1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Hey folks. I'm looking for an OEM take-off rear plate holder/ Tail and signal light assembly. I know there isn't a single person running one, but not sure if anyone kept the one they yanked off. I require it for a DOT inspection and my XC_W/ flush signal setup won't pass.

Like this, from Ned's initial bike prep on page 1.

[​IMG]
  2. havoc1

havoc1 Big Bikes, Little Brains

Oddometer:
    Howdy folks. Rebuilding a 2010 450xcw SD after dropping a valve. @dieselcruiserhead your old bike. Oops. Developed a bit of an oil migration issue and I didn't catch it in time while thrashing the hell out of it in Baja. I'd dropped a new top end in it about 15-20hrs prior due to oil consumption and the rings were worn well out of spec, so I assumed that was the problem. New rings, piston, and valve seals seemed to have fixed what ailed me. Well, that was part of it, and I wasn't aware of the oil transfer issue. Basically a confluence of multiple issues, not the least of which is I'm a dumbass. Lesson learned, and I'm treating it as an opportunity for the kids to learn as they always do. My son will inherit this as his dualsport in a couple of years--best that he knows it inside and out. So while it may not make sense from a pure monetary standpoint, we'll rebuild. Just wanted to say thanks for all the great stuff here that I've been scanning through. Special thanks to @Hodakaguy for his posts on the oil pump upgrades (already done, probably by @dieselcruiserhead) and for the great write-up on the torque limiter that I used a couple years back to re-adjust the slipping limiter.

Now, if you have any parts sitting left over on the bench, I'm certainly interested as my current running tally is around $1400USD. That's before Millennium takes on the head repair and cylinder.

Question to all, with a Thumper Racing 518 kit on there, does it make sense to go to the 530 cam or stick with the 450? The 450 (older 78036010333) was in there and the motor stomps ass. Of course I always wonder if there's more... I'm more dual-sport oriented on this thing with desert and other stuff, but I'm not above throwing it up technical trails too.

Just cut the single-sump mod in there last night since it's apart. Academic question as most of the changes have already been done, but at this point would I even care about the various oil pump and seal upgrades since it doesn't matter what side the oil flows to?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I was really happy with the 518 big bore kit on mine. I ran the stock OEM cam and bored the carb out
    havoc1 likes this.
  4. havoc1

Oddometer:
    I certainly have nothing to bitch about with the 450. Only reason I'm changing is this little guy right here.

Attached Files:

5. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    They are all good IMO. But the 518 is at the top of my all time best KTM motors. Just the right mix of torque and snap. Basically a short stroke big bore.

OH yea, I still have a pretty complete 400 XCW bottom end for parts if you need anything.

FWIW
    havoc1 likes this.
  6. havoc1

Oddometer:
    Nuts! What I need is the head. Certainly appreciate the offer though! After going through my order list, I've pared it down quite a bit and have made some updates (2012 500exc rocker arm shafts for example). Was able to spec my intake valves and they're in good shape, so that's $250 saved right there.

Still casting around a bit longer to see if anyone pops up with parts before I pull the trigger on an order.
  7. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I may have a complete setup from a 530. PM me if interested.

Hodakaguy
    havoc1 and TrailBreak like this.
  8. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the stuff from my 500, wonder if some of that might fit. Looked the same as my 530 stuff.
  9. Beardoge

Beardoge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why even bother rebuilding the head $550 and just buy a complete brand new one and be done with it...
  10. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    You sure that is complete? I am seeing $700 for bare head, $500 for valves, $300 for cam, $300 for rockers and shafts.....++++
  11. havoc1

Oddometer:
    Last I looked, a good NEW prices was $470 for the head and another $540 for valve kits, rockers, shafts, etc. Plus I'd still possibly need it looked at for valve guides, right?
    https://www.ktmworld.com/oemparts/a/ktm/524b9627f8700231ac499b3d/cylinder-head

Basically wherever I can save a few bucks, I'm going to.
  12. havoc1

Oddometer:
    Shot you a note. Notifications are hit or miss for me, so I put my contact info in there.
  13. Beardoge

Beardoge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your correct that is a bare head..... I'd scrap the bike.
  14. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bung. Hodakaguy came through with an assembly. Figured someone here had to have one collecting dust.
  15. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, merry Christmas,
    This thing called life has been getting in my way keeping me busy, but still getting on the evil one here and there and loving it! The d606 rear tyre is going very well with five rides on it now with plenty to go, ticks most of my boxes so will stick with it, it's a 120/90/18 which seems to behave better to me than a 140/80/18 sharper turning and howls way less than the 140, and of course pics! 20191226_102542.jpg 20191228_153701.jpg 20191228_153639.jpg After a bath.
    Oh yeah i did loose my horn (no funny bisness) and some reason it broke the tab of the radiator, not going to replace it as i only connect national parks and forests and I'd have to remove the radiator to repair it, and for my Christmas I'm getting a personalized plate. Happy holidays!!!
  16. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    Merry XCmas to you too Peman. Thanks for the post!
  17. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    31C28CF1-E5E9-46A0-B428-1891D620E14D.jpeg Merry XCmas to me!
    sixshifts, Beardoge and Dirt2007 like this.
  18. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    L
    Oh my, congrats
    There's no way I could keep my license if i went that route...
  19. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    The plan is to do some track days with it.
  20. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Smart man...
    Fast1 likes this.