KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Have you removed the last screen from the muffler, removed the reed cage, and added a cheap fueling fix like a ln FMF power commander or an expensive one like a Vortex? You can’t compare it stock. The rules are a little stiffer now than 08.
  2. Beardoge

Beardoge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My buddy just bough a 19 EXC 450 yesterday is that all he needs to do ? What reed cage are you talking about ?
  3. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike is still stock. I’d like to open it up but don’t want to spend another grand lol. I’ll take any advice you can give.
  4. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
  5. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    See above and all your questions will be answered.
  6. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Un-corked (Vortex/Akra/full desmog) the newer 500's have a bit more mid range but really shine on top compared to a good running 530.
  7. Rickfenn1

Rickfenn1 Voltron

Oddometer:
    Well the JD jet kit has served me well for a long time but after going through the carb and finding some worn parts I figured I'd give another brand a go maybe.

Bike is setup as a supermoto, ridden at sea level has a stock header with akrapovic muffler with no screen, I put the full JD kit in it so the spacer is on the accelerator pump and will probably remain, and all the emission stuff removed.

So either re buy the worn components of the kit, try out the Blais Racing kit, or is there anything else out there still available?

It's been a while since anyone has talked about jetting, didn't know if anything better has come around since fuel injection took over. haha
  8. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Zip-Ty Racing (Ty Davis) supposedly are the best in the business at FCR repair and tuning. If I still had a carbed bike, I would just send it off to him and tell him to make it right.
  9. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Willfully Stupid

Oddometer:
    I just switched from the JD kit to the Blais kit after a carb rebuild this winter. Waiting for the temps to stabilize a bit before I dive into really dialing it in but intial rips up the road felt really strong.
  10. Tourmeister

Tourmeister What's that funny noise?

Oddometer:
    What about the Lectron Carbs? I never got around to it simply because I don't get to ride my 530 as often as I'd like, but I was seriously considering one of their carbs so could quit messing with rejetting every time I went somewhere with any altitude.

https://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/
  11. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do they even do 4 stroke carbs?

Nevermind, I see they do. Never heard anyone install on 4 stroke, only 2 stroke.
  12. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Have you done the o-ring mod + CRF accelerator pump? The only additional thing the Blais kit has which is nice is the new drilled emulsion tube, but JD + o-ring and accelerator pump from an '04 CRF450R are the ticket.
  13. Wesleycphoto

Wesleycphoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, i went to replace my rocker arms as i suspected the obnoxious ticking noise was the result of worn out rockers. Which after visual inspection i was correct they had some abnormal wear marks on them. While the rocker arms were off i decided to rotate the motor to inspect the cam lobes for any odd wear marks.

My dilemma now is after rotating it a few times with the rocker arms off i have no idea where in the stroke i am. :baldy:loco

With that said.......When i go to install the new rocker arms is there anything i need to do so as to keep timing correct or can i just slap them on there re-find tdc compression and inspect the valves as planned?

I blame my ADHD for not paying attention...that and being a total NOOB to wrenching on bikes. thanks in advance :clap:doh
  14. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recent finish of my current build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Tourmeister

Tourmeister What's that funny noise?

Oddometer:
    Have you tested out the head lights yet? That is the one area where I have just NEVER been happy with my 530. I've tried several different kits, none of which were really any good for actually being able to see where you are going at night. I recently mounted Denali D4's on my 1200 GS and they are BRIGHT. Is that what you have mounted in the fairing?
  16. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi there. Simple answer is no. I haven't tested them at night extensively. However fitted are a BD squadron sport combo beam for the dipped beam and a squadron pro combo for the high so from what I have read its a pretty solid bet. I'd be able to fit a XL 80 without to many modifications so if I ran out of light that would be the go. I could re-wire to use the sport with a wide cornering lense for the dipped beam and the pro as a spot and run both while using main beam. I didn't as it's easier wiring this way.

Or also I've realized that I can fit a S2 pro or sport where the ram mount currently is (above the 2 led lights and its moving) then run a 6/7 inch light bar vertically. Then the options are much great in regards to lighting. To many options, hoping to just get out and ride verses being in the shed!

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out both fabrication/design wise and aesthetically.
  17. ugo1st

ugo1st Adventurer

Oddometer:

Wouldn't give up a fcr for a lectron ona 530. The big intake vacuum pulses of the 510cc will wear the slide out quickly on the lectron. They scarifical zinc plate the wear surface because they know it's an issue. A FCR slide runs on rollers, a much better design. Plus the lectron doesn't use a accelerater pump so would rely on richer setting to make up for it.

A stock xcw needle and JD jetted carb uses long needle without much taper and a blunt tiip. The JD red is almost identical to the stock obdtr FWIW. Because of the slow taper and big tip a larger main jet size is used, 170-180. This gives the bike a more gradual feel as the throttle is rolled on. More controllable in the dirt if your looking for traction not (un )impressive wheel spin .

The blaise and some riders prefer to jet with a steeper quicker taper needle, which ends up with a tiny tip, and uses a smaller main jet like a 160 due to the smaller needle tip. The result is the same max power but it feels like it comes on faster as each degree of throttle rotation is supplying more fuel sooner. I played around with it one weekend using a bunch of different combinations , and yes I was pretty amazed on how it woke the bike up. But after time set in and I found it to more abrupt offroad, and found my mpg had dropped significantly, 26mpg, I returned to closer to a stock set up.

I did the limit cap on the stock pump diaphragm to reduce the pump travel to honda spec. You could just as easily put in a large leak jet and accomplish the same thing. Both are about the same work, but you might have the parts on hand to do it one way or the other.

my 02
    WIsixfitty, LC8TY and SoilSampleDave like this.
  18. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got 4 of the screens as pictured above going un-used if someones interested.
    ktm luke likes this.
  19. snarf

snarf WFO and clueless

Oddometer:
    8ED3623D-9172-471E-AB30-5E6CC61E429C.jpeg Heres my hooptie.. Listed for sale but who am i kidding.. Im gonna keep it..
    TrailBreak and LC8TY like this.
  20. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Any idea how to adapt one to an 18 FE501? I suppose if the price is right, I could fiddle around with it for a while.