KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Leystone

Leystone Back in the saddle

Oddometer:
    Hello 530 owners. Looking at a 2010 this weekend, low hours (26) and mileage. Will ask all the usual bike questions and have a good look through, but being new to this model (and brand, currently have a DR650 and a KDX) are there items to look at in particular on a used one?
  2. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey leystone,
    Besides the usual questions the biggest thing with these bikes is the oil migration and oil burning issues, being a 2010 model your oil pump gears are good, but like mine being a 2010 it burnt oil and with only 600 mils in the sump you can trash an engine quick, so basically if you get it, do a piston and valve stem seals, get the jd jetting kit a muffler, then the suspension done for your weight and you'll be mostly sorted.
  3. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20200108_142720.jpg Hi everyone,
    Went on a spending spree again,
    Place your bets! Jetted, muffler, high comp pistion? Will find out results tomorrow.
    endurists, TrailBreak and massholejim like this.
  4. Leystone

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to quickly check if it had any oil burning issues? Spark plug, compression test?
  5. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    OOOO BOY!
  6. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    inspection scope down the spark plug hole and check for lots of carbon build up. With that few hours it should be pretty clean. A leakdown test never hurts and takes no time to do. If its bad you may want to walk away because it would most likely mean the bike was neglected. Check my post on my top end replacement after the TAT this year. 2009, 10k miles on the bike, i've had it since 1000 miles. Leakdown was at 25% loss on original piston.
  7. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    What octane fuel will you run with the high comp piston?
  8. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, it runs the best on shell v power 98 octane, don't know why but it's a noticeable difference between caltex and bp fuels. Haven't herd from the dyno place yet, the agony :becca
  9. Leystone

Oddometer:
    Is there a VIN based way to check the build year on a 530?
  10. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got it done, 48.7 at the rear wheel not quite as much as I thought but the air/fuel ratio is spot on, slightly rich at the top but fine. he said the cam is letting it down at the top of the rev range, so my next step is cam shopping.. he's emailing me the dyno sheet tonight and ill put it up. Got him to fit the new tyres as well michelin desert race front and rear, see how they go.
    20200110_155251.jpg 20200110_155259.jpg 20200110_155311.jpg
    Going to hit the outback this sunday.
  11. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I'd like your opinion of the rear Michelin Desert tire once you get some time on it..

Did not know Acerbis made saddles or is that a replacement seat cover?

12. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi fast1
    with the tyre i can give an initial review after this sunday, all i know so far for the riding i do the dunlop d606 has lasted the best by far with good manners off road and on it, still has life left but took the opportunity to swap it out while i could. with the seat i got that off the local flee market and it is a moulded one piece seat, can still buy them, still have my original to recover soon.
    Fast1 likes this.
  13. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well that was a utter failure of a day, you know those days when you should've stayed home? yeah i should have.
    headed out and up to speed and has a nasty vibration and head shake?? i can deal with that off road, continued on and turned onto the last bit of tar before dirt road got up to 80 kph or so and a flock of 5 kangaroos from my left decided to investigate the road, cleared two and hit one into the left side of the front wheel then into the bash plate and then my shin, wobbled me but thankfully the steering damper helped here and i steered into him a little and just lucky, pulled up and my shin is aching good, had a look at the bike and broke the fork guard and gutts, poop and fur down the side lovely, continued on and forks are tweeked!
    so found a tree and straightened the wheel and continued on, got there and had a drink for a bit then headed in and not one kilometer in and i crest this jump and i see i'm lined up with this melon sized rock, great! when i landed it hit the bash plate on the right side then into the brake pedal then into the footpeg forcing my foot into the fame hurting my ankle, with both lower extremities now hurting i promptly turned around and went home. 20200112_084506.jpg 20200112_084516.jpg 20200112_084411.jpg 20200112_084421.jpg
    nzrian likes this.
  14. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And when i get home i noticed this, 20200112_084632.jpg
    Time to fit that new plate i think, and try to figure out the head shake and vibration issues.
    Fast1 likes this.
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the next ride will be a bit more fun and you can exploit the high comp engine and new tires. at least the blood isn't from you.
  16. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Glad you are OK Peman
  17. Beardoge

Beardoge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yikes ! what a day you had !!
  18. Chiknmunky

Chiknmunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tenth letter or number denotes the year. I have a 2010 but from what I understand is they were 09's with a 10 vin.
  19. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some were, champions edition I think. Later 10's were different though I believe.
  20. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words
    been busy as sorting out life again, but got back to the bike and reset the triple clamps, lowered the forks to the last line, got the wheels balanced and dropped the tyre pressures to 20 psi rear 18 front and quarter of a turn less on the fork preload, put new grips on and handle bars with less sweep, got the new seat cover on, new brake and gear levers And as my luck would have it i got a bad batch of fuel as when rode it last it didn't have the punch it normally has so i drained it and got more from a different servo and wow! test rode around the block and very encouraging.
    friend with a 18 six days 500 wanted to go for a ride on saturday arvo and it's been raining on and of all day...ok..
    You couldn't remove the smile from my face when we got to the rest are in the park, the performance from the tyres to the suspension to the ergonomics was fantastic! these tyres need low pressures to work well, they out perform all tyres i have used to date! We got half way through the park stopped again and noticed the thunder coming and decided to get going but got caught in the most heavy rain i've ever been in, was fun though as it wasn't cold or anything and again the bike handled it well, got home dried of and was so happy compared to last weekend, finally done for now.
    still haven't got the dyno sheet which! i think i'll dyno again with good fuel at another place as i don't think the bike was at it's best. 20200118_172048.jpg 20200119_172252.jpg 20200118_170928.jpg
    and a death noodle!!
    nzrian, TrailBreak and endurists like this.