face to face yet
    JagLite and dave6253 like this.
  3. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking of riding in 25 degree weather makes my hands turn to stone...do you have grip heaters or just naturally good blood circulation?
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a good spin on the 1100S yesterday, between 11° & 8°C with a little precipitation. Probably my last longer run this year.

As for your pants I don’t remember if they put any heat shields on the Basilisk? My Klim’s have leather but then I guess it depends what part of your pants come in contact.
  5. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    no grip heaters, I find that with aluminum bars they just don't work that well because the aluminum absorbs too much of the heat, so I just ride, when my hands get cold, I stop get off the bike and I warm them up with the exhaust
    JagLite likes this.
  6. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    There is leather on the inside of the leg, thats what hit the pipe, and black leather (dye) was left on the pipe, pants were still good. but it was a quick touch so now searching for a heat shield
    JagLite likes this.
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Got you.

As for grip heaters I filled my 640 bars with spray foam for better insulation. I have appreciated them on that machine more than once. The factory grip heaters on the 100S are nice too.
  8. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Steel bars on my S10, I have to take my hands off the grips, they literally burn my hands
    Yinzer Moto and skibum69 like this.
  9. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I just found my next wallpaper. That second from last night shot is stunning......well, they all are!
  10. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some heat shrink tubing on the handlebar before applying the grip heater, makes
    It work much better. Our a couple wraps of electrical tape.
  11. Beetle66

Beetle66 n00b

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you have posted it, but what are you doing for service and at what intervals. I read the build and have gone through the RR a few times, not sure if I missed it. Love the night pics.
  12. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    The oil service interval (for racing) is around 15 hours (or approx 500 miles) according to the manual. This is not even closely possible when riding as a dual sporter/ motopacking, or to my mind necessary.

I do not ride at race speeds or anything close to it, full-throttle on a 500 exc in the dirt is not for the faint of heart!

So based on that oil changes can be stretched significantly, I 'look' to change the oil at around 1000 to 1250 miles, and each time I have done that the oil has looked in good shape. This appears to common practice amongst 500exc riders who dual-sport more than race.

Arguments for and against this have been discussed to exhaustion, all I am telling you is this is what I do, and will continue doing (YMMV), I carry an oil change where necessary and spare filters, so I am always covered, 4000km is a long way so consistent oil changes are not an issue and maybe take 10 minutes tops.

I dropped some used Motorex 10/60 oil (1300 miles use) off at a friend who had it analyzed, the verbal response for the analysis in concise wording - "the oil was close to the end of its life"
    BillUA, AdvMoto18, SmilinJoe and 8 others like this.
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Is it surprising that after only 1300 miles the oil would be at the end of its life? I guess that reinforces the regular change theory.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  14. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or strip the rubber off a lock-on grip for the clutch side, add heater element, and the grip(s) of choice. The ATV element kits have the same size for throttle and clutch side. RMATV sells a lock-on kit so you get the benefit of the tube on the clutch side, but the throttle tube/cam is bike specific and may not be available.
  15. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    lots of slow 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear riding on hot days on that oil, so could definitely last longer but good to know as a baseline reference
  16. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Getting woken up before I wanted to be, and not by a tarantula. Not in a tent, the sun came through the trees like a bullet right on my badly positioned face, never thought to have my body in a correctly oriented position as I fell asleep, cause I'm used to the tent helping out.

[​IMG]

...but something does have to be said for not being in a tent and waking up, opening your eyes and seeing this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Packing was quick and we were off making dust trails again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fires on the other side of the canyon were going a lot stronger than the day before due to high winds overnight

[​IMG]

Today's destination was Jump up Point, just need to ride around this crack in the earth

[​IMG]

A stop at Jump up Cabin was a good place to make lunch...they have a table! If you are planning to ride the GCBAR you should know that if you want a solid roof over your head for a night, you can rent the cabin.

[​IMG]

We arrived at Jump up Point earlier than expected and were surprised to see someone else here, a couple with a jeep, we chatted for a while and then they headed back to town to a hotel so we had the point to ourselves, or so we thought

[​IMG]

As the elevation is lower here, it seemed like a good spot to again not use a tent and go to sleep looking at the stars and not thru mosquito netting

I laid out my second groundsheet/ bike cover and lay down to relax while we waited for the sun to set.

[​IMG]

You know when you are asleep or have your eyes closed and you get that sixth sense something or someone is watching you? I open my eyes and about a foot from my face, this...

[​IMG]

I moved, quickly, and he walked a little away from me and then stopped at the end of the groundsheet where a webbing loop was, with an eyelet in it. By now the tarantula had forgotten about me and he apparently mistook the gray strap and eyelet for a snake and went into a defensive pose, or is that attack pose

****This is virtually lifesize for reference
    [​IMG]

His staredown with the strap/ snake lasted about ten minutes, neither of them moved, well one was inanimate!

...and he wandered off, back towards his tree, Dave thought it was funny and asked: "bet you're gonna set your tent up now?"

Yep! I respond.

...and karma, the wonderful thing that it is, reacted in an instant and another tarantula walked towards Dave and climbed up his jacket sleeve that was laying on the ground right next to him.

Which made me wonder about my gear, it was then I realized I had hung it safely in the nearby tree, the spiders home :eek2

[​IMG]

The very same one the tarantula was climbing up, he's right in the middle there

[​IMG]

most everything else out here can't do much harm to you but it does make you wonder how it all survives in this very dry climate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crisis averted it was time to enjoy the view

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for sleep and the tent is up along with the Milky Way and a tree about six feet away, full of tarantulas...good times

[​IMG]
    TaMPerer, Geezerguy, BillUA and 49 others like this.
  17. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Righto, that one has come off my bucket list :yikes :lol3
    cprbusa, imnothng, BLucare and 3 others like this.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Love the little critters, thanks for sharing that with us.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  19. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had a pet tarantula in college. Not the best pet to have, especially when it got out of the cage.:lol3 Not all that friendly..
    BLucare, boboneleg, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  20. BelgardaBuddy

BelgardaBuddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you are enjoying the beautiful landspape even in autum:clap
    rtwpaul likes this.