KTM 500exc RTW...on as much dirt as possible

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Me at ryolite years ago. genius. !!d8CuQQ!3U~$(KGrHgoH-CoEjlLlfZ3LBJ5+NBEHPw~~_7.JPG
  2. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    Paul,
    You mention you've been up to Ryolite several times, then mention that there is nothing really left. Up at the end of the street there is the old train depot. Two years ago we were up there and they had it open (the fence anyway) and we were able to walk around. Cool to see there are still some insulators left in the rafters and the building is in fair shape. Would have loved to see what your photographic eye could do with that.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  3. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I guess I've been there 15-20 times always hoping to get in there and never have, this time, as usual, there was the locked up fencing and no access...I do like shooting an abandoned building and capturing some history before it disappears
    elron, BLucare, Joe Motocross and 2 others like this.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damned internet on this rid is soooo slow! It won’t load the photos!:baldy
  5. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    one last post before heading to OX tomorrow, say hello if you are headed there, the bike will be easier to spot than me most likely

Out of BC we just made our own tracks past the desert flowers

[​IMG]

on old powerline roads that most likely haven't been touched in years thru deep sand for hours

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally finding Christmas Tree Pass heading towards Laughlin, this isn't the NVBDR, it seemed a little boring the way they did it so we improvised where needed

The Rangers with zero sense of humor had been by already taking down all the Christmas decorations already, so now should it just be called 'Pass'?

[​IMG]

More dirt into Oatman for a buffalo burger...denied, closed for the week for remodeling!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next option down to Cool Springs cause they'll have food for sure...denied, cooks day off, a guy in the store drinking whiskey, "we got chips and shit!"

"I'll pass, but thanks anyway!"

[​IMG]

This time to be sure we were on Route 66 thought I'd add it to the photo...:lol3

[​IMG]

The third attempt for food was at Mr. D'z, success!!! Again more Rte66 and stopped in to see Jack at Thunder Rode to fix my boots that have needed a little love since Peru

[​IMG]

AZ, right outside was showing its republican views everywhere, even on the back of trucks...guess this guy has never been to Finland or Norway. You guys can argue that one while I'm away...:jack

[​IMG]

off to the Hualapai Mountains to find a place to camp, nice and desolate and a clear sky, time to eliminate the bordom...we forgot the beer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and now when people ask how much longer I'll be on the road, no need for words I can just show them this

[​IMG]

We decided on an early return to PHX to help @ozrockrat get his conversion to 47's done for OX tomorrow, so a high-speed return via some of the deepest sand so far and more than a few wrong turns

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last stop to look at Nothing

[​IMG]

Then some quickly vanishing 2 track and we were back in the valley

[​IMG]

A week's worth of manipulation, grinding, welding, electrical, hydraulic, etc and me having to go get a shard of metal embedded in my eyeball removed by an optometrist yesterday with a DRILL~!!! Yeah, you read that right.

The trucks are ready, one has left, the other and the two bikes will be close behind, so if you are coming to OX and find these two side by side I should be somewhere close, bring whiskey and a good sense of humor, and a strong stomach if you want the DRILL/ eyeball story

[​IMG]
    Jersey87, SmilinJoe, Don T and 50 others like this.
  6. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Scott! Drill and eyeball should not go together.. Hope that your vision is OK and enjoy OX.
  7. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    after sticking a knife in my left eye when I was four (accidentally) cutting a piece of string and then being blind in 2008 I made a point of trying to ease the tension with the optometrist as the spinning drill bit got closer and closer..."it's not my first eye trauma".

The drill was heading for my right eyeball the one that rarely gets any abuse...sight is now back to about 80-90% in that eye and should be back to normal by next week.

Thats the pg version the alternate version is not worth adding here in fear of deletion as its a lot more graphic, but it'll be a good fireside story when @Joe Motocross and I meet and talk shit over a campfire drinking whiskey, while handling his razor-sharp adjustaforks
  8. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Thanks again for the detailed information. It's helped me a lot in getting my own kit squared away.

You may be getting to the following in your further discussion on being a digital nomad, but...

Have you found that the half TB hard drive has been enough for the plethora of pics I'm sure you take. I'm just getting started with a DSLR but recently took nearly 60 GB of pics in one week at Moab. The GoPro footage was obviously much more data for not that much footage. How important do you think it is to go with a SSD rather than a "rugged" HD? Is cloud based storage a realistic choice when out of the US?

In the future, I'd be very interested in what programs and/or systems you utilize to process your pics. They are always fantastic. Also, several months ago you had seemed to be starting to do more video, then appeared to stop. Factors in this?
  9. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    500gb for my stuff, not even close, sadly, I shoot in RAW and that uses a crazy amount of space then I process at full size and partial size, so that's three versions of the same image, then a back up of the back up.

So each useable image will take the best part of 100mb +/-, I take around 50-200,000 images a year at a guess, varies a lot depending on location, loads get trashed obviously. To give you an idea I filled 4tb of hard drive storage space in South America alone

I now use the Sandisk 500gb SSD drives, they are tiny and good quality, and while I'm in the country I don't need to carry more than i need as I can grab them from Amazon at anytime, out of the country I would carry a bunch, for now just three.

...but a tip, never buy all at the same time, if for any reason there is a bad batch (it happens) if you bought all at the same time then all your drives could potentially fail

I constantly try to reduce the size and weight of my luggage, this happens with electronics too, in the background that's two 1tb hard drives, in the foreground that's a 2tb SSD Scandisk. And don't forget the weight as well as the size, 1.2lbs vs 0.2lbs

DSC07207.JPG

Images - I try and get the shot right in camera first, then any other corrections I use LR6, I have tried Luminar, Aurora, Photomatix, starstax and a bunch of others...but I always come back to Lightroom as I find it the easiest to use.

Video, I have a love-hate relationship with it, its not really my thing, I have a photography degree, not a videography degree so its all a little foreign and to do it right and a high quality it takes a massive amount of time to process, a powerful computer and a lot of hard drive space...and most of the time I simply can't be bothered, but I should as this is the direction things are moving

Personally, I would be happy doing every single photo in black and white cause that's my love, but you guys need a little color in your lives so I aim to please
  10. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    My head just exploded thinking of the time and work involved in all that photography. Thank God there are people like you that do it, cos I respect and appreciate your work.
  11. Out4aRip

Out4aRip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul,

Fantastic report as always! Your reports have kept me sane in this cold, wet spring in Ontario.

Quick question since you're on about photo/tech stuff.
    Did you bring a tripod to SA and if so, what? (GorillaPod, traditional?)
    How about this RTW, as space/weight is even more tight?

Cheers!
  12. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I own 6 different tripods and unipods I think, from monster sized to tiny, but for South America, I carried two a full size and a compact

The thing you want from a tripod is for it to be able to stand at the height you want, be sturdy and the head be able to be set at just about any angle possible. So this generally means huge and heavy, but there are workarounds. My camera has a digital level internally so no need for a spirit level on the tripod as well

One is an antique German Bilora, it is from the '60s, ball head, extendable legs to various height to over 5 feet and the locking tab also acts as a hook so you can add weight to stabilize. I looked everywhere for one of these and found it on eBay for $30

DSC07209.JPG

The second is a micro (tabletop) DSLR tripod called Ultra Pod 2 and cost about $20, it has a full ball head, a long velcro strap so it can be attached to a tree, a bike, a sign etc for stability if you need height, usually one of those is always around unless you are on the Salar de Uyuni or similar

DSC07210.JPG

You have to ask yourself how much you'll use it, what shots you think you'd take, I carry fast prime lens so a tripod is only needed for me for nighttime astro shots or if I want to be in the photo and show my face, and if you've read my reports before you'll know that rarely happens...certain inmates will enter childish comment here

So now reducing packing, size, and weight, I'll drop to the Ultra only and make do and work around because for me tripod photography might only make up 0.01% of the shots I actually take...YMMV, but hope that helps

for size reference here they are together, the Bilora is 8.7"/22cm long and mine came with a leather carrying case, the Ultra pod is 7" long folded and weighs 3.2oz/ 91 grams

DSC07208.JPG
    mb300, Don T, scudo and 9 others like this.
  13. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    to make it less daunting, my camera takes 11 frames per second when set on multi-shot format to capture one shot, and it lives on that a lot, if you rode with me you might be surprised HOW FEW shots I appear to take, then add in failure rate of 50% plus

50,000/365/11/2 ...might mean I only hold the camera 12 times a day and have 5 shots or less to show for it. I think i spend more time deleting photos than taking them :lol3
    mb300, scudo, 78er and 9 others like this.
  14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess thats the part that seems so daunting to me. I can't imagine actually going through all those shots! Please keep doing what YOU do so I don't have to:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
    JagLite likes this.
  15. Out4aRip

Out4aRip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That Bilora is awesome! Pretty cool solution for a taller travel tripod.
    78er and ricochetrider like this.
  16. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Digital photography has indeed made the failure/discard rate very high, but imagine doing what you do using film! So much for reducing pack size and weight. :lol3
    JagLite and Davidprej like this.
  17. locrwln

locrwln Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the eye and glad to hear that you are going to be good. We can't make it to OX, so howdy to you and say hi to Bevan and Claire for us.

Jack and Darcie
    kevinsinvegas and rtwpaul like this.
  18. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Was grinding on a weld and some steel tubing years ago. Had safety glasses on, but somehow, a shard of steel bounced just right and ended up in my eye ball.

You guessed it: drill to the eyeball. I still wake up in a cold sweat to the doctor yelling, "stop moving your eye!!!" while she was trying to remove the shard.

No amount of money would have me relive that. I'll see you at OX and we can drown our eyeball trauma with something flammable.
  19. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good you found it though, iron is toxic to the eyes....rust eats right through the eyes' soft tissue. So, not only does he/she have to remove the shard, but the rust ring too - thats where it gets messy.
    Been there!
  20. Bt10

Bt10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ... and I couldn’t wear my glasses to drive home after mine either. 20/250. I was familiar with the roads.