KTM 525 EXC as an Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Karnage, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    No need to soak the filters before you install them. The factory service manual shows that you lay the bike on its side, fill the oil filter reservoirs about halfway, slowly insert the filters, then screw on the caps.
    BaldKnob and cmbthumper like this.
  2. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm scared to torque the filter cover bolts. First time I changed the oil I set my little 1/4 drive torque wrench to whatever my manual said.

But I was already saying nope before it ever clicked. I was afraid it would strip even at the minimal factory torque. Or maybe my torque wrench is way out of spec.
    cmbthumper likes this.
  3. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vid 2

Off the grid and RTWstare like this.
  4. portero72

portero72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love it. Dig how the 525 goes from ‘putt putt putt’ to ‘ludicrous speed’ in .0185 seconds.
    cmbthumper likes this.
  5. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Appreciate you looking. As you can tell i am not a YT or a video editor.

You nailed it for me 100%. I am a very very lazy rider who likes to look around, "putt" and just enjoy being out. Probably why i like my XR's so much. I'm never in a hurry in real life or on my bikes buuutt when i want to grab a handful, stand to attention and wake up like i just had a redbull that's the bike i wanted and i think i found it.
    enduro16 likes this.
  6. portero72

portero72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bingo. I had 2 XRs prior to the 525. I loved the ‘pull you along at idle all day’ feel of the bikes, but the dead spots after midrange always had me looking for more. So I asked another inmate about adding a cam. Turns out the inmate (cough, @shinyribs) was a kool aid pimp and essentially manipulated me into trying orange to get what I was after. :)

Serendipity! Same chug ability, 6 gears, button, superior suspension, and power after midrange! She’s a keeper.
    enduro16 and cmbthumper like this.
  7. Juddvong

Juddvong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally took my bike dual sporting for this first time. Covered almost 400 miles in the Ozark mountains in two days. The bike performed flawlessly but the forks were way too harsh. I was wondering if anyone had some insight on suspension setup for dual sporting. A lot of the information I could find were all for racing.

The forks were very harsh on the initial hit, it was not absorbing the rocks very well. The rear shock was alright but after 15 years I would like to get it serviced. My bike was bouncing all over the rocks compared to my friends stock crf250l lol.

Straight or progressive rear spring for dual sporting? Who would you recommend to rebuild and re valve my suspension?
  8. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've noticed the same thing on my forks. I've already resprung but curious on revalving.
  9. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI Need to know the year of the forks?
  10. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    AND bike. The manual is very specific on the 250, 400, 450, 525 and even the six days. These are in my phone so I can making changes this weekend on the trail.

image.png image.png image.jpeg
  11. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The year of the bike doesn't matter because on my 2003 I've got 2007 forks, huge improvement
  12. Juddvong

Juddvong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bike is a 2005 450 EXC. I wasn't aware there wasn't a difference between the years.
  13. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    You are welcome :D

Stiff initial hit on forks can sometimes just be a case of stiction. Checking fork alignment is an easy thing to do real quick.
    enduro16 likes this.
  14. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    My suspension guy made me buy a Motion Pro fork alignment tool. I’m glad I listened to him. It’s WAY more accurate than using the “bouncing the forks” method.
    upload_2021-7-14_6-56-39.jpeg
    bark sampler, Brtp4 and ItsDoAble like this.
  15. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    Agreed. After a very minor crash on my 500 I chased down twisted forks for 2 weekends. Said "F" it I will try this snake oil tool. Definitely NOT snake oil and in 5min my forks were smooth as could be.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  16. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    your '05 came w/ a new frame, and a new cast swingarm. with this new swingarm, ktm moved the lower shock mount further towards the rr axle to slant the pds shock more horizontal. in doing so, the rr spring didn't need to be so stiff, and so your valving on the shock in '05 changed quite a bit from the 2002-2004. However, the forks were still of the 2002-2004 design, which was a mess b/c WP didn't know about a particular pressure build up between the slider and fork tube cavity, so those yrs forks 2002-2005 have a midstroke harshness to it. In 2006, wp forks got two holes drilled through the chrome sliders to relieve this pressure build, and cured that problem. but there was one other problem that didn't get fixed until 2007, and once that was implemented, the wp forks finally worked like normal, which is to say it still wasn't all that great compared to kyb and showa, but it was good enough for gov't work.
    BaldKnob and lamotovita like this.
  17. Juddvong

Juddvong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I just purchased it! Looks like a handy tool and it was cheaper than I thought it would be.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out for someone parting out some 07 forks.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  18. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Very interesting stuff! Wondering where I can get more info on these vent holes. That's something a fella can fix at home
  19. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Protune suspension did my forks and they came back amazing. For one thing, just having them sprung right for my 200 lb riding weight made a big difference.Whatever Corey did worked. I haven't touched the clickers since installing them.

Corey's opinion of my 05 shock was that it wasn't worth pouring money into. It is what is - click until it works. Which on mine was a pretty odd setting of way less rebound and a bit more compression than factory settings. That was too help with the over the bars kick it had on hard hits.

Then Brian at AtomicMoto made me a deal I couldn't refuse on his shock and I had Protune rebuild that. Now both ends are pretty damn good. Still not quite as plush as my 640. But even at 6'2" I could barely touch the ground on that 640. My 525 feels like a minibike by comparison.

My point being, it's worth having your forks tuned by a pro. That made a huge difference. If you aren't happy at the rear, replacement with a later year or different model shock is likely the best bet. Brian's shock is the bomb. I think he is still kicking himself for selling it to me.

I don't pimp a lot of vendors, but Protune did a great job: https://www.facebook.com/people/ProTune-Suspension/100063467981907/
  20. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    per pic below, the two holes near the end of the tube is existing. the holes to drill is 170mm from the tube's end, per scale shown.

Oilholes05.jpg
    Brtp4 and shinyribs like this.