KTM 525 EXC as an Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Karnage, Jan 31, 2007.

1. olegbabich

olegbabich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you know what has been done to the motor? Valves, Piston ?

Nice looking bike, good luck.
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the primary nut may have backed off. Easy fix and it happens sometimes to RFS motors. Dave hopkins sells a hardened nut for this.
  3. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Yes, I have the full service history since the bike had 1500 miles. First valves at 290hrs but they are in spec.
  4. Kendrick

Kendrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    only the second owner of this '07. i just put the stock tank back on to putt putt around the mx area with my kids. but in adventure form it's been on extended trips a bunch of times to mammoth, death valley, and our local mountains. man i love this bike...and oh yeah, i bought it bone stock from the original owner with just 600 miles on it. total time capsule find, was high fiving myself all the way home the day i got it:

IMG_1963.jpg
    ADV67, Brtp4, Shooter1 and 11 others like this.
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The next gen fender and HL is a nice improvement Kendrick. :thumb
  6. Big Toe01

Big Toe01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After looking at Kendrick's pic it may be time to show my exc some love. 20190814_134701.jpg
    Fast1 and SnowMule like this.
  7. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad news.
    It was amateur hour at my shop last night...

I was doing some upgrades to my 525’s clutch (while it was laying on its side) and when I using the impact wrench on the clutch basket center nut, the shock load knocked a bunch of the tubular drive sleeves EVERYWHERE. Some went on the floor, some got lodged in little exterior nooks and crannies of the engine, and ONE decided to go section 8 and jump down inside the transmission sump area. When it happened it was like mice or rats scattering...every which way but loose!
    922BBD4B-BF32-4A72-B271-6ECDCAD34552.jpeg
    Good news!
    I stuck a telescopic magnet down the hole about 6” and swirled it around for a few seconds. I then slowly pulled it up, and wouldn’t you know it, the final missing drive sleeve was stuck to the end of it! I’m getting my bike prepped for the LAB2V ride this thanksgiving, and when that drive sleeve fell down in there, my heart sank quite a bit. I think it’s time for me to buy a lotto ticket.
    skibum69, Brtp4, SnowMule and 4 others like this.
  8. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    /\ /\ nothing like getting lucky!
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  9. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lucky enough that I think everyone here should go buy a lottery ticket tomorrow.

Happy winnings everyone!
  10. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    heh, the other fun ones are those little bushings on the shift forks.
    Get everything together, start putting stuff on the case halves, click through gears only to find things are feeling sloppy... shake the cases a bit and hear the rattle of something metal in there... :baldy
    fish around with the magnet and pull out one or two of those goddamned bushings....
  11. Rufjeep

Rufjeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, I need a little bit of advice. I've had a couple of the RFS bikes, a 525 and a 450, and both were outstanding. I've also run the gamut of the other usual suspects- WRR, DRZ, XRR, KLR. My most recent stable includes an R1150gs and a '13 KTM 250xc. I'm selling the KTM tomorrow and plan to replace it with another lightweight dual sport (we've moved somewhere with less hard core off road riding but way more forest service roads/ jeep trails).

As far as I can tell, I can get into a low hours RFS 525 for around $3-$3.5k (when they show up). A 500 is going to run $5500+, and often the hours on the bikes in that price range are pretty high. For the kind of riding I will be doing, I don't think I really need the improvements of the 500, and I could build a killer 525 and still be in it for less $$.

So, what do you think? low hour 525 for thousands less, or will the new ones be that much better?
  12. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    If I found a low hour 525 for $3-3.5k, I'd buy it in an instant. Should not have sold mine. I have no experience with the 500, though.
  13. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Personally, the differences in weight and handling aren't enough for me to worry about. I am way beyond racing or tackling the gnarliest of trails just to prove I can ride them. I have aged into a true dual sport guy.

So, I would go with the low hour 525 right up until parts start to become an issue or unless I rode at altitudes where EFI becomes important.

I also like being able to do a valve adjustment in minutes rather than hours. If I went with a 500, and no doubt I will at some point, I would likely pay a shop to do valve adjustments. I never have liked fiddling with shims.
    SnowMule likes this.
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are kinda set on a RFS, nothing wrong with that but you're not really being realistic when it comes to what's out there and what it will take to build a "killer RFS". The clean pristine low hour 525s that the guys have been posting recently are very difficult to find and are few and far between, more realistically they have 200~400 hours and the valves are starting to sink into the head or needs replaced. Not discounting the possibility of finding the pristine low hour RFS unicorn but it's much easier to find a 500 with 100-200hrs for $5500 then it is to find one of the RFS barn finds. I wouldn't close the door on the right deal on a 500 and if you think you want an RFS then don't make the mistake of riding a 500. There's a reason KTM sold the crap out of the 500s, it incorporates everything they learned through the years with the RFS line plus all the chassis improvements. An RFS will require valves much sooner then the 500 and when that happens your good deal just turned into a typical deal at best, the handling between the two bikes is significantly different with the 500 beating it in every way. I'm not here to bash the RFS, I liked both of mine and I'd buy the right one if it came along but I also own a 500 and it's way ahead of the RFS in every way, it's also many years newer, parts are readily available whereas there's parts for the RFS that are no longer available and not being produced, as time goes on that list will get larger and the RFS's value will adjust downward accordingly. The only RFS I'd consider these days would be an '07, partially because of the age and the improvements made in the valve material in '07. RFS got it's rep because it's a reliable bike that makes good HP and is fairly light. The 500 beats it in every one of those categories.

As for the valve adjustments, if they do move on the 500 which they rarely do it's a much easier bike to adjust then the RFS, actually one of the simplest motors I've ever adjusted the valves on but they rarely need it.
    SnowMule likes this.
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    You'd be shocked how easy it is.
    Grreatdog likes this.
  16. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will have to look at that. Because I flat out hated shims on other bikes. The 525 is so stupid easy even I can do it. If the 500 is easier, I really will be shocked.
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    4 bolts to remove the valve cover, put the motor at TDC, measure clearances to determine what needs changed if any.

Unlike the RFS it's very easy to get an accurate reading on the clearance because you're coming it the gap horizontally, not with a bent feeler guage from above the valve.

If the intake or exh needs changed 2 bolts takes out the intake or exh rocker shafts and the shims are laying right there on top of the valves, pick 'em up with a magnet, swap in a new one and put the rocker shaft back in, replace the valve cover, connect the crankcase vent and put the tank on. It really is the simplest motor I've adjusted valves on. What I like is you know you have it correct because it's very simple to get an accurate measurement, no guessing like the 1/6 turn method. Despite that some guys go 2-300 hrs without needing a shim change.
  18. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Grreatdog likes this.
  19. Rufjeep

Rufjeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greatdog- that was my thinking as well. I'm not looking for cutting edge performance; if the 525 had enough performance for me ten years ago, it dang sure does today! That being said, Ridefreak makes some compelling points in favor of the 500.

Let's just say I could get an 80-100 hour '04-'06 525 for $3500. At that age, they usually have the typical farkes- handguards, seats, radiator guards, etc.
    Or I could get a '12+ 500 with 200 hours for $5500 (and this seems to be pretty typical), and it also has the farkles.

Obviously, the new bike is better. But, for a regular joe looking for a true dual sport, is it worth the additional $2k? Are there costs associated with the pre '07 RFS bikes that will take a bit out of that savings?

Also, with the 500's, how many hours are too many? If an RFS is in the original engine/ no major work, I'd think it's less than 100 hrs. At what point do 500's require major work (mostly thinking about valves)?
  20. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you like the big bore that much better than a 450?

My buddy has a gr8 example of a low hour 450 RFS for sale on here. Gr8 shape. Southern Illinois

I like my 450 better than I liked the 52o..... Most of the time.