KTM 500exc RTW...on as much dirt as possible (the test rides)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    A _____________ without green chile is pointless. (Fill in the blank)

I fixed it for you.
  2. ADKbeemer

ADKbeemer Understanding Serendipity

Oddometer:
    In, subscribed...best of luck!
  3. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
  4. ScottTenere

ScottTenere Just want to ride

Oddometer:
    Have been following you for several years, maybe longer, and I am very thankful for the opportunity to follow along in your digital tracks. Safe travels and hope to see you in Flagstaff.
  5. Todd34

Todd34 Toubab

Oddometer:
    In!
  6. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since we moved from Taos to North Carolina I have learned to improvise on the essentials - we roast poblanos on the grill - had green chile cheesburgers last night - not like Blakes (the only fast food I enjoy) but really good.
  7. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    test ride #2 loaded tbh honest didn't feel a hella lot different than unloaded, running about a 90% load.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@dave6253 was riding with me so we were taking a few photos out in the desert west of Phoenix

[​IMG]

Tried riding pavement, double track, and single track, all seemed good with some weight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the bike I have the R40 and Dave has the R80, believe when I say I have TRIED to pack the R40 for RTW riding and tried different sized bags on top but I end up with too much weight up top because I have to carry a computer and camera gear for little jobs that pop up now and again to help fill the tank.

So even though I'd love to be running the R40 for the RTW it just not going to happen, the shape of the gear is the killer, so I'll switch to the R80, not pack it full by any means and be able to drop the weight lower is the added benefit.

Now its time be rolling for real, so the first part of the ride is a big test loop because of coming back to AZ for Overland Expo on May 15th. Before heading to the east coast and the start of the TAT

This section is out o PHX heading westbound to the CABDR, across to the NVBDR (about halfway down) loop back up to Utah and then onto the AZBDR and to OX

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 10.16.02 AM.png
  8. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shouldn’t your license plate be RTW4 ??
    joenuclear likes this.
  9. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Really, yeah, but I got so much shit at a few borders crossings for not enough letters/ numbers I just didn't bother
  10. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick question - How do you pack your photo gear in the R80? And what (lenses/tripod)are you taking? Is your computer in a crash-proof case?

Seriously considering going to MM after weighing my caribou cases (24# (11kg) empty plus racks on the 990) and want luggage ready to go for a smaller bike. Also, ‘tagged’ my calf in some deep sand getting sideways, and definitely see the danger of hard luggage off pavement. Kriega combo OS36 would allow me to run a top box for photo gear, and better security, but MM looks more sorted.
    Thanks,

Kevin
  11. Ed M

Ed M Collector of RFIDs

Oddometer:
    I can't tell by the pictures, but have you upgraded the stock plastic shock preload adjusters to something like the XTRIG preload adjuster?
  12. MihaiVeniamin

MihaiVeniamin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you arrive in SE of Romania, let me know, I can help you around ! Have a good trip !
    kevinsinvegas likes this.
  13. advrockrider

advrockrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't ride Baja as loaded down as you will be but we ride unsupported for 10-12 day trips and I must say the 500 is an amazing bike. Every time I throw a leg over the seat I smile and often times giggle in my helmet, it's that good/fun. I think you have chosen wisely as Aaron has shown, it will be nice not having to turn around because the bike is out of it's element..
  14. locrwln

locrwln Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was a real pleasure to have met you today. Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.

Safe travels.

Jack
    kevinsinvegas likes this.
  15. trailrider77

trailrider77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When testing out the 40 and 80 offroad, how well did they stay put during the ride? Any movement of the bags or having to re-synch the straps?
  16. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cinch, synch would be short for synchronize, but maybe that's what you meant?
    Red_dog likes this.
  17. rkdwp

rkdwp Axel Anderson Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran the 80 for about 30 days on the back of my 690 last year and think I maybe cinched the straps tighter once, maybe twice?, and they probably didn't really need it. the MM mounting design is solid & the bags stay put very well.
    Shadowed_Stranger likes this.
  18. trailrider77

trailrider77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha. I meant re-tighten the straps.
    skibum69 likes this.
  19. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last summer I did 5,000 miles on my V strom with R80 bags. Whenever I checked the straps they were fine. Very impressive design from MM.
  20. HiJincs

HiJincs Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you have them on a rack?