KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok then, i decided to get the cylinder checked out at a few bike shops and get this they don't even have the equipment to mesure the bore.. sooo where do you send them? Such an such place down the road ok went there and left it with them. Got a call the next day went down there and he told me he very lightly honed it and messured it and it is at the upper limit of the first size but it's at the beginning of the next size piston ok i think. I know your not surposed to hone nikasil but it looks really good, hunting b size pistons now, what do you all think? Got the quote back from electrosil for replating and supply a piston and yeah $790 ouch 20190910_132849.jpg
  2. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
  3. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks header, but I just can't afford to send it to them even, it's a pain tying to get good work at a good price here in Australia.
  4. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    I've gotten alot done in the last few days, all that's left really is the top end, waiting on parts for that. I stripped and cleaned the carby it was spotless in side, cleaned all the plastics and removed the old decals, fitted new decals, repaired the harness where it had worn through and neatened it up, polished the header and muffler, the only downside is the tripple clamps are bent, when assembling the front end tightned it up the wheel was pointing to the right straighten it and the forks bind up, will look for another set. She looks bloody sexy though!! Can't wait to ride it again. 20190913_162939.jpg 20190915_162147.jpg
    TrailBreak likes this.
  5. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
  6. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    Looks great! Nice work!
  7. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much.
  8. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    Finally got back to the bike, finally got all the parts in and got to work assembling the top end, spoke with the machinist and you can hone the cylinder very lightly with a dimond honer and it came up mint, tracked down a wossner piston a 12.5:1 comp, clearances came up good. Got to the head and striped it and decarboned it checked the guides and valve seats are good, reassembled it with the new rocker shafts and and valve stem seals, tourqued the head down and checked the valve clearances which were good. 20190916_125714.jpg 20190916_142805.jpg 20190916_152003.jpg
    The good news is the crank check out ok too.
  9. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    Finally got it all back together, breather hoses sorted and wiring harness in place and secure. I put the 14 tooth sprocket on the front to see how it would go compared to 13/46, oils in, got the battery in, tank and seat on put fuel in, hit the button aaaand nothing, i forgot to plug in the four pin square plug into the starter relay... plug it in and hit the button and it booms into life again.
    I let it warm up a bit and put the helmut on and feeling rather anxious as it's been four and a halfish months since i rode it last. Hopped on and rode out the driveway looked left then right then powered on out down the road straight into a wheelie:gdog oh yes the evil one is back! The tourqe is much better then before and it sounds beefier.
    Just a 10min ride then back to check everything is ok and all is good. After an hours ride I'll drop the mineral oil and run the motorex synthetic oil and put the bash plate back on.
    And that will do it for a while. 20190921_151834.jpg 20190921_152039.jpg 20190921_152017.jpg oh and the 450sx cdi doesn't work at all.
    tileman and TrailBreak like this.
  10. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    Got out on the bike twice now and it's been awsome, I've got a lot of fitness to regain because i can't hold on to it for long, only problem I've had is on the second ride it developed a miss in high rpm, it was a very hot day and you could hear the fuel boiling in the tank and the fan was running a lot i suspect the thermostat might be playing up, I'll try gutting it to see if it helps. Never had this problem before.
    Plug looks good. 20191007_163652.jpg 20191007_140658.jpg
    Otherwise it is evil as ever, but i love it.
    The best part is no oil consumption at all.
    TrailBreak likes this.
  11. Bikedude987

Bikedude987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    plug looks sooooper lean. probably wasnt helping your overheating issues.
  12. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it does, i couldn't read the plug ever as it was always black, cleanest ive ever seen it. I might raise the needle one clip.
  13. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Peman.

Did you single sump it?
  14. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey tileman,
    No the crank was fine but when the time comes to do it i will single sump it, 600mils for the engine is ridiculous. I'm getting a couple of new rear tyres today to try pirelli scorpion xc mh and kenda parker dt see which will last the longest, hopefully longer than this one, 20190929_172655.jpg
  15. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alright then fitted new tyre, what an a hole stiff friken tyre it was but i think it will last more than a couple of rides, this is the pirelli scorpion xcmh 120/100/18 will torture it this Saturday,
    20191010_162804.jpg
    tbarstow and TrailBreak like this.
  16. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I love that tire on my 530!
  17. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That gives me encouragement, even beter we've had rain too so no dam dust.
  18. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    Got rained out today so no riding which was a good thing anyway as i test run the bike on the stand and it still had the boging thing happening, so i pulled the carb out and checked the pump squirt was working and looked at the needle and the clip is on the third from the top on the red needle in the jd kit which is for hot humid conditions. I put the clip on the fourth spot put it all back together and bog is 90% gone wound the mixture screw out 1/4 and bog is gone, haven't ridden it yet but it's better already but i have to wonder what caused this issue? Haven't touched jetting for a long time and the last time i rode it it was fine? Is it possible burning oil can stuff with jetting? And now it's too lean especially that it's run in now? Bloody weird. Will go for a run and check plug again.
  19. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well then,
    there was a break in the weather so i went for a test ride and wow it was definitely too lean, road was damp and first four gears it limiter banged all the way down the road it has never been able to do that before, no pop on decel either, way more tourqe, 6th gear feels like 4th, got back and pulled the plug and it looks better to me can't wait to get it in the bush tomorrow.
    20191012_120133.jpg
    Thank you for all ideas and suggestions
  20. Beardoge

Beardoge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Opinions please.... 2009 530 EXC has been a wonderful rock solid bike. probably has 11,000 miles on it. I'm at a crossroads with it. The countershaft spline is getting very wore out, is it worth splitting the case and replacing it or just sell it and put that money toward a newer one ?
    Buddy has a new 2019 and honestly I can't see any reason in the world to buy a newer one other than to save the work of tearing this bike down.