KTM 525 EXC as an Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Karnage, Jan 31, 2007.

1. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, good to know. I guess it all boils down to the availability of a good bike that hasn’t been abused.

How many hours/miles is a good ball park figure before top end or total rebuild is needed?
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also heard recently that KTM says they will support all of their bikes and will rerelease parts but you might have to wait for them. Just like the speedo cable I'm waiting for for my 640.
  3. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    What year is your 640 again?
  4. skibum69

Oddometer:
    '06, last production year. Mt 525 XCW is an '07
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  5. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Mario, q muestras en esta foto? Megustaria saber q paso con su moto. Ya lo tienes corriendo?
  6. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    oh, my bad, i thought i was hanging out in the 640 forum...but you say you're waiting for a 640 speedo cable? Because the original one has been superseded to the same part number as the 2009-2011 KTM 990 Adventure R (the non-abs bike).
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I hear all the 990's need new speedo cables. And I'm having a really hard time changing over the XCW wiring harness for a new EXC wiring harness.
  8. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Note that there is a fellow over on KTMTalk that is commercially reproducing RFS KTM countershafts.
    krautman and skibum69 like this.
  9. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was discussed earlier in this thread, he is based in Aus. from memory he charges 150 US shipped.
    ChasM and Thumperama like this.
  11. portero72

portero72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to installing a GPR damper I’d had laying around. Picked it up after a few scary moments hitting unexpected deep sand in NM. Older model but recently rebuilt. I basically traded parts for it. More orange means moar faster, right? 62CCE30D-7E0A-4335-8879-8881C414C919.jpeg
  12. portero72

Oddometer:
    Got to test the damper unexpectedly today. Doing some urban exploration near a quarry and found where they hide the sand. It’s underneath grass, kinda looks like where they hide the hard pack and gravel. Sneaky bastards. 53E9D8C0-A169-4836-BE34-F8D480F5792B.jpeg FB761B65-8463-4986-8905-C180113D13A5.jpeg
  13. Ned1

Ned1 Do you rent that thing out as a speedbump?

Oddometer:
    Nobody offered up so in one of my once in a blue moon posts perhaps I can get it going based on owning/maintaining/riding a 525 for 10yrs and 400 for 6yrs and tearing both bikes down to the studs to restore them.

Depends on many factors such model year, displacement, how it's been ridden and cared for, how much dust the motor sucked back, if the bike has overheated a lot and on and on. Enough variability that it can turn into a shoving match.

The head is usually pretty tight for ~150hrs then it becomes a matter of above factors before the valves start to wear. The bike will run for a long time on worn/wearing valves but power loss and difficulty starting trigger the head rebuild. A common statement is to say once there's 1-1.5 turns of adjustment left in the valves (screw and nut btw), it's time.

The cylinder, piston and rings are another story but similarly gated by factors above. A couple to a few hundred hours perhaps as a starting point but it's usually the rings that suffer the most. Leakdown test is your friend here.

Bottom end is often very related to displacement and how the bike has been ridden. For instance, a 400 bottom end undergoes less stress than a 525 but if ridden foolishly, it's as likely to have problems as anything else. An engine builder in my neighborhood (no need to mention names but he's one of the legends) once told me my 400's bottom end will last forever if it doesn't get gooned. And when he cracked open the bottom end of my 525 at 950hrs he was pleased to see it in excellent shape thanks to a cush wheel and mindful riding.

If I were to buy another RFS bike, I'd take my time and only look for a <200hr 06 or 07 (that's my and not everyone else's sentiment) that's been entombed in someone's garage, storage locker or shed waiting for the right animal to come along and put the paddles to it and bring it to life. And beware, even if the bike seems pristine it will need a lot of work to deal with aging carb gaskets, fork seals, fluids etc etc.

There's a lot of wisdom/experience amongst the crew here and these thoughts will no doubt be eclipsed. Be patient and good luck finding a specimen :beer
  14. Iplayforme

Iplayforme We're in The Matrix

Oddometer:
    How did it work out. Been considering a damper for my Drz because I run into it often and don't really like it as is. I need to use more gas but if a damper improves things too I'd be happy.
  15. portero72

Oddometer:
    I like it a lot. I put them on both my 450 and 525. First thing I notice is that I’m fighting the bike a whole lot less. Gas in the sand is obviously a good idea, but the damper slows down the bar wag that happens when I hit the loose stuff at speed. Keeping the chonies clean is just a bonus.
  16. portero72

Oddometer:
    Not sure you’re in the market, and it’s a fair drive from you, but there’s an 04 525 on Dallas craigslist with 80 hours or so on it. Plated, fan, big tank, etc. $3600. No affiliation, just a big fan of the bikes and would love to see the good ones get ridden.
    GrayEagleRider likes this.
  17. GrayEagleRider

Oddometer:
    Looking but will probably wait until the temperature and price of bikes go down.

I did see a near mint low hour/miles 07 450 EXC that’s well sorted fairly close but have to finish a home improvement before I pull the trigger.
  18. GrayEagleRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed response!

Lots of factors, that makes since. I guess I’m used to owning Japanese bikes that have no power but can be ridden hard and put away wet with minimal issues. Looking to upgrade to a 500ish Euro bike for better performance just want one that’s not a lemon.
  19. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Little bits added as i patiently wait for my suspension.

New KKE wheel, my favorite tire to date Shinko MX216 Fatty
    Nomadic Rack and my old fanny pack i cut the straps off to make a small bag
    EE Hand Guards and ODI Rouge grips

20210801_080658.jpg 20210801_080718.jpg 20210801_080743.jpg 20210801_114457.jpg 20210801_114508.jpg 20210801_114518.jpg
    thirsty 1, z_rider and BaldKnob like this.
  20. Ned1

Ned1 Do you rent that thing out as a speedbump?

Oddometer:
    One more from me and I'm going back to hiding...

In the event you do find a candidate bike, with your existing knowledge, you will know pretty quick if it's been owned by a knuckle draggin' goon. If the owner can't answer the question about how many turns left on the intakes, if the countershaft is stripped, if bolts on the chassis are worn and mismatched or there's a failure to produce any records then it becomes an educated gamble. I did just that with my 400xcw... bought it from a total goon who tried to lie to me and gaslight me into thinking he knew what was what. At 70hrs run time the bike was pissing oil from the cases on the underside, sloppily presented to me and showing signs of abuse/neglect... aka a bit of a dog turd. He was really wanting to fire the bike up and show me how it ran but I stopped him and opened the rad cap to give the coolant a sniff and a look and noticed there was coolant in the bike! Then the lies started pouring out of his mouth at which point I said thanks but no thanks, suggested he do a better job of presenting his product to his customer and then departed. Long story short, I later threw him a very lowball on the bike with a shopping list of items I would have to replace to make it right.... he bit on the offer, he apologized profusely and said he learned his lesson. Took a couple months to get it all in order but we squeezed the dog turd hard enough to turn it into a diamond and it's now a family heirloom ridden by one of my boys.

PM me if you have any other Q's, I rarely post but am of course happy to help if I can.

Cheers :beer