KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HI BEARDOGE,
    If you're michanically minded id give it a go, but keep in mind you will be spending a bit of money on parts to go that deep to replace gaskets and seals and all the updated parts mentioned in this thread. Personally i would fix it as i too couldn't justify 18k on a new bike when looking 2.5 years ago, and it's a good time to go through the whole bike? And for me very satisfying to know your ride to the core and it is at it's best. Also the engine rebuild thread in this site is very informative.
  2. Beardoge

Beardoge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Peman, I'm leaning toward fixing it my local dealer wants $11,200 for a new one. The shaft is $75.... Looking at it it doesn't look too bad remove the swingarm, top end and pull the engine out.
    I have split cases on 4 strokes before just not looking forward to it...
  3. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    Split it. It really isn’t that much work.
  4. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    And you might as well do all the 2010-2011 updates while you’re in there...
    TrailBreak likes this.
  5. Beardoge

Oddometer:

Thank you for the encouragement ! I removed the engine, split the case and replaced the countershaft, all finished up and the bike is snorting fire once again. I replaced the oil pump gears while I was in there because well … there plastic, important, and were only $3 a piece.
    The bike has 12,000 miles on it and I was very surprised at how clean and little wear there was anywhere in the engine. I did struggle putting the transmission back together as even though I was very careful removing the gears and bits I had one gear backward and took me a bit to figure that out. But other than that it went very well and it saved me $11,000 dollars ?! LOL
  6. enduro16

enduro16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You split the cases, and you didn't single sump
  7. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And now you know your bike a whole lot better than before. And a little bit of pride that you done it, sucks if something goes wrong though...
    Beardoge likes this.
  8. Beardoge

Oddometer:
    no
  9. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, I've got a new problem, this fookin bike hates tyres! 20191116_113216.jpg
    This is three rides old.. and about 400km
    No grip in the loose stuff, pirelli scorpion xc mh Done and dusted. Went with a dunlop d606 120/80/18 see how it goes, used them on the old tt600, much different animal though.
    20191116_115556.jpg
  10. Beardoge

Oddometer:
    That's a very well documented problem with these bikes..... :imaposer
  11. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 606 is really heavy. I love the Scorpion XCMH on mine. You do have to burn it down to almost nothing to get your $$ from it, but you're riding a KTM not a BMW! The cheapest thing on your bike is not the guy riding it!
  12. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    I used a 606 rear on my TAT trip this year. It did not fare well....neither did a Pirelli MT 21. Hilariously a Kenda 270 outlasted both of them.
  13. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    How many miles did the Kenda 270 last (rear tire)?
  14. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    I don't remember mileage, just states. 606 lasted from PA to MS, usual east coast TAT terrain. MT 21 MS to CO, flat midwest stuff. Kenda CO to OR over the roughest terrain of the trip. Still had life at the end 46918E96-B4A2-4A08-8083-8842A80357C4.jpeg
    Fast1 and Beardoge like this.
  15. Beardoge

Oddometer:
    Wow I have to know the details of your trip did you write a report ? I've been bla bla about the TAT for over a decade and here I am only getting older and not doing the trip....
  16. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    no I'm not much for reflection on the trail. Just ride as fast as I can, for as long as I can. Short version is me and another inmate (mrstarks2001) loosely planned it over 2 years. We took the MABDR from PA to the start of the TAT, Sam's tracks through to UT, then took the UTBDR up to ID, then back on Sam's to Port Orford OR. Rented a box truck and drove home. 27 days total riding, no days off. Came out to about $6k miles or so. Camped 23 of 27 days, mostly primitive National Forest sites. I can post some pics if you want.. Just go for it, find someone you know you can ride with for a month or so. Its not that crazy to do. The western section was the shit.
    Beardoge and Fast1 like this.
  17. Beardoge

Oddometer:

You used a 530 ?
  18. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Damn straight
    Tuffgonger likes this.