KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Willfully Stupid

Oddometer:
  2. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    have fun with these. took me 8 connectors to have 4 come out right. biggest problem was getting them to seat in the housing.
  3. Bonafide Bob

Bonafide Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    They can be trying, but the little locking tab can be bent slightly to help hold them in place.
    TrailBreak likes this.
  4. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like it's going to get interesting because I bought exactly one extra of each connector.

Today I rode 50 miles of Baldy Mesa with no lights, underfender or plate(hung it off the camelback) and I can tell you I didn't miss that stuff at all. Had perfect weather and a blast.
    TrailBreak likes this.
  5. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Got the bike back together last night. Blinkers work (thank god).
    z_rider and Bonafide Bob like this.
  6. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, got mine back together also.

I did end up building an aluminum housing for the tail light which serves it's purpose well. It stores wires, allows for my SAR brake light to be reused and positiins the plate light above my license, but it adds little to the sleek racer design aesthetic. I stand no chance against Tileman and the rest in that regard so I'm happy enough with my effort.

Now I have some Mosko Moto bags on the way so need to make her ready for long days on the trail. I suppose I'll have to add some attachment points and it looks those will be on rear fender plastic. Let me know if you've done this right or wrong. Your tips are always welcome.

Attached Files:

TrailBreak likes this.
  7. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Good work man! As far as attachment points go I used a small rack when I did the TAT last year. It was on the bike when I bought it so I can't tell you where to get one, but it installs easily and does not require any cutting or plastic mods. It is strong and looks good as well. Here is a pic of it (not my bike)
    KTM rack.jpg
    z_rider likes this.
  8. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Got some miles on the bike this weekend. Had a blast. Such a great bike. 7E17764B-4768-4686-8DD9-3C197E232733.jpeg CF14B6B5-47A9-49DE-8500-51C9747AC3FC.jpeg
  9. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    TrailBreak, what a day! And such a gorgeous place to ride.

I got my bags. Going to town on my camping gear as my old stuff was geared more towards car carrying than lightweight dirt bikes panniers. So ya, I'm learning all about ultralight, superlight, crazylight tents now. However, I was able to do a few laps around town loaded with 35lbs and noticed the front end wants to come off the ground frequently. When you were doing the TAT, how many lbs cumulative were you comfortable toting?

I also checked into that rack you have. Looks like it's a fairly small production run coming out of Toronto. Good stuff for sure but I haven't called for a price yet. Presently I have the bag's rear tie downs looped under and around the fender(testing only). Depending on how that goes, they gave me two bolt on tied downs that are meant to be attached through the plastic. Looks functional enough but have to put some dirt miles on the straps first to see if that'll do. Can't imagine what type of torture 100 miles of desert will be for those mounting points.

Also, what hand guards are you running? You have way more room up there than I do. Thx
  10. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Yep Tileman is correct, Highway Dirt Bike guards and bar clamp. I never weighed my gear when I did the TAT. I did respring the bike for my weight (210lbs) however so it was not stock. I never had any problems with handling, and there were some 65 mph runs through forest roads in Oregon and Arkansas where it would have showed. I used the Wolfman Enduro Dry Saddlebags and a dry duffle along with a Mosko Moto Nomad tank bag. The tank bag did not work out as it was too hard to stand up with it on. We camped 23 of 27 days on the trail so that was everything, camping gear, tools, clothes, etc.

Attached Files:

Beardoge likes this.
  12. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Alright, a'ight! Bags are on. I went ahead and drilled through my new rear fender/underfender to use Mosko's tabs. I drilled a 7/32" hole exactly 6 1/2 inches up from the corner of the fender and 9/16 of an inch in from the center trough on each side. It's location was chosen for a few reasons. First, it grabs both the top fender and the underfender for additional stuctural ridgidity, second, it allows me to tie down the bags rearward far enough that they don't interfere with my hydration pack(at least for me, 6ft tall). And a third consideration, which I think may be worth mentioning but may prove to have been a fools errand, is that in theory the short straps and tabs that physically overlap the harness will keep it from bouncing off the fender. Let you know how that goes later.

TrailBreak: Looks like you had a front fender pouch and also ran a power cord to your Garmin on the bars. Wondering how much can be carried in the pouch without it bouncing too much and did you have accesory power for charging your phone at the same time as the Garmin?
    20200528_101828.jpg 20200528_101915.jpg

Attached Files:

13. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    I did have a Wolfman fender bag containing a front tube and my tire irons. If you go that route plan to notch your fender or it will move and or fall off. Expect it to bounce but I did not find it excessive. I did run power to the bars but just for charging my phone and battery bank. I just used lithium batteries in the GPS. Food for thought, the way your bags are mounted is dependent on your fender remaining intact. If you scroll up you will see my post about snapping mine off from a minor spill. That would seriously blow if you had that happen in the bush. A rack provides redundancy.
  14. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    I know that's true. Racks are my mainstay when traveling. I decided to hold off on the rack until I get some miles on the bike as is.

So today I rode up the tallest mountain near me, 5,680 ft, fully loaded wondering what type of riding I could do with 40 lbs strapped on back. I started out very carefully waiting for the inevitable wobbles from unexpected luggage shift or loose gear but after a few miles I got tired of waiting and I attempted to push the pace to force the discovery.

Boy was I wrong. Full tilt up the mountain I go with the wheels sliding, rocks slinging, hitting highest line on every berm, jumping at every opportunity but all for nothing. The gear didn't budge. Barely knew it was there save for a few times I'd slide back far enough on the seat to bump into it. But I was riding just the same as I'd have done without bags. Too much fun.

So for now I'm content to get going with the rackless setup and devise plans for a busted fender(It's just a matter of time). If/when I start bigger trips I'll have to revisit this and probably all the rest of my baggage and make improvements.

But at least now I know the riding can be fun. That was not how I went into this. At best I thought it'll be bearable, I'll see lots of sights, have some exercise and get to know my state better. Ya right! I'm on a 530 and it FLYS. Blink and I'll miss the state.
    20200607_162855.jpg Rode in, over and under clouds creating majestic scenes on the way down. 20200607_170453.jpg
    TrailBreak and Bonafide Bob like this.
  15. Cimpi

Cimpi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys!

Do you have any idea about engine and swingarm protection to my '09 450 EXC same with 530. Thank you in advance.
  16. Beardoge

Beardoge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All these years later and the old 530's are still killing it !
    z_rider likes this.
  17. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    I love my bike
  18. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure the usual suspects (acerbis, etc) should have something. My bike came with a KTM aluminum skidplate.
  19. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Did a good 150 mile rip today. Hit some new stuff that was awesome. Need to pick up a pack saw since a few of the trails were blocked by blow downs. Love this bike. IMG_0634.jpg IMG_0635.jpg IMG_0636.jpg

Attached Files:

z_rider likes this.
  20. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Ya man. It's a hella fun bike to have in SoCal. Mine still rides wheelies on walls! G0015258_mule_canyon_rotated.JPG
    peman and TrailBreak like this.