KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    My chain(Regina o-ring) is kinking and not moving very fluidly anymore. It's within spec but so far I've been unable to clean it well enough to improve.

What's the hot ticket for chains? Has anybody found something they really like?
  2. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Willfully Stupid

Oddometer:
    Ive had good luck with DID chains, O ring X ring, whatever
    z_rider and Bungholio like this.
  3. Beardoge

Beardoge Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Primary Drive 520 O ring from rocky mountain cheap and just as good as any chain you'll find.
    z_rider likes this.
  4. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    I decided to use the stock chain KTM provides, 520 vt2 from D.I.D. Some others I tried with good results and some bad, like yours I had a few stiff links even after a bunch of miles. Vt2 had been good. Don't remember if the one I had issues with was Ek, RK, or Regina.
    z_rider likes this.
  5. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendations. Primary Drive is one I haven't tried but have been interested in. The name/place slip my mind when I need em.

So although I haven't picked up a chain yet I did install an inexpensive set of UFO chain sliders. That and possibly cleaning the chain have had a rather significant impact on the bike's feel. It's far quieter and has less vibration. I'm pretty sure the old sliders were original and the chains had dug a 5mm channel into them.

Now with a clean chain and fresh sliders there's a noticeable difference for the better.
    TrailBreak likes this.
  6. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Good deal. I was noticing some slipping in my clutch so i threw a new EBC clutch pack with HD springs in. I will provide an update after I go beat on it.
  7. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in knowing how much clutch drag you had before and now after the new clutch pack has been installed. I've got a bit more drag than I'd like in mine and when the engine is cold, starting in gear with the magic button is difficult.
  8. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    I always had that drag since I bought it. Seems worse when its hot. I've read about people adjusting the torque limiter but it hasn't bothered me enough to mess with it. I'd check the condition of your slave cylinder o-ring and clutch fluid and bleed/replace it. If the o-ring leaks you won't really be able to tell unless you take the slave off. You could also check your clutch basket and make sure it isn't notched since that would mess with the plate disengagement. Cheers.
    z_rider likes this.
  9. Tuffgonger

Tuffgonger Where is Speed Racer? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Replaced the torque limiter this spring, and have to say it made a difference. Got stuck uphill on some single track this weekend and the magic button worked great in gear. Not going to say this is a silver bullet, as the are times when I need to roll the bike a few inches to get it to start while not in neutral, but better than before. ymmv.
    TrailBreak, z_rider and Bonafide Bob like this.
  10. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Made it to the 1 year mark with my bike so splurged on some clothes and farkles.

HDB Handguards fit well, offer built-in mirrors that won't be left behind and free up gobs of space on the bars. ProGrip 714s also found their way on there so be interesting to see how the thicker handhold works.

Seat cover, a GUTS, perhap's a bit too sticky with jeans and haven't tried with full gear. My son has the same cover but with smaller diamond texture on top and I loved riding that. We'll see how this hardcore gripper goes and if it's nice maybe I'll even do the dining room chairs and couch the same way.

Ordered a small upholstery stapler from Harbor Freight for that purpose(doing the bike seats not the couch) and it's served remarkably well. Wide crown(7/16") 20GA stapler with a box of 1000 5/16" leg heavy duty staples ~$40. Cranked up the air to about 80-100psi and they sank perfectly(Booyah!). No new foam since I also hoard/store more of touring seat in the garage for long hauls and if this one's on the bike I shouldn't be sittin' much anyway.

Rear tires's working hard to move up the todo list... Parker DT 120/100 which's been fantastic but with only a couple of rides left in it. I'm readying to do the CABDR light and fast which although is nearby will surely require a solid 200 miles on the freeway or possibly 300mi on asphalt, which makes me wonder what you guys do in such circumstances? I'm thinking the longer route on asphalt is preferable.

Attached Files:

TrailBreak likes this.
  11. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    These were meant to be included in the previous post.
    20200715_132553.jpg 20200715_132749.jpg 20200715_132820.jpg 20200715_132634.jpg 20200715_132131.jpg
    Bonafide Bob likes this.
  12. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
  13. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    That's on the list too. Pretty sure there's a plug and play version of that switch made for the 530 that'd be painless to install. A few months ago I installed a set of generic/all bikes SAR light/horn/indicator switches on my son's 2005 exc and there I had to create a couple custom plug assemblies, then test to determine which wire was which the whole way through. Not really difficult but who wants to fiddle that much?!
  14. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Mine were plug and play
    z_rider likes this.
  15. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    See? More better! Couldn't resist taking sunset pics. Might not look this good after the next ride.

And as a side note... the bike's chain is working better also. My guess is the worn out slider was flattening links at top & bottom which in return, was causing certain links to bind or kink. That even feasible? 20200716_192659.jpg

Attached Files:

tileman, Bungholio and TrailBreak like this.
  16. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well ain't that purty
    z_rider likes this.
  17. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    When I walk into a parking lot distracted by a million and one errands to run, and then see that? Best money I ever spent!
  18. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does look nice. I like the body work style of these years more than the earlier or later ones.
  19. ShawnKTM530EXC

ShawnKTM530EXC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there an ‘08 530 EXC owner around here from Simi Valley, California? One that has all black plastic?
  20. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Update on the clutch. The old was was definitely smoked. Pulls so hard now. Had to adjust the lever because the clutch wouldn't fully disengage with the new pack. All good.
    z_rider likes this.