KTM 525 EXC as an Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Karnage, Jan 31, 2007.

1. portero72

portero72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-450-exc.837458/

Slow thread. Help it stay alive!
  2. portero72

Oddometer:
    To attempt to address your first question, I’d say do what it takes to get a fan on that thing. I’ve got an 07 525 and 05 450 (the fuss is for real), and the fans on both run a lot in woods riding in Texas heat. Granted, I’m slow AF, but it makes me feel better about the bike’s health to have the fan going.
    As far as the sumo wheels go, is the rear Cush? That’d make it worth more to an RFS buyer. Sorry I can’t be of much help with that one.
  3. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would need to see the other side of the wheels for any markings on MFG. Look like Behr which are stupid expensive but who knows. Markings are typically around the Valve Stem and outer edge.
  4. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    That certainly looks like it has an OEM KTM cush hub (ala 640) and that rear looks wide (5"?). My good friend just picked up a used set of Warp9 17"s with tires/sprocket/rotors/caliper bracket (for 320mm rotor)/kickstand for $750, so I'd wager that a used set of OEM's with a cush hub (along with all the other accessories I listed) would go for AT LEAST that much.
  5. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure I’m doing this right. Just added a secondhand rally Roadbook setup to my “new to me” 2003 525mxc. Still need to wire it - along with a whole heap of dual sport parts I need.

9C8CC5DD-0189-4232-973E-AC8C09EB3889.jpg
    7E93D71E-C4AD-4C33-871E-5BB1B2073F37.jpg
    C009E146-721A-46D7-8E09-5EE29D97CE08.jpg
    BaldKnob likes this.
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get your roadboock as high as you can.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  7. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That is the intent, to minimize the head nod required to transition between the book and the trail. As it stands it’s as high as my current mount will allow. Working on other solutions as I read through that big thread on roadbook mounts.

Thanks for the tips!
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're on the right track!
  9. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    Enduro16,
    Just finished my routing and trying some of the Otiker clamps I think they are called.

20210708_103836.jpg
    enduro16 and skibum69 like this.
  10. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Where’d you find a filter like that?
  11. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    Visufilter from Fleabay. . Only place I can order fuel related items that will ship to Commiefornia.
    TroopThrowback likes this.
  12. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    Well, that semi-restore was kinda fun and ready for a maiden run.

Take the below list and add a shh**ttt ton of anal OCD. So just about every item on the list can have multiple bullet points in that there was the cleaning aspect, fix or improvement made. Am I glad I did it? Absolutely. It is mine now and I know every inch of this bike. Will I do it again? Not in this lifetime.

I ordered Enduro Engineering Handguards but I was anticipating putting on my favorite bend Renthal KTM High Bend 826’s but they have been on BO for 3months pretty much everywhere and look to be in stock mid August. I have the stock Magura bars and the EE don’t work so I’ll wait to see who gets the HB’s in stock and then put them on.

My graphics kit should be here in the next few days and will put that on next weekend.

Before and After Pics as well as what i did since i purchased it.

IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0552.JPG Maint List.png 20210709_142626.jpg.0767f0ea653e665eecc76813372c09bf.jpg 20210709_142643.jpg.7edbd8f6bbd2a1ed808cdbe7fc448629.jpg 20210709_142656.jpg.859da23d1e41b19b0ae9a6e9cfe5e3e5.jpg
  13. portero72

Oddometer:
    She makes me feel kinda funny….

Aside from adding hawtness, what was the motivation behind the rebuild? Was it just time to make it new again?
  14. portero72

Oddometer:
    Wait. What the what?!?! Am I to understand that there is somewhere amongst these amber waves of grain that will not allow you to purchase fuel parts for a motorcycle? Help a long time Texan make sense of this….
  15. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    Who is this female you mention?

Motivation? Oh if you only knew me. After my XR600 I wanted an RFS and found quit a few but they were at the top of what i wanted to spend. This was so stupid cheap because it was dirty / old and the PO wanted a new KTM 300 TPI. I initially was going to just give it a acid bath and put on some turn signals. The more i cleaned the more my OCD took over. Dirt bikes are supposed to get dirty but not be always dirty. I am far from a "Clean" person but i do take a bath at least 2x a week. It basically snow balled with rubbed wires, dirty connections etc etc.

I also have a huge thing about anything i own that it has to be mine. My style, my way. I don't upgrade XYZ items because it is cool thing to do. I only do an upgrade if it is a proven to be better than the original.

Hopefully it is the bike i plan to keep and will "Frame" it and do the main chassis in of course KTM Orange.

Just a little of my OCD when i changed the oil. Was taught to soak the filters to charge, oil the orings, TQ bolts down and so on. Follow the manual type of thing because someone far smarter than i am wrote it. The orignal wire rubbed on the air filter holder bar thing. Though it probably took 14 years to rub through i wasn't having any of that so made a little tray from some scrap Kydex.

20210709_084323.jpg 20210705_095102.jpg
  16. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    Yeah just be thankful you are not in CA. RMATV, MotoSport and so on make me take my "Fuel Related" items out of my cart before they will process my orders. I mean it is Factory Legal DS so why i can't buy fuel stuff is a good question. Dust in a little Prop 65 and I'm lucky if i can buy Jersey or Helmet. Lame but i didn't vote for them so can't blame me.
    shinyribs likes this.
  17. portero72

Oddometer:
    That’s just crazy talk. Beautiful state, but…..
    I’ll save the rest for more more appropriate threads.
    cmbthumper and shinyribs like this.
  18. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    Maiden run done. What a bike. A little more carb tuning, graphics, double check bolts etc etc. Once it cools down more i hope to ride the tires off of it.

1st part of the ride. New video software is giving me a headache so will post the rest later. Skip to 20 secs for the start of the vid.

SnowMule likes this.
  19. jbrown404

jbrown404 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the video. I use to live in the area and rode those trails a lot.
    cmbthumper likes this.
  20. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    You bet. Fun little system of trails down in the valley. Old Man Foster would NOT be happy with all these people. 1st gate or the old shooting range just opened back up in 20' but is packed with hikers and mountain bikers so it's not real fun anymore. For me it takes all of 5min to get there so it's great for a quick ride.
    Sno Dawg likes this.