KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have a beast there! From the little riding I have done mine is definitely an animal just want it running properly now. It looks like I'm going to have to strip it down properly and see if there's something fitted incorrectly etc. Good job I have my trusty crf450x to fall back on haha
    Also rear tyre is a michelin enduro or something, can't remember exactly it came on the bike. I normally run michelin trackers as they feel much safer on the road and I have to ride about 25 miles to get to my nearest trail network
  2. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've just found some information on the tps. I didn't realise some carbs used these. But have read that if it is moved out of position the bike will not run properly causing hard starting and inconsistent behaviour. Has anyone had any experience with this? Some say to disconnect it from the loom and the bike should run much better if tps is out of spec but not as good as if the tps was set up correctly.
    Maybe this could explain why I'm so rich on a 42 pilot with the screw all the way in?
  3. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Willfully Stupid

Oddometer:
    Wow. That sucks man. Hope you can get it sorted out.
  4. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    That could definitely cause an issue. Make sure the o-ring isn't stuck in the carb orifice. Another route to try is the Blais Racing Kit. I have this kit on my bike and I'm very happy with it.

Other possibly helpful articles:
    https://www.dirtrider.com/features/protips/141_0707_keihin_fcr_carb_rebuild/
    (Of note on the above article, the bit about the TPS sensor. If it was messed about with prior to you owning the bike it may be worth getting it checked out)
    https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1252657-keihin-fcr-carb-setup-and-clean-instructions/
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/4ymtz4imygm/13354160-Keihin-FCR-Tuning-Manual.pdf/file

Good luck!

Todd
    z_rider and Dannylilwall like this.
  5. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, will check those links out
  6. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if I'm onto something here but I just read that the 530 6 days model has different jetting to the normal exc, mine is a champions edition which from what I can tell is basically just a 6 days but with different stickers probably as a marketing thing to sell end of year models or whatever. The exc stock pilot is 45 I believe where as the 6 days is 40 from what I read. If this is true that could explain why I'm so rich on idle with the 42 unless I have the screw all the way in?

Does this sound possible, or better still Does anyone have the stock jetting for the 6 days or the champions edition?

Or am I just clutching at straws haha, either way I've ordered a 40 pilot jet and hopefully I can get this thing ripping
  7. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you check float height? Float valve work and leaking fuel past?

The champions edition I think was the previous years leftover stuff that was sold as the next model year before they brought out that years current stuff, just not sure what years they did that on 2009-2010 or 2010-2011.
  8. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    JD website lists one kit for 2008-2011 450 and 530. But your in UK? Might be different over there. I remember my carb had what looked like a tps but it wasn't hooked to anything.
  9. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It has a jd kit with settings which I tried but it ran awful. And float height is set correctly etc. I'm having a few days away from it now as I have a family funeral tomorrow so I'll get back to it with a fresh head and see how it goes
    I've temporarily disconnected the tps incase it had been tampered with as that could affect it also
  10. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A quick update on the 530 carb issue. I went down on thebpilot as the 42 was still running rich. Even though I knew a 40 was probably too small I wanted to try it to eliminate that theory. And still ran like crap so took the carb apart (note to self, stop being lazy and do this at the start in future) and found the mid body gasket to be destroyed, blocking holes and pretty much melted away, also the jet in the bowl (leak jet?) is broken so will need to be drilled out. Does anyone know the stock size of this jet so I can replace it?
    20210909_194005.jpg 20210909_193921.jpg 20210909_194048.jpg
    z_rider likes this.
  11. TrailBreak

Oddometer:
    Wow. That's nasty
  12. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For anyone that's interested I fitted new gaskets in the carb including the mid body and then reset the jetting to jd's recommendations and the bike is running like a dream, so responsive and smooth now! If your bike is acting up and everything seems to be in spec it's definitely worth opening that mid body on the carb to check the condition of the gaskets!
    bearcat1, LC8TY, z_rider and 2 others like this.
  13. hardhat

hardhat Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Help! 530 wont start.
    Spark looks good, gas good, air good.

Cant tell if timing os off but prob not that micb?
    No stumbles at all. Just spins. Compression soumds good.

If kill switch was shorted i would not have spark right?

Out at reno air show. Have tools but not my full garage.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
  14. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could it be flooded? Or maybe carb blocked. Mime just had new gaskets cuz they were shot although I could at least get it to fire up in the end
  15. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Today was my first 'proper' trail ride on the 530 since I've owned it after having to rebuild the carb. Although it's geared for supermoto still I am seriously falling in love with this bike! It made everything so easy and while I could have done with shorter gearing in a couple of sections I still got through with no drama whatsoever. I have a Honda CRF450X which I thought was my perfect bike and was actually going to sell the 530 soon as I got it in part ex and have just ordered a crf300 rally for my long distance adv rides (can you tell I am usually a Honda guy) the thing that I really like about owning owning the 530 is the in depth repair threads on this forum which will make the bike much easier to own and of course the 6th gear is a god send. I do have a ticking noise coming from the top end (I think ?) So I need to diagnose that ASAP, I've fitted a manual cam chain tensioner and tightened it just over the recommended settings and it's still there so could the chain be stretched?? It's 163 hours and had a piston in Feb this year so I guess the cam chain wasn't touched.
    What sort of time should the chain be replaced as caution if ypu have no idea how the previous owners rode the bike? Best to assume they rode it hard to be on the safe side 20210918_160313.jpg 20210918_150456.jpg
    z_rider and LC8TY like this.
  16. hardhat

Oddometer:
    No. Not flooded. Carb ok. We can see the butterfly move so no isseu there i think. Amy other thoughts? Many thanls.
  17. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe check the valve clearances if you have access to some feeler gauges? If they've gone too tight the bike won't run at all and you'll need to re shim. I think intakes are 0.10mm to 0.15 and exhaust should be 0.12 to 0.17
  18. hardhat

Oddometer:
    Shims in spec. Bike just stopped. Did not gradually get worse. Thanks for the thought.
  19. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah man thats shit. Hope you get it sorted man. Let us know when you figure it out
  20. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/PXsWbdMeU-A?feature=share

Here's a link to a video I posted, just wondered if any of you could watch and maybe diagnose my ticking noise? I took the intake rocker arm off and the bearings seemed to have excessive side to side play to me, but I don't know if they're meant to be like that? Also the left/front cam chain guide has movement, is that normal? Just fitted a manual cam chain tensioner and I'm happy with the chain slack