KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    OR_Rider I notice your in the states or I'll assume your in that Oregon. I'm checking as to if I can get more made. The exchange rate at the moment is pretty good for you so even though the postage might be high I'll keep you posted.
    z_rider and OR_Rider like this.
  2. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Intro: S. California rider getting back into the sport. Picked up a 530 a year ago and ride the local desert trails as often as I can. This thread is HELPFUL!! Thanks to all who contribute.

I have a couple of questions you guys may have already sorted out. First, I'm having computer problems. A couple of months ago I replaced the battery but ever since the amber backlight doesn't really illuminate during use, save for a quick blink during it's initial startup or when waking up the computer. In addition, the computer itself restarts two or three times during a ride for no apparent reason. I'll repair it if I can as I'm fairly handy with circuit boards but does anybody know what it could be? And if it's not repairable, what's the cool ticket for a new enduro computer given a 530 is the platform?

Second, I broke my tail light assembly yesterday while sampling the soil. It was a sicass racing unit with LED blinkers and license plate. Nothing against sicass BUT I've seen some by KTM hard parts(78008016000) and AMP racing(78014040044) that seem very slick and a few of you mentioned having them earlier in this thread(~ pg 112). I just wonder if there's enough room for my small teardrop blinkers to be installed on the sides and not have the license plate block them. Also, if anyone here has gone through one or more of these products and can shed light on their respective sturdiness, led blinker installation and whether or not the various light functions are available(white for license plate, red for running and brake) I'd be grateful.

Thanks
  3. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the 12v power to the Speedo has a bad connection.

I installed a trail tech vapor on my 530 and ran it that way for a few years without issue. Just don't spray directly with water.
  4. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll look into the power feed and ground for the computer and make sure they're run properly and provide stable 12v current. I suppose temporary leads directly from the battery to the computer may be useful for testing this scenario.

So do I understand correctly that the Trail Tech may not be as waterproof as the stock computer is?
  5. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had issues with one but I hot it for a second or two with a pressure washer. Normal waking not an issue I just didn't spray it directly as a precaution. No issues other than that with 2 units on 2 different bikes, riding in rain or shine and with crashes.
  6. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Washed the mud off and can now see my SAR tail light mount is well broken into 3 pieces. In the pic below, you may note the aluminum bracket I fabricated a while back to solidify the entire tail light assembly under the fender. That worked for approx 6 months but at this point I'll give one of the alternative mounts and lights a go. Please chime in if you have a favorite.

[​IMG]
  7. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    You were correct. Found the brown ground wire was broken just after the zip tie that holds the three power feeds(2 grounds, +12v) and the loose end was not visible due to it being tucked up and under the wiring panel. I actually felt the jagged tip at the zip tie and still could not make out that one wire was missing from the bundle.

Once I figured that out it was just a bit of stripping, twisting and some heat shrink and the speedo's good as new. Way stoked as it's far more legible with the back light on.
    Beardoge likes this.
  8. Hank.SD

Hank.SD Jet Measurer

Oddometer:
    My 09 400 (all 2011 updates are done) has the zero to WFO bog/stall issue. The top end is new. It has a JD jet kit with adjustable fuel screw, a Boyeson adjustable leak jet.. and I really think the baseline jetting is spot on. I haven't done much with the bike for a long while, but yesterday I decided I'd tackle the issue. Pulled the carb and got the squirt set so it times right at .8-.9 seconds and misses the slide. Messed around with the pilot jet and ended up at a 45, which seems perfect. Idles steady at 1750-1800. The fuel screw seems to be in a good spot... maybe 1.75 turns out and turning it out or turning it in a turn or so makes the idle change. i have the "o-ring" mod done to the pumper linkage. Has a new plug.

The "bog" isn't bad. I can whack the throttle open at about 7/8 speed and it either just goes or has a tiny hickup and goes. But if I snap it open as fast as I can.. it will fall on its face. I feel like I should be able to tune that out.

The weird thing is I can crank the adjustable leak jet all the way closed, or all the way open, and it really doesn't make a huge difference. When I set the squirt up on the bench, it made a huge difference going even a half turn. Bike runs damn good otherwise.
  9. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    What size main?
  10. Hank.SD

Hank.SD Jet Measurer

Oddometer:
    That's a good question and I can't answer it. Runs great from midrange to top end though!
    My latest thought is that maybe the AP orifice is partially plugged.. Even though the timing is good, its just not getting enough.
    I'll tear it down again and make sure that's good and will report the main size.
  11. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Willfully Stupid

Oddometer:
    Oddly enough I am in the same boat as you. I am running a KTM fender setup PN 78008016000 with the SAR flush mount LEDs. I am in the process of replacing it with the same setup. The SAR lights mounted fine on the fender.
    IMG_0470.jpeg IMG_0577.JPEG IMG_0574.JPG
  12. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Noice bike! But ya that's too bad. I just bought that same KTM part # and installed it. I'm in the process of mounting the tear drop blinkers now. Decided to hold off on the KTM tail light while I check out options. I like my SAR light due to the white license plate leds and the fact I already own it ;-). I may fabricate a triangular ABS or PVC mount for it and the turn signals during this rona vaca.

Obviously your fender setup didn't hold up to deacceleratiin sickness any better than mine but from what I can tell the KTM underfender is a far more substantial design than the bent pvc I had from SAR. Let us know what you find and I'll post pics of my layout once I'm further along.
  13. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    I had this issue when I bought my bike a year ago. Note: I have a Pro Circuit T4S exhaust and I'm at sea level and usually soar between 1000 and 5000 feet altitude. What's worked for me are JDs recommendations for the 530.

Blue needle on 4th notch from the end, #175 main and #42 pilot jet. I don't believe I'm running a spacer in the accelerator pump but i do have the oring mod. #85 Leak jet. Air/fuel mixture screw is at 1 and 1/8th out.

Thing just rips trenches from the getgo now. Good luck and let me know if you want me to checkout my diaphram spacer in the acc pump.
    Hank.SD and OR_Rider like this.
  14. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Willfully Stupid

Oddometer:
    In the fender's defense, it came down in a 12 O'clock position from about 4 feet up :doh
  15. Hank.SD

Hank.SD Jet Measurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that information. I'm pretty sure I'm at JD's baseline settings for my altitude as far as needle and main goes, but I cannot find their original setup sheet and I don't think they will send out new ones.
    Could I be a huge pain in the ass and ask for a copy? Its the same kit for the 400 and 530 I believe.
  16. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I called them and they emailed me the setup sheet for mine. New to me bike, already had JD kit installed.
  17. Hank.SD

Hank.SD Jet Measurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know! I will give them a call. Thanks again.
    OR_Rider likes this.
  18. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen a clean wiring job done on these bikes? What I have under the number plate is a dark secret that I intend to remedy and soon.

Also, does anyone know where I'd find the various wiring connectors the bike uses? Looking for the JST waterproof two pin connectors as in the picture below. I'd also be interested in knowing some of the alternative connector types and their pros and cons if there's a better way to go. Thx

Attached Files:

19. Bonafide Bob

Bonafide Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Nice call Bob. Looks like a good resource and I have a few sets on the way. Did a search on that site and found them listed as Ducati turn signal connectors. JST-JWPF is the name for that type of connector in case anyone's curious.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/jst-jwpf.html