KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Carmmond

Carmmond S.E. WI

Oddometer:
    Sold mine in Waukesha a year ago in SM trim..... would love to hook up with him on my 690!
  2. my6

my6 Hey, I'm a Long Timer...go figure.

Oddometer:
    Ok, the trigger has been pulled and by this time tomorrow I will be back home with my 08/530. I'm going to annoy the the hell out of everyone with the same old questions about which tank/seat combo fits etc etc etc. Looking forward to making a complete nuisance of myself for a while and hope to make some new friends.

David
    TrailBreak and tbarstow like this.
  3. my6

Oddometer:
    Ok. Repetitive Nuisance Question(rnq)#1 will a Safari 4 gallon tank for a 08 exc fit a 08 xc-w that has a fan?
    Never mind I bought an Acerbis 6.6
  4. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm going riding at altitudes of between 6000 and 8000 feet for the weekend. I have the JD jett kit and put the red needle into my carb with the 170 main. After putting the bike back together I checked my pics and realized I had put/left the circlip in the 5th notch of the needle as opposed to the 4th notch which is what JD recommends for 6-9k in his guide.

Anybody have any input on how big of a difference that one notch will be? Jd recommends the settings I used for 3000 to 6000 feet. Temps should be in the 80s F.

Thanks!
    my6 likes this.
  5. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Went to bed thinking about the question and realized that it was highly unlikely the same jet would be used with the same needle in 2 different positions and re-reading the instruction sheet confirmed that. JD's 3k to 6k foot setup uses the 172 main jet with the red needle in the 5th notch so I decided to pull the needle and replace the clip.

I havent tested at higher elevations yet but here at sea level this setup starts up fine but idles a bit low. On the road it has tons of pep in the midrange but gets hot real fast and a bit less low end torque than I was getting with a 175 main jet and blue needle on the 4th notch.

I'll post a follow up next week but for now it's off to the mountains we go! 20210716_095801.jpg
  6. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    So we ended up having a blast all weekend. Camped at 7200' and rode 3 times a day anywhere between 5000 and 8000 feet. Bike performed great. No temperature issues and started easily. Left me with 6 blisters on my palms. To me, six reminders of the awesome times! 20210717_170115.jpg
    SpaceCowboy7777, my6 and TrailBreak like this.
  7. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Willfully Stupid

Oddometer:
    Trying to come up with a new dash setup. Any ideas? Currently running HDB bar clamp and handguards w/ the stock speedo. While I love the HDB guards, they interfere with my clutch line and I cant move the lever any further inboard. I was thinking of trying the Reflex Racing guards and maybe a Motominded Stout Mount .
    z_rider likes this.
  8. my6

Oddometer:
    Have you checked out HDB's Tower systems? Everything is moved forward. The Ralley Lite seems affordable.
  9. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    I have not. I will take a look. Thanks!
  10. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    I blew the pds shock on my '08. Anybody have tips or tricks they can recommend before I tear into it?
  11. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Its pretty straightforward. The bleeding process can be a bit of a pain to do manually. Going to do any upgrades while you have it apart? I put the Xtrig adjuster on mine when I had it apart. Makes setting sag and adjustments for luggage etc way easier.
    z_rider likes this.
  12. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    I am interested in looking at upgrades. Especially if they make the repair easier or the shock better. I hadn't seen the Xtrig adjuster but that looks helpful for exactly the reason you mention.

Race Tech has some mods and is a name I've heard used by others at shock time. Would their 52mm bladder remedy the bleeding difficulties? They also have the gold valves, progressive springs and a shock spring collar which I think would be taken care of by the xtrig adjuster..
    https://www.racetech.com/articles/ktm.htm

Also, are there any special tools I'll require and is there maintenance I should perform while the shock's out? Thinking about the shock bearings/swingarm bearings etc.
  13. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    I did the bladder conversion on mine. Hardest part of the install was getting the old canister off the shock body. If you get an All Balls shock rebuild kit it should have everything you need.
  14. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Cool. Bought a kit by PivotWorks (PWSHR-T03-000) which has the following parts.

BLADDER
    COMPLETE PISTON SEAL-HEAD
    PISTON RING
    PISTON O-RING
    BUMPER
    NEW SHAFT NUT
    TrailBreak likes this.
  15. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there a recommended piston for the '10 exc530 once the top end needs a rebuild that would help with longevity? And I guess kibblewhite valves are are must?The reason I ask is that I have a crf450x and when I did the top end on that I went for the Trx450r piston from the Honda quad engine as it fits straight in and has 3 rings over the stock 1, increasing life by a massive amount.
    Cheers
    Dan
  16. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard of anything like that. I went with a Vertex when I did mine. The other brand I hear about people using is Wossner.
    Dannylilwall likes this.
  17. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I've seen the wossner recommended a lot actually. Cheers

Also sorry but I think I accidentally reported your comment
  18. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    You did. No harm done. :thumb
  19. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    You sonofa....
    z_rider likes this.
  20. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, did you sort your jd settings? I've just picked up a '10 530exc and the PO fitted a jd kit, I haven't gone into the carb yet but here's my situation..
    Bike fires up and idles great!
    It seems OK when you give it some but when cruising at a steady constant rev range it bogs and splutters. It has an akro end can and I will be riding between 600 and 1100ft. And i live in the UK. Do you know where I can find the settings for those conditions?
    Thanks