KTM 525 EXC as an Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Karnage, Jan 31, 2007.

1. mario525

mario525 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi guys this is my ktm 540 xc desert racing, a few days ago I finished riding it, I still have some things missing, I am very happy on my bike
    I have a question, the manual indicates that the first oil change is at 3 hours or 20 lt, after the first oil change they suggest following the instructions in the manual, or I change it every 2 thousand kl
    IMG-20210825-WA0043[1].jpg 20210905_174510[1].jpg
    z_rider, portero72 and BaldKnob like this.
  2. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. OneTireFryer

OneTireFryer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a suggestion on how to remove a stripped out 8mm hex head on the short oil screen drain head?

My wife decided to take on her bike maintenance, which I completely support... but now I'm not having any luck cleaning up after the attempt.

tempImageazqA6M.jpg
    skibum69, cmbthumper and thirsty 1 like this.
  4. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you post up a pic?
  5. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tough one. good with a cordless drill?? Find a very small drill bit and drill the center of the screw out until it breaks through to the other side. Then get a left hand drill bit larger than the small bit you used to break through and go very slow with it. Very very slow with it. As the bit turns it will grab the screw and turn it out, removing the broken bolt. Edit. Before doing this soak it with penetrating oil such as Knocker Loose, Kroll, or even wd40. Edit edit. Soak it in the penetrating oil and use a vice grip on the stripped out head. Grind it flat and do the above. Edit I thought you were talking about the small oil filter screws.
    OneTireFryer likes this.
  6. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat right now. When I get back I'm going to try to weld an Allen socket into the cap.
    OneTireFryer and cmbthumper like this.
  7. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    First, massive props to not only having a wife who likes bikes but rides and wrenches on them too. My EX only liked my Harley's and sitting on my KX500 when idling. Hmmm i wonder why.

Ive read about the stripped bolt and the costs to have the dealer remove it. All they do is weld a step bolt onto the stripped bolt head. 1000x different ways to extract bolts but "welding" a bolt, socket, nut etc etc is the easier and near 100% way of getting it out.

My bolt has the normal hex head and a torx like the newer KTM's have. Not sure if it was upgraded at some point by the PO or ?? The angle is funky so i understand them getting stripped but quality tools a decent squishy thing between your skull and proper TQ it should never strip in the future.

Slavens has an uber expensive route too.

https://slavensracing.com/shop/oil-filter-screen-drain-plug-bolt-ktm-husaberg/
    OneTireFryer likes this.
  8. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 08 450 did the same thing, ended up welding a wrench on it. Ever since I always put a little anti seize on the nut and no problems since.
    cmbthumper and OneTireFryer like this.
  9. my6

my6 Hey, I'm a Long Timer...go figure.

Oddometer:
    Anti-seize is our friend...
  10. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the present moment, my friends...

20210913_194030.jpg
    krautman, mario525, endurists and 4 others like this.
  11. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got home after finishing the Cotah Rally in Colorado and Utah on my 2003 KTM 525. I bought the bike 4th of July weekend to prep just for the Rally.

900km over 4 days and not a single issue. I had updated the stator, fork seals, changed oil, seat cover, tires and grips. I dropped the pilot jet down to 140 for 4000’ - 10,000’ altitude. Added lighting to get a license plate, and roadbook setup. I replaced the radiator fan the day before the first Rally stage because I had broken it during training rides without knowing I had the damage. Rocky Mtn had it to me next day (at the event!). Installed it in 15 minutes and never blinked once.

The bike performed flawlessly over the hard, long miles every day.

It’s my first ktm, and I’m absolutely sold. This bike just does what I want it to.

18627985-5A6F-4756-BD44-B283A1A901D4.jpg
    A6905DC9-F2C8-4D92-8ADC-50EEEB1DF7D4.jpg
    83A4F114-C893-49C5-9E30-E7586832DC53.jpg
    39EA33AA-C80B-4687-8FB2-C15CD7A711A0.jpg
    IMG_8763.jpg
    IMG_8736.jpg
    A4BFA9E6-5EAF-4663-AD93-2CCE45D7506D.jpg
    IMG_8732.jpg
    IMG_8733.jpg
    enduro16, Dirt2007, mario525 and 12 others like this.
  12. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    After nearly a month of the trails being closed for fire season, they opened up. Grabbed the old man and finally was able to test my suspension. Rained a few days ago and the fog bank made for a ZERO dust ride.

20210926_101338.jpg 20210926_101354.jpg 20210926_101410.jpg

krautman, enduro16, mario525 and 3 others like this.
  13. portero72

portero72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mario525 likes this.
  14. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    I suck at editing videos but my initial thoughts are in the YT vid at 9:20.

I went into the suspension "upgrade" thinking it was highly unsprung for my weight. After Suspension 101 got the forks and spring blow apart he checked the PN's, measured the springs and they were for a 210-220lb rider, which is me. Upon further investigation the shock had somehow lost all it's Nitrogen. George said he has seen it before when owners try to adjust the suspension but don't read the manual and back off the wrong nut. I had him change all the seals, new oil, recharge the shock etc etc. Basically a maintenance refresh.

So, in the end i am starting with stock forks and shock, sprung for my weight and whatever a mid valve upgrade is in the Forks. Since i have ZERO suspension experience and no reference on what a stock setup feels like all i can go off of is what i have now. It is a little over compressed and needs a little slower rebound in some sections but i am going to ride it a few times before messing with it.

From before to now is night and day. I was beyond impressed with the bike overall before the suspension and really really liked my decision. Now with the suspension i LOVE this bike. A few more minor oil leaks at the Clutch cover and Breather hose to take care of but Damn this is the bike i should have bought before my KTM 500.
  15. portero72

Oddometer:
    Thx for the explanation. I’ve not had time to watch the video, but I very much look forward to it. I’m sure I’ll send mine off to my local guy at some point, but I’m not in a big rush.

I had an XR4 completely redone by my suspension guy previously, and it took a few rides to bed in. First few rides were stiff as a board, then broke in nicely.
    cmbthumper likes this.
  16. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    Some quick roll on to 80mph

Fair warning ** TURN DOWN THE VOLUME **

shinyribs and thirsty 1 like this.
  17. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Being invaded by a bunch of XR degenerates in here :D
    cmbthumper likes this.
  18. portero72

Oddometer:
    Losers, every one…
    cmbthumper and shinyribs like this.
  19. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    Only those that sell them (enter sarcasm). I'd buy a shipping container if I somehow completely ran out of room to have both my Orange and Red bike.

As my saying goes " I could give 2 sh*ts what you ride as long as they make your face hurt from the smile it/they produce"
    enduro16, shinyribs and Whodatschrome like this.
  20. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    I wish I could keep em all, but I used to horde cars/truck back in the day. Not falling in to those habits again! I got a couple bikes now I need to sell, but I'm not 100% mentally prepared for it quite yet :D
    enduro16 and cmbthumper like this.