KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to JD website and instructions are downloadable there I believe. You could run the sea level jetting and be fine but I found the settings for 3000' elevation worked as well, just a touch leaner at lower elevations and ran a little cleaner.
    z_rider likes this.
  2. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I actually just got an email back from jd with all the settings and instructions! Now thats good customer care service especially as I didn't even buy the kit it came on the bike from the last owner
    z_rider likes this.
  3. GearedUp

GearedUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine bogged at steady highway speed especially in hot weather, swapped their Red needle for the Blue one and all is well.
    Dannylilwall likes this.
  4. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does the blue needle lean it out? I'm already on blue so maybe need to try moving the clip up
    z_rider likes this.
  5. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check the accelerator pump mod for correct function.
    Dannylilwall likes this.
  6. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are
    Thanks. Is there anything else I should check for that might have been tinkered with? This is my first ktm but I know they need a bit of fettling to get them running better from the factory. It's a 2010 so I would have thought the previous owners would have had it sorted by now but something isn't right
  7. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Filters for the carb drain hoses, like 7602 racing makes. I noticed dirt inside the carb when I changed the jetting on mine once so I got those filters. Check the fuel catch can also, if I remember, fuel in that can cause some issues. There is a drain screw on the bottom(I think). Been a few years since I had the 530.
    Dannylilwall likes this.
  8. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    16298238603504623317903537678782.jpg Got the 530 running sweet now, the needle clip on the carb was in the wrong position. Pulls like a locomotive now
  9. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Willfully Stupid

Oddometer:
    Love that livery
  10. my6

my6 Hey, I'm a Long Timer...go figure.

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a hard copy of the 08 manual that they would be willing to part with?
  11. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only if you buy my 530 in the FM.
  12. my6

my6 Hey, I'm a Long Timer...go figure.

Oddometer:
    Tempting, but no. Only had mine for about a month now...
  13. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm really struggling with this jd jetting kit the previous owner fitted to my 530, seemed OK up and down my street at first but it's definitely not right!
    I set it up exactly to the instructions but was way too rich and ran poor.
    The best I can get the idle is less than a quarter turn out on a pilot 42. Is it possible I need to go lower even the the instructions say 1 1/8 turns out? It also has an akrapovic exhaust with the baffle removed so how can it still be rich? Plug is very fouled at jd's recommended settings. I'm not happy with the mid range either, red needle clip 3 is too rich, blue needle clip 5 pops like crazy but I haven't started experimenting with that circuit yet until I get the pilot right. Could it be something the po has done? Anything to look for? Looks like it has been desmogged too
  14. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Air filter?
    Dannylilwall and z_rider like this.
  15. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are all of the jets open? Nothing partially clogged or corroded? How old is your gas? I realize you're in the UK and don't have the water holding garbage in the gas, but the ROHS stuff that took the lead out of everything has adversely affected the corrosion resistance of the brass the jets are made from.
    z_rider likes this.
  16. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Hey Danny,
    it looks like I took the wrong week off from the forums.

I'm still running the 3k' to 6k' altitude settings in situations as low as 1000 feet with little to no detrimental effect that I can tell. The bike's definitely ripping. My partners are on 2018+ fi ktm and huskys and we all agree the 530s a beast. No discernable bog. Runs a bit hotter at sea level but so far I haven't seen it overheat.

I'll doublecheck my settings but unless I've missed something I'm running the 172 main jet with the red needle on 5th notch, counting from the blunt end, and I'm loving how peppy it is. In the next day or two I'll check the manual where I log all modifications I make in order to ensure this information is accurate.

It'd be appropriate to mention that mine is an '08 in comparison with your '10 but I don't think JD would've changed the kit up because we're both using the Kehin FCR 39 carb. The group can chime in if I'm mistaken and I'll verify details in my kit.

In any case I'll have more to go on tomorrow or the next day as I have to reshuffle the bikes to get to my bags(& documentation).
    Dannylilwall likes this.
  17. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
  18. z_rider

z_rider Goin' plaid!!

Oddometer:
    Hey Trailbreak,
    believe it or not I'm still fixing my shock. Thing is the actual body cracked. I'm told it's very rare and I may have a lead on a used one but until something materializes I'm sol...

20210903_134109.jpg
  19. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I got the bike it had a new air filter but it had been absolutely drenched in filter oil, I cleaned it thoroughly and gave it a normal coating of oil so I'm pretty certain its not that
    z_rider likes this.
  20. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi. I took out the jets and gave them a clean, they seemed good and I don't think clogged jets would cause a rich idle? I checked this on the bike so haven't had the carb off properly to strip and clean. One thing I just noticed is that us has an aftermarket adjustable fuel screw but there is no O-ring above the spring and washer. Could this be letting to much fuel through causing it to still be rich fully turned in? Or would the o-ring be to stop air getting sucked in?
    z_rider likes this.