KTM 525 EXC as an Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Karnage, Jan 31, 2007.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    https://www.gearingcommander.com/

Plug in your bike details, you can play with the numbers till speed/rpm is where you want it. If you'll be riding long distances (thousand of KM) I'd run a 15 tooth front and figure out what size rear gave the speed/power you want. The 15t cs will last longer and be better for the chain and rear sprocket over a long distance than a 14t.
    SnowMule likes this.
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you again for the beta.

Edit: I never looked at that website before, pretty interesting info on there for sure. I think I’ll run that 49 and carry a few fronts to change it up as needed. On my 640 I can handle 3 different sizes at least with no chain adjustment.
  3. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of these days I will find a suitable trail for my 525.

mcliberated, Grreatdog and thirsty 1 like this.
  4. KrogothCore

KrogothCore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with some enduro riding on the 525...
    Grreatdog and filterwrench like this.
  5. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    A friend sold me his plated 2005 EXC450 RFS today, mint condition and only 6000 miles. A factory edition so a black frame and machined triple clamps. He gave me an additional 13L KTM tank too. It's my 3rd 450 RFS in 10 years! I keep coming back to these bikes! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice!
  7. Vicresendez

Vicresendez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can someone help me,,,,hopefully I'm not high jacking a conversation,,,2007 KTM 525 xc is making an engine noise ,,,what should I do to try to diagnose the issue ? I've looked around for videos, threads etc...
    I'm hoping this link goes through and all y'all can hear/see the problem
    You can also text links or advise to my cell 619-665-0664

https://twitter.com/vicsktmtrips/status/1195873413073498112?s=21
  8. olegbabich

olegbabich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you know what has been done to the motor? Valves, Piston ?

Nice looking bike, good luck.
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the primary nut may have backed off. Easy fix and it happens sometimes to RFS motors. Dave hopkins sells a hardened nut for this.
  10. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Yes, I have the full service history since the bike had 1500 miles. First valves at 290hrs but they are in spec.
  11. Kendrick

Kendrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    only the second owner of this '07. i just put the stock tank back on to putt putt around the mx area with my kids. but in adventure form it's been on extended trips a bunch of times to mammoth, death valley, and our local mountains. man i love this bike...and oh yeah, i bought it bone stock from the original owner with just 600 miles on it. total time capsule find, was high fiving myself all the way home the day i got it:

IMG_1963.jpg
    ADV67, Brtp4, Shooter1 and 11 others like this.
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The next gen fender and HL is a nice improvement Kendrick. :thumb
  13. Big Toe01

Big Toe01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After looking at Kendrick's pic it may be time to show my exc some love. 20190814_134701.jpg
    Fast1 and SnowMule like this.
  14. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad news.
    It was amateur hour at my shop last night...

I was doing some upgrades to my 525’s clutch (while it was laying on its side) and when I using the impact wrench on the clutch basket center nut, the shock load knocked a bunch of the tubular drive sleeves EVERYWHERE. Some went on the floor, some got lodged in little exterior nooks and crannies of the engine, and ONE decided to go section 8 and jump down inside the transmission sump area. When it happened it was like mice or rats scattering...every which way but loose!
    922BBD4B-BF32-4A72-B271-6ECDCAD34552.jpeg
    Good news!
    I stuck a telescopic magnet down the hole about 6” and swirled it around for a few seconds. I then slowly pulled it up, and wouldn’t you know it, the final missing drive sleeve was stuck to the end of it! I’m getting my bike prepped for the LAB2V ride this thanksgiving, and when that drive sleeve fell down in there, my heart sank quite a bit. I think it’s time for me to buy a lotto ticket.
    skibum69, Brtp4, SnowMule and 4 others like this.
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    /\ /\ nothing like getting lucky!
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  16. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lucky enough that I think everyone here should go buy a lottery ticket tomorrow.

Happy winnings everyone!
  17. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    heh, the other fun ones are those little bushings on the shift forks.
    Get everything together, start putting stuff on the case halves, click through gears only to find things are feeling sloppy... shake the cases a bit and hear the rattle of something metal in there... :baldy
    fish around with the magnet and pull out one or two of those goddamned bushings....
  18. Rufjeep

Rufjeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, I need a little bit of advice. I've had a couple of the RFS bikes, a 525 and a 450, and both were outstanding. I've also run the gamut of the other usual suspects- WRR, DRZ, XRR, KLR. My most recent stable includes an R1150gs and a '13 KTM 250xc. I'm selling the KTM tomorrow and plan to replace it with another lightweight dual sport (we've moved somewhere with less hard core off road riding but way more forest service roads/ jeep trails).

As far as I can tell, I can get into a low hours RFS 525 for around $3-$3.5k (when they show up). A 500 is going to run $5500+, and often the hours on the bikes in that price range are pretty high. For the kind of riding I will be doing, I don't think I really need the improvements of the 500, and I could build a killer 525 and still be in it for less $$.

So, what do you think? low hour 525 for thousands less, or will the new ones be that much better?
  19. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    If I found a low hour 525 for $3-3.5k, I'd buy it in an instant. Should not have sold mine. I have no experience with the 500, though.
  20. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Personally, the differences in weight and handling aren't enough for me to worry about. I am way beyond racing or tackling the gnarliest of trails just to prove I can ride them. I have aged into a true dual sport guy.

So, I would go with the low hour 525 right up until parts start to become an issue or unless I rode at altitudes where EFI becomes important.

I also like being able to do a valve adjustment in minutes rather than hours. If I went with a 500, and no doubt I will at some point, I would likely pay a shop to do valve adjustments. I never have liked fiddling with shims.
    SnowMule likes this.