1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    I got bored again so i was looking around the web for bikes and things and came across this thing, a 1999 540 sxc, a trade in, got it for a good price and my plans are to flog the crap out of it as i've gotten the 530 to a point and thought [i don't want to wreck it now] will keep it for particular rides which means this sacrificial lamb will be the practice/training bike and to do dumb things on, left kick start is fun.. vibes like a jack hammer but it's a revy thing, will do basic maintenance but thats all.
    if anybody knows about them don't be shy.
    20200130_172207.jpg 20200130_172212.jpg
    TrailBreak likes this.
  2. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dropped the pressures to 20 and 18? I only run 15-16 for road riding and less for anything offroad. These bikes aren't heavy and don't need high pressures in tires. Good to hear it's running well though.
  3. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Bungholio,
    I normally run between 22-24 psi which covered the 14 kph to the location and back which has worked well for years and on many different tyres, and i weighed my bike a while ago and it was 136kg/299 pounds plus my 246 pounds and i go flat out and i can feel the front tyre compressing into the front rim, but these tyres are very specific for the riding I'm doing so can probably handle a flogging on low pressures??? All i know is i haven't stopped learning over the years and won't as i love it too much.

I'll try and get a video up to show the pace and terrain this weekend.
  4. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody,
    got to the bush today and had a blast, got a video too hope the link works, the bike is running flawlessly but will try different tyres as the head shake comes and goes and the rear tyre has worn down to the point of less grip in a straight line but the cornering grip is good, on the road it vibes the bars pretty badly no other tyre did this, both problems came into it when fitting these tyres so value for money is not there strong point.
    tyre shopping continues..
    20200202_181536.jpg
    TrailBreak likes this.
  5. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update Peman! This bike is so fun in the wide open stuff. Can't figure out why your rear tire wore out....
  6. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, now i just need to figure out how to go faster!!
  7. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody,
    Well i've been busy digging around and reading etc in regards to tyres and keep coming back to motoz tractionator desert h/t for the rear, i couldn't decide between the 130/90/18 or the 140/80/18, like clothes sizes vary between manufacturer so i got both, and i'm glad i did as the 130/90/18 has smaller centre knobs, never would've known that so i spooned the 140 on and it looks fantastic! the space between the centre knobs can cause a vibration like the michelin did so less gap the better.

For the front i'm trying the maxxis it desert, no particular reason besides getting rid of the michelin which induced the head shake. fingers crossed this combo works well, should be out this weekend. 20200207_154248.jpg 20200207_161800.jpg 20200207_161856.jpg
    Will have to give her a bubble bath this weekend too.
    endurists likes this.
  8. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    is it 'Roo rated?
  9. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haha well the disc guard and bash plate are roo tested, i've learnt me lesson to slow down in certain areas that's for sure.
  10. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody,
    Got out on the bike today when there was a gap in the weather, and i have excellent news, head shake and vibes have gone, very good start the only thing i noticed was a slight hum at speed nothing to be bothered by, got to the bush and let rip and straight away the grip was way better, could tip it into corners and bends throttle on out with confidence, the front tyre is awesome as it's gives good feedback and doesn't deflect at all or wash out, the bike has never felt so good, the grip from that tractionator is so good that when i gave the throttle a snap and dropped the clutch at the car park it just launched straight up onto the back wheel and i'm dog walking the bike trying to keep up with it, caught it and dropped back down and my friend is laughing his ass off.
    Went for a run down the track again and traction is that good that i've got to lean forward more to keep the front down, tested the cornering more and i just tipped it right into a corner and it just went round, even at speed the bike isn't bouncing around anymore on the rocky stuff, i'm truly blown away how well the bike feels the whole time i've had the bike it's never been this good, couldn't be happier, and the wear looks to be good too! soo can't wait for this weekend.
    All that's left now is my conditioning and see how fast i can go...
    20200209_111229.jpg 20200209_111321.jpg 20200209_113637.jpg
  11. sixshifts

sixshifts n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, 2010 EXC 530 champions edition. Low on oil when i got it, did a leakdown-piston and rings needed replacing. Did the rocker arm upgrades to 2012, oil pump gears, piston/rings/timing chain. Have yet to install DT tensioner, i was advised against it on a fresh rebuild from the DT guys, recommending to wait 20 hrs.

When i kick it, every few kicks, ill get what feels like it slipping a tooth. and then resetting and being fine. I checked the splines when i removed the kickstarter, they are good. I checked the kickstarter gear when i had the clutch side cover off, everything looked fine. I use the magic button as often as possible, but id like to have this fixed before its an issue. Has anyone had this before?

btw i got through the first 288 pages so far. thanks to all the legends out there that contribute
    Bonafide Bob likes this.
  12. G-lat

G-lat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2008 did this from the time I bought it. I sold it with about 800 hours and it never got any worse (or any better).
    sixshifts likes this.
  13. sixshifts

sixshifts n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks for your reply G-lat. 800 hours, wow! That’s awesome!! I’ve got about 160hrs on mine. It’s had a few previous owners tho.

so did you still kick it anyways every once in a while? Makes me nervous putting a full kick into something that might slip.
  14. hardhat

hardhat Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, i had a situation sort of like this on my 2003 625. Not only happened when i kickstarted (which is a MF on that bike!) but also e start was a bit difficult. I ended up replacing the "sprague clutch" i think its called. Its what locks up the starter motor (or kick starter) to the axel when you start up the bike. Once spinning, the sprague clutch sort of "retracts" so there's no friction when running. Not sure fi this could be it but it is a common issue on the 625 - which i think is a very similar motor to teh 530. I have NOT had to do that on m y 530 yet however.

Just a thought.
    Tim
    sixshifts likes this.
  15. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Does the kickstarter drive through the same back torque limiter that the e-starter does? If so, that’s probably it. I didn’t think it did, but my memory isn’t that great.
    sixshifts likes this.
  16. sixshifts

sixshifts n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies guys. Hardhat, I’ve never had an issue with the e-start at the same time

I went back to my pictures, (and hodakaguys) it does not drive through the torque limiter. I did attempt to tighten that while it was off.

Ive spent the entire winter working on this thing i just wanna ride!!
  17. hardhat

hardhat Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Re the kick start torque thing...

well, i must be a ijit then. pretty sure the sprague clutch messed up the estart. It was a number of years ago and i must have mis-remembered about the kick starter. Now that you mention it, it would make sense that the kick start drives the motor directly and wouldn't need a clutch. sorry for the false lead. No other good ideas today!
    sixshifts likes this.
  18. G-lat

G-lat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep and that bike is a beast to start with kick only so you gotta give it a full kick! I tried to figure out why it would slip, but gave up. I really only started it that way every few months just to make sure I was covered in the event of a dead battery. For the cold mornings when the battery was struggling I used a combo of electric starter with kick and it never seemed to slip under the reduced torque.

I was just out camping this last week and talking around the fire about how great the 530 is for a big mile baja bike.
    sixshifts likes this.
  19. ktm luke

ktm luke n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m keen if you still have one or two