KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a bit more done....
    20190824_161555.jpg
    LC8TY likes this.
  2. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, for a newbie, why the filters on the breather hoses?
  3. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey tileman,
    Well the breather system has been a hot topic with these bikes for a long time, my bike being a may 2010 falls outside the oil migration/breather issues but, every now and then it would eat oil and a lot, and i found engine oil in the airbox, (havent checked the idler bush yet) reading through this whole thread the sx models had the breathers run down to the frame to the ground, so I'm not worried about crank case pressures or vapours and i change the oil very regularly so the best idea i can come up with is this so the engine can breath, the oil vapours can hit the filter elements and drain down, (keeping dust out as well) i think the oil vapours fourm to oil on the inside surface of the hose and drain down into the airbox, now it's above and will drain back into the engine, it's a therory until proven...
    tileman likes this.
  4. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got more done, good news is i have the upgraded oil pump gears, saves money,
    20190826_130850.jpg
    20190826_120016.jpg
    It was fun getting it up there with a dicky hand. I got hold of a 450sx cdi which I'm curious to try once back togother. Now the cleaning begins.
    TrailBreak likes this.
  5. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    Looking good. I did the oil pump gears and shaft upgrades last year, along with the updated rocker shafts.
  6. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey traibreak,
    Did you find any issues with the old rocker shafts? I'm thinking about replacing mine but will probably do it when i do a piston.
  7. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another successful day, stripping the frame down and checking out the brake pedal and the bearings are rough as! So replaced them.
    20190828_120646.jpg
    Packed them with more grease, your not surposed to do that to wheel bearings as it makes them over heat but foot break no problem. Given all the bearing issues I'm seeing i think this bike was pressure washed as it only had 1800k on the odo and 7500k now.
    20190828_163442.jpg
    And more bearing issues!! When i got the forks out i felt the tripple clamps and yeah rough as, when i removed them they were dirty like they were un-sealed, washed them up and fitted them and no more notchiness, looking at the clamps i think dust and debris get in through the steering lock so i sealed it of as i dont use it, see how they go. More to come.
    ChasM and LC8TY like this.
  8. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    I didnt find anything wrong but the new shafts are supposed to provide better oil delivery. Here's a mugshot of the offender.
    IMG_0470.jpeg
    Sledred likes this.
  9. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to know, bike looks good with the new decals, how many miles has it got? Please let me know how the new piston goes as I'm on the fence about mine, last thing i need is for it to blow up then say should of done it.
  10. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190830_110128.jpg 20190830_110043.jpg Got more done today, what a pain in the ass to clean the engine cases, got there though found left side lower rail damage not from me! 20190830_110216.jpg that's the frame and engine clean as a whistle, if i could aford it i would get the frame powder coated orange. Time to get these two back together.
    endurists likes this.
  11. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Bike had just shy of 10k miles, all on the original piston. Leakdown test showed it was down about 20%. Piston itself was in pretty good condition, rings were definitely out of spec. I decided to upgrade to a forged Vertex piston. Install was cake. Ended up having to replace both exhaust valves and all the valve stem seals. Just finished the break in last weekend. Pulls like a truck.
  12. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow over double mine, for the most part they're a durable motor, i might just pop mine open to make sure one way or the other, just means it won't go together as quickly.

Did you get a high comp pistion? Cylinder was ok? Thanks for the replys.
  13. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    No i went with a regular piston. Pretty easy to tear down and look.
  14. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    I thought about checking the piston and bore and I decided it's not worth it blowing up so i poped it's lid and had a look..
    20190906_081846.jpg
    Yeah she's burning oil, when you see the piston clean on the thrust sides you know, and how dark the carbon is on the crown, it's jetted with jd kit as well so it's not too rich.

Messured everything up and it's all out of spec:beccaon the plus side awsome motor to take apart, time to do some ringing around.
    20190906_085317.jpg
  15. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Mine was pretty bad as well. You might find the exhaust valves need to be replaced. Mine were trashed. Also DO NOT try lapping the intake valves. They are titanium and that will ruin them. The exhaust are steel so you can lap those. I used the old valves to clean up the seats. Plan on changing all the valve stem seals as well. They are a source of oil seepage into the cylinder.
  16. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi TrailBreak,
    Thanks for the reply, i already ordered the udated rocker shafts, valve stem seals, rocker cover gasket, head and base gasket, checking the head over i noticed the intake valves were damp looking. Getting the barrel checked tomorrow, i doubt it will be ok so I'm waiting on a quote from the only reputable place in Australia to replate and supply a piston, gritting my teeth already. In the meantime I'll strip the head down and take a close look at the valves. Thanks for the reply.
  17. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love all this info. Peman, where are you sourcing your parts from? I use Boltons here in vic who I've found to be great just wondering when it comes to pistons etc.
  18. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey tileman,
    I'm in ipswich and get factory parts unless over priced from ultimate motorbikes, with pistons, i normally use serco in woolloongabba to do the cylinder work and match the piston and bore but they don't deal with nikasil so I'm waiting on a quote from electrosil down in your state! I've had a good run with wossner pistons and will try my luck again.
  19. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers, If you need me to help out down here let me know although I'm out of the country for 3 weeks as of next weekend.
  20. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All good, thanks for the offer.