KTM 625 SXC -- Anyone installed an extra oil cooler or reservoir ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by christian, Sep 28, 2006.

1. hondahawkrider

hondahawkrider DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer:
  2. bitemeback

bitemeback electriceel125

Oddometer:
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
  4. Rubber_Down

Rubber_Down SF Rat...

Oddometer:
    It's a 625 SXC, bored to 672, with Adv 7 gallon tanks and body work.
    It's basicaly a Adventure, but one area it falls short is Oil cooling/capacity. It's not a HUGE deal, but would be nice, oil is my friend:D .

I can't wait, she is going to be delivered Nov. 4th:wings :wings :wings
  5. Wylie

Wylie Back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    I have been planning this for some time now but I still have to put it together and put it through testing. My only issues are potentially limiting air flow to the radiator as this is no little oil cooler and will be placed in front of the radiator. This winter I should have the time to finish up the prototype although I probably will not be able to do testing until next summer.
    Does anyone know where a guy can get an oil temp gauge for an LC4?
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Sommer KTM sells (or used to sell) a replacement oil filler cap that was an analog thermometer. Always coveted one, so that I could correlate temp gauge (water temps) with actual oil temperatures, but... so many gadgets, so little money.
  7. Wylie

Wylie Back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll have to see if I can find it online. The gas gauge is going to be a real trick!:lol3 Uhoh German, no sprecenzi, oh yeah I can do Babelfish!
    Chassis number!? I guess that's up by the triple out to the garage I go. Bank Code Number! Account Number!? wait a minute, I'd like to get the part but but geez!
    Ich möchte eine Öltemperaturlehre für mein Motorrad kaufen. Würden Sie die Art haben, die die bestehende verlegte Stockart Ölüberprüfungslehre ersetzt? Wenn so, wie viel tun, sie kosten und wie ich zahlen Sie können? Danke
    I really hope this doesn't mean I want someone to service my mother!
  8. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    If I am not mistaken the above posted bike is indeed a well modded 625... I think it's the one Springs had for sale in the FM. :nod

FWIW why not just change the oil on the 625 when it's time? What do you need more capacity for? It's more work to find/make an oil cooler than to just change the oil. :norton
  9. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Well, the idea is if you keep the oil cooler, it incurs less thermal breakdown, and provides better lubrication for the engine - in addition to helping keep the engine cooler. You will need a thermostat triggered oil cooler to do that, or be ever vigilant and open/close the oil cooler circuit when your oil temp gauge tells you. Ever vigilant... because too cold is not good either.

At one point I got confused because my Redline oil reaches operating temperature at the same temp as the 03's temp gauge overheat light comes on... then I realized that is the water temp, which is not oil temp :tb which doesn't even consider engine head temperatures. or EGT, or :cry
  10. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:

Eh, you know Meat, some people just worry too much. Just ride the damn thing! :ricky
  11. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I do - both - but I don't know if I'm too unsure of my abilities or just too damn lazy to carry thru on my Motochondriasis... :dunno

So I just piss, moan, and :ricky
  12. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Motochondriasis... dude, I like it! Let's see... have we sidetracked this thread enough yet to qualify it as an official LC4 "what the fuck did this thread start out as" thread? Or do we need to keep going? :D
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I had to look at the title to remind myself where I was :D so the question is do we need to pile it on higher? Or deeper, depending on your perspective...
  14. Tuff Tunica

Tuff Tunica Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer:
    I'll try to post my "rough" hand drawn diagram.
  15. Tuff Tunica

Oddometer:
    I'll try to post the process in the future. Too late tonight
  16. Tuff Tunica

Oddometer:
    Try this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250303957845&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching. Althought this listing has ended I'll bet you could email their Ebay store and find another. Good luck
  17. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Say Tuff Tunica,

how do you regulate oil temps or have you found that unnecessary? thermostat? manual valve and an oil temp gauge? nada surf?

Maybe the system is not sooooo sensitive, kinda like a long-haul truck covering part of their radiator during the winter... :dunno
  18. Rubber_Down

Rubber_Down SF Rat...

Oddometer:
    Tuff Tunica,

Well done, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Can provide a parts list and source?
    :deal

Hey Flux,
    Yeah it's Springs bike.He's delivering the bike on his way to Baja, can't wait!:ricky :ricky :ricky :ricky :ricky :ricky :ricky :ricky
  19. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:

Sweet, I was eyeballing that bike for inspiration. I have my 625 in the Flea Market now but if it does not sell I think I'm gonna make it into some sort of rally bike. :nod
  20. Tuff Tunica

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I did. 4860 front forks revalved, rear shock resprung and valved both by MX-Tech. 8" driving light and Nite-Rider HID running lights, 660 kit, rally cam, full Akrapovic exhaust, steering stabilizer, my own special oil cooler (adds about 300cc more capacity), Aqualine Safari 27 ltr tank, MRA wind screen, some tinkering with the carb and Voila- my own little rally bike. Now I don't ride rallye's but livin' out West there is alot of desert to be explored. I've also done multiple trips to Baja and absolutely love this bike. Oh also added a 320 front rotor for a little extra stopping power.