KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. JMW1193

JMW1193 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone. This is my first time ever posting in a forum. Hopefully I am in the right spot. I am in Australia and I have just purchased an immaculate 2010 KTM exc-f 530. I am wanting to fit a rear grab handle/haul loop. Is there a certain brand that will fit? Has anyone mounted one under the fender on the sub frame or under the seat?. I am looking to mount mirrors as well as handguards, the mirror mounts are a clamp style that mount the the handle bars separate to the handguards. Has anyone done this before? is there enough room? What sort of fuel mileage is everyone getting? How I would also love to see some pics of how people have set up their 2010 exc-fs for adventures and hear some stories about their trips. :) Cheers!!
  2. BoiseBrrrap

BoiseBrrrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    z_rider likes this.
  3. BoiseBrrrap

BoiseBrrrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I thought I'd drop a quick note. Recently redid my top end on my 2009 450 exc at 620 hours and 13,400 miles. I bought it used at 300 hrs and ~6,000 miles. Has always run great. Changed oil and filter every 2-3 rides (Mobile 1 15-50).

Oil consumption triggered the new top end. I'd finish a 40 mile ride w some heavy hand in the sand washes with no oil in the site glass. Always smelled like it was burning oil and would use some, but oil consumption kind of ramped up. I never measured what came out - never tried to quantify loss.

I dont know if or think the top end had been done before I bought it.

I leaned heavily on @rdewers rebuild thread
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/2008-ktm-530-exc-r-complete-xc4-engine-rebuild.1086301/

Piston and cylinder looked good. Piston measured some slight wear but was within spec. Cylinder too; a little wear but round and in spec. Valves had a lot of carbon build up.

0121211702.jpg
    0121211702a.jpg

0121211703_HDR.jpg

Probably could have just done rings and valve seals, but had already ordered a new vertex piston. ok, shop ordered a new wiseco, but it came in 2mm too big. Apparently a difference between an exc v. exc-r shop said (my bad communication). Returned the wiseco and ordered a vertex on shop rec. New piston, rings, valve seals, timing chain (probably not needed), and cam. Shop (Moto One in Boise - my neighbor) cleaned up the head and valves, and bench shimmed it. Connecting rod main bearing play was in spec. New cam because decompression thingy seemed loose on the press fit pin. The decomp press fit on new oem cam was only slightly better, so probably not needed.

0128211821.jpg

Message_1612040293978.jpg

Put it together, broke it in in three progressively aggressive cold to warm to cold laps in the neighborhood. Changed oil and filter. No glitter.

After 3 rides ~10 hr there is more power and no oil loss. Hardest part of the job was getting the head off of the timing chain guides with the frame in the way. Easy.

Great bike!

0307211325.jpg
  4. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Willfully Stupid

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write-up! Itching to ride here on the East Coast.
    BoiseBrrrap likes this.
  5. Swack

Swack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great write up, glad to see its still going strong. I'm losing some and will open it up soon just to check. Thank again
  6. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    I used the same guide. @rdewers should get some kind of award. His guide is pretty much exactly as the factory repair manual reads, but with pictures and testimony. So good!
    TrailBreak and BoiseBrrrap like this.
  7. rdewers

rdewers Mid Life Opportunist

Oddometer:
    Awww shucks:) Glad it was helpful. As I've mentioned, there are so many times when I've benefitted from all of the gurus on sites like Advrider, that it was a privilege to be able to add something of value even though I'm no guru. Just a lot of time, notes, and photography. And some beer.
    B-Rod and Bonafide Bob like this.
  8. lufihengr

lufihengr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any recommendations on supermoto rear wheels?

My current one is an Excel one from KTM, but the chain rubs on the sidewall of the tyre and the rim. Leaving nasty marks and I believe it is causing excessive vibrations. I have had the chain tension checked by a KTM repair shop and they didn't find anything wrong, so it's not like I'm running the chain super loose or anything.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? The current rim is 5 inches wide. I'm thinking of going to a 4.5 or 4.25 inch
  9. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Willfully Stupid

Oddometer:
    I have heard of 5" rims causing this. From what I've read a 4.5" would most likely not rub.
    lufihengr likes this.
  10. lufihengr

lufihengr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  11. Davey Bee

Davey Bee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DSC03069.JPG DSC03073.JPG IMG_2846.JPG

Here is my 2008/10 530, with Covid dashing my 2020 Overland plans, I decided to build what I thought would be the perfect travel bike for me. This is what I came up with, hope you like it.
  12. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  13. Davey Bee

Davey Bee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    24 litre
  14. ShawnKTM530EXC

ShawnKTM530EXC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the guy who bought my ‘08 530, in Simi Valley, CA is around this thread. I was at the Racers Edge getting some tires installed when he asked me if I wanted to sell it.
  15. ChrisP

ChrisP Knobbed

Oddometer:
    Looks great!
    What's the fairing? looks like Nomad-ADV but I don't seem them offering anything for the older EXC
  16. Davey Bee

Davey Bee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They don’t, the tower was intended for a 690, I bought it second hand then made my own brackets, with slight modification to the tower. Looking at their fittings for the 500, I think that would have fitted the 530, but as is well documented, it’s hard work getting through to them even when you’re trying to buy a complete set up. So after about 3 emails I gave up. Product is top shelf though, so worth the effort.
    ChrisP likes this.
  17. Davey Bee

Davey Bee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2A98739A-F0E2-4C08-9C8C-E7E3B03EF6C8.jpeg with Mosko Reckless 80,

Attached Files:

Dao1 and my6 like this.
  18. my6

my6 Hey, I'm a Long Timer...go figure.

Oddometer:
    Love it!!! I'm looking at purchasing a 08 530 and now I have a model of how I want mine to be setup. Excellent job sir...
  19. Davey Bee

Davey Bee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  20. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    What's more impressive is your yard (garden). In London no less! The only thing thing you could do to make it look better would be a bunch of donuts in that lawn. :evil