KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Shouldn’t have sold my ‘08. I had Dave Hopkins common sump my motor and it was bulletproof! Unfortunately, I also sent him the carb and well, let’s just say I would never send him one again. I got tired of messing with it and went FI on a newer bike. I do have the EBC clutch holder tool and the clutch side cover gasket (the whole side cover, not the little round one) still sitting on my workbench. If someone wants them, they can have them for the cost of shipping them, or if you are in Atlanta you can come and get them.
  2. Bonafide Bob

Bonafide Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to have them and gladly pay shipping. I will pm you shipping info.
    Bob

m
  3. Tourmeister

Tourmeister What's that funny noise?

Oddometer:
    My 2010 530 EXC in Wyoming, somewhere North of Ten Sleep and East of Grey Bull.
    IMG_2788.JPG

Here it is going to warp speed heading to the top of Bolam Pass going East toward Purgatory
    _T510380.JPG

T5000399.JPG

It has been a great bike and has taken me on a LOT of great adventures to incredible places. Moving to it from a KLR 650 did WONDERS for my riding ability and confidence! I have admit though... I am getting the itch for the fuel injection...
    Fast1, godwinmt, Sledred and 3 others like this.
  4. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    What size is the tank on that bad boy?
  5. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need to replace the fuel line from the tank to the carburetor, what are you guys using? FI line? Clear line?

Thanks in advance!
  6. Tourmeister

Tourmeister What's that funny noise?

Oddometer:
    It is the KTM (Acerbis) 6.6 gallon tank. It gives me about 300 miles on a tank. It doubles as a radiator guard and leg rest. There is a petcock on the left side and screw valve on the right side with a cross over line between them so you can use the last of the right side like a reserve if you want. It is just translucent enough to be able to see the gas line if you rock the bike a little. It is pretty sturdy and has had a somewhat rough life... :muutt

Mine is just rubber fuel hose from the autopart store. I had to make some extra long sections to work with the big tank. I want to say they are 1/4" lines (iniside dia.) with maybe a 3/8-7/16 outside dia.
  7. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Suddenly lost my lighting tonight. When idling the headlight and tail light are fine. When revving slightly they shutdown, no flicker....just dead. After returning to idle for a moment the lights will turn back on. This is affecting the headlight, tail, and brake. The blinkers, starter and odo are fine. I’m thinking the regulator is screwing up.
  8. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone after a CPW oil cooler?
    Rockaway likes this.
  9. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 450 is getting a birthday soon with new decals etc. Come to the conclusion that as good as the new models are mine is still better than I can make it behave.
  10. snarf

snarf WFO and clueless

Oddometer:
    Same here. Love my 530. Lots of bikes have come and gone over the years, but the 530 is going nowhere.
    Beardoge and Bonafide Bob like this.
  11. Bonafide Bob

Bonafide Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't believe any new models are better than my 2008 450 XCR-W, it rips and does exactly what is ask of it. KTM 92417.JPG
    TrailBreak, Fast1 and Rockaway like this.
  12. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Motor wise, I agree with you. DS riding, agree. But for single track, the ‘17 up frame turns like magic.
    godwinmt likes this.
  13. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Even motorwise...the new breed of 450 engines are out of this world...but yeah, the new frame is what makes the new bikes.
  14. bruceca2002

bruceca2002 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kelowna, Britsh Columbia and Lake Havasu City, AZ
    I found the new frames are great for smaller riders and not so good for larger dudes. Felt like a mini bike compared to my 530. I am a big guy so I am sticking with the 530!
    Beardoge likes this.
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Also have heard that the MY17-18 fork valving is intended for slower, rougher single track and tends to bottom in the rough stuff of the desert at speed.
  16. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an excuse to upgrade the stator while you are at it!
  17. Bikedude987

Bikedude987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My only complaint on these bikes is the ground clearance - that sump is a freaking anchor compared to my 18 300!

That and the weight, and the clearance when wrenching on things....and the suspension isn't very good.

But yes, the '10 530 is a keeper for sure!
  18. Beardoge

Beardoge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I don't understand the turn like magic … move the bar mounts forward and the bikes are damn twitchy....
  19. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sold an 08 530 and now have a 18 500 excf. While the new bike, all stock, still scoots good......the 530 had more arm stretch!