KTM 500exc RTW...on as much dirt as possible

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Damn. I gotta get me a fuel-injected bike.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  2. TroyLee

TroyLee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beutiful photos, great RR. What camera /lenses do you use? Sorry, if you inform about it before.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  3. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    From RTW Paul's post #171, "all the photos you've seen here have been taken with a Sony a6300 and just one prime lens a 20/2.8."

Mike
    rtwpaul likes this.
  4. Atalanta89

Atalanta89 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed
    rtwpaul likes this.
  5. TroyLee

TroyLee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thnx Mike
  6. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Great pics, informative (and hilarious) content make this the best thread on ADV right now. Thanks, Paul, for posting.
    rtwpaul and JagLite like this.
  7. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    The CABDR ends and its a quick traverse across to the NVBDR, met it at the end of section 3, after a few typical NV gates. We'll be heading south so doing it in reverse order 3.2.1.

[​IMG]

It's funny in that shot the luggage looks HUGE, but it's really not at all, maybe this lens is good for illusions, now what to take a photo of next!!!

Mines are everywhere in this section of NV, and a good idea not to veer too far of the tracks, a few kids died right near here a few years back jumping off some small hills and a mine shaft was right there as they landed!!!

[​IMG]

Americana is alive and well in Goldfield, just south of town, not visible from the main road is a car forest, maybe a few hallucinogens were used at some point of construction...not sure, not a criticism, just an observation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more dirt, more mines, more small towns, this time Gold Point, but the guy who owns it wasn't around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We carried on south, this is familiar territory to both of us around here, so just made a beeline to Beatty where we knew there was food...and beer
    DaleE, Allucaneat, Dacquiri and 39 others like this.
  8. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Too bad the owner wasnt ther . The saloon there is very cool!
    kevinsinvegas and rtwpaul like this.
  9. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ohhhhhh I think some drugs were used or tequila in goldfield...just sayin :) Thanks for checking IN!!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  10. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Full disclosure I'm Australian, and I'm ignorant to much of the USA.

So........what a place! Maybe its the pics???? However what a ride!!!!!

Since I don't know I'll guess Optimus Prime put the bus there.
    JagLite, AdvMoto18 and FireDog45 like this.
  11. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    If you're down in AU tileman, shouldn't the image in the avatar be upside down instead of sideways?:D:D

I was wondering what the strange smell was (perhaps sweet burning rope?) when we stopped by the "car/bus park" years ago and some folks were placing and painting some "artwork".:-)
    JagLite likes this.
  12. leighwgold

leighwgold Ph.D. of B.S. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul it looks like them NV gates may have possibly have been imported from here in Oz, we've got the market on them down here ! :rofl
    And no, your luggage doesn't look too big in them pants.
    Killacurb, rtwpaul, BLucare and 4 others like this.
  13. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    HI Paul,

glad to see you're back on "the road" (such as it is :lol3 )... I missed it the build thread, and I may have missed it here as well... Wondering about what weight you have (pounds/kilos) and what your new kit consists of. I was wondering what camera you are using now, as others have been... I see now you're onto the Sony a6XXX. I guess that's a full sized sensor, yes? Most folks I know using them (to mostly great affect) seem to really like them. Is Sony still partnered with Zeiss? If so, there's probably some really nice glass for the system... your current imagery, as usual, is fantastic. Nice color, excellent detail in the photos.
    Thanks for posting... If I missed your load specifics, link me if you get a chance please, brother.

Cheers!
  14. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    No shit. Number one piece of advice I give to any young pup who will give me half a listen: "don't bust yourself up too badly now cuz you'll still wanna shred when you're 50, 60, and older". I'm 62 and lived somewhat "wildly" as a younger man, kid, child. Tho I'm still alive, so how "wild" was it? I'm not the one to make proper judgement on that.... :lol3

EDIT:
    OK so just got up on this new thread, I'm subscribed so will be tagging along... traveling vicariously from the comfort of my office (or phone if Im out galavantin')

Meanwhile....
    RTWPaul said:

".....because for some reason the said Aliens like to butt diddle said Redneck fellas..."

Well some mental images you can't "unsee"... :lol3
  15. dunc289

dunc289 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lyndon Poskitt claimed to get better than this out of his carburetted (FCR) rally/race bike, 730cc fully loaded RTW.
    His bikes are pretty well set up though.

EDIT. (Not that Paul's aren't of course. I'm following his philosophy in all the fettling I do to my LC4. Deutch connectors etc. I regard both Paul and Lyndon as guru's for these long distance, highly strung bikes)
    BLucare likes this.
  16. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Great post Paul, #5,000 on your oddometer!
  17. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Had you considered...

that Lyndons bikes tank capacity was measured in imperial gallons and probably Lyndon works in imperial gallons (being English), not standard, if he is quoting mpg its most likely imperial mpg, then as a true side by side comparison I'm getting 62.08 (imp) mpg

Kilometer per liter is a more standardized calculation, I'm at 21.98 km/l
    Allucaneat, JagLite, dunc289 and 2 others like this.
  18. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    version 1 NONE digital nomad pack list - what i'd prefer to be carrying
    version 2 digital nomad packlist, yet to be written and what will be carrying
    JagLite and ricochetrider like this.
  19. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    arrived in Beatty, NV as the sun was setting then headed to Rhyolite in the morning. I've been here dozens of times but as it's so close it's always worth a photo or two

[​IMG]

yes, that's a penguin and a miner in the background, I always think of penguins when I think of Nevada, said no one ever!

[​IMG]

Then there's the last supper 'statue' which reminds me of the joke -

- table for 26, please.
    - but there's only 13 of you?
    - we all like to sit on the same side!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's not much remaining of Rhyolite these days just the walls of the old Bank building and the bottle house

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The NVBDR heading south takes you to the middle of nowhere, some of the tracks seem rarely used. I kind of expected to see some m/c tire tracks but they were rare...where all da riders at?

[​IMG]

Called a good buddy of mine in Boulder City, grabbed the keys for his Tattoo shop, did an oil and filter change in the alley, bikes at around 1400 miles since the last one, then bedded down for the night surrounded by all the flash...the glamorous life of the RTW rider continues

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MrO66, Jedi2Rider, SmilinJoe and 41 others like this.
  20. dunc289

dunc289 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I confess I forgot that little detail. (Not slagging off your milage, just the idea that FI is the only route to fuel economy. Good setup and maintenance is key. For the record, I get around 30mpg out of my LC4 which is terrible, and certainly due to having an FCR 41 with mystery jetting, and without the correct CDI.)
    You are both doing great work.

I should also give an enormous thank you, both for the comprehensive LC4 setup you have on your blog, and also the encouragement to hit mainland Mexico with my wife, car and dog.

I’ll buy you a gallon of beer if you swing by west LA.

British one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.