KTM 500exc RTW...on as much dirt as possible

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    C44F0156-58DD-4B6E-B4E7-C977669E8485.jpeg

Paul, If you’re still around there across the highway from Manzanar is the Reward mine. You can ride down the shaft about a half mile. It’s part of the CABDR. We were just there.

Dan
  2. EnterReturn

EnterReturn n00b

Oddometer:
    I
    I’m curious, what happens after a half mile?

John
  3. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:

There is a small turn around area, then you can just ride out again.

Dan
    Perre likes this.
  4. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have known Paul Rodden about 20 years or so.
    Definitely passionate about the sport. Nice guy also.
    Dracula and JagLite like this.
  5. advrockrider

advrockrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paul, could you post the info about you friend that makes the ram balls for mounting accessories? I looked in the build thread (60 pages) but couldn't find it again. Thanks
  6. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://motomanufacturing.com/

Dan
    advrockrider likes this.
  7. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Its Al Jesse former owner of Jesse Luggage, this is his new company @Moto Manufacturing look for the moto dock on his website
  8. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure doesn't look like the Alabama I lived in for awhile. :rofl
    ricochetrider, bomose, NoelJ and 2 others like this.
  9. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    quite honestly that didn't appeal to me at all, I guess too much time in South America and stories of collapsed mine shafts just put me off..two thumpers rolling down there could be the last you'd have seen of us, well until you came to the rescue
    JagLite, 78er, BLucare and 1 other person like this.
  10. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    Paul,
    After reading the less-than-stellar review of the Klim helmet, I'm curious about how you like it so far?
    Anthiron likes this.
  11. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I did comment on that post, don't fully agree with a guy who has a 'few miles' on it, I've got around 75k on mine and not had all the issues he's had. I do prefer it over my heavy Arai. The downfall for me is poor venting in really hot weather, is about the only thing I fully agree with what he said

another inmates comment is the comparison of the Krios with the Nishua Carbon, claiming they are the same, well I actually have both helmets, and they aren't the same

here are the three of them together in the driveway a few years back, Klim, Nishua, Arai

[​IMG]

If they were the same, then they'd weigh the same? Well they don't, a report I read somewhere explained that the Klim had to meet a higher standard level for some testing or other. So the basic shell is the same and that's it really

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weights in lbs/ oz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was wearing the Krios on the CABDR/ test ride but will be changing to the F5 Koroyd. I've been asked to test and review it, weight is the same as the Krios but venting is supposed to be much better as is crash protection. The only reason I didn't start using it yet is the goggles I had weren't a great fit, new ones have now arrived and will be riding in it for the rest of the summer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Klim Krios for years. The venting definitely isn't as good as the Aria but I appreciated the lighter weight. Towards the end I was having an issue with the visor staying up, regardless of speed it kept snapping down. I did like the fact it came with a pinlock as well as a smoked visor. The light weight made it a better helmet vs the XD4 it replaced but the Aria felt like a higher quality helmet and definitely vented better.
  13. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Paul, for taking the time to clear that up. Sorry I missed the comments section on that one. Can't wait to hear what you think of the new helmet. It looks like one complaint (sun coming through the visor) should be taken care of.
  14. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    again not an issue I've had EVER...different shaped heads and eye position I guess
    JagLite likes this.
  15. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    North of Manzanar whats appears as flat and simple riding is sections of deep sand and tracks wandering off in different directions very slightly to get you off track and doubling back...well for me anyway, the tracks in this section weren't that accurate, so I just used them as basic direction.

Lost Kevin a few times then found him again, i was on single track and he was on a dirt highway!

[​IMG]

A few areas of dry lake bed between the sand sections gave a chance to get some speed up

[​IMG]

The track routes you around CalTech, and if you follow me on IG or FB you'll have read my thoughts of this area

Deep in the deserts of California CalTech are listening for Alien interaction and as a side line bonus possibly protecting a large male Redneck population, because for some reason the said Aliens like to butt diddle said Redneck fellas...so if you are one of those fellas say a huge thanks to the eggheads on the left coast
    If you're not getting this then maybe you need to listen to a little more Larry The Cable Guy
    If this still doesn't resonate...cool photo, eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Onto the last section of the CABDR its described - The final stretch of the CABDR is an easy road passing by a massive collection of Petroglyphs at the Fish Slough site. About 8,000 years ago this region was settled by the ancestors of the Bishop Paiute-Shoshone tribe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to take an uneducated none scientific guess (cause I forgot my white lab coat) that not all the markings are from 8000 years ago

[​IMG]

Then its a short ride thru Chidago Canyon and then you're in Benton and you're done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

checking out less ancient Americana at the side of the road

[​IMG]

Cheapest gas we'd seen in days but the NV Stateline is close and gas is way cheaper there

[​IMG]
  16. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    Damn! Guess I'll quit complaining about $2.49
    Are you keeping track of fuel mileage on that racehorse?
  17. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    51.69 mpg
  18. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paul - I never get tired of looking at your beautiful photography :beer
  19. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  20. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome (so Far!)

Great stuff, Thanks in advance for your efforts. Great pics, words, as usual.

:clap
    Mike B
    Downey, CA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.