KTM 640 Adv illumination

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by PASSMORE, Jan 19, 2005.

1. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Just rode from Wisconsin to Northern Idaho, 1700 miles, then around 500 miles off road in Idaho, gravel and dirt...rough going at times.

Chinese HID continue to perform very well.

I continue to believe they are the best bang for the buck.

Tough install with dual relays and ballasts, plus re switching and wiring so that the standard switches activate the relays but well worth the effort.

So far they are indestructible using the stock lighting capsules.

bill
  2. SCsurfer

SCsurfer surfing explorer

Oddometer:
    Hey Bill ,
    Where did you get your HID's from ? I did the Eastern Beaver upgrade a couple of years ago and it was a big improvement , but I am still wanting more light .

Paul
  3. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Paul,
    I am traveling and am in the boonies.
    Do an advanced search on my name, the company is listed in my old posts.

Several have used it successfully.

There are several long threads.
    bill
  4. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried to split open the Low Beam housing??

I picked up one of these
    [​IMG]
    Morimoto Bi-Zenon Projectors from a craigslist ad, thinking it would be a direct swap. But its not, I need to open the stock housing, remove the projector guts and swap the new one in. This should give me a better light profile, from what I have read, and also a Hi & Low beam in one housing!

There seems to be 3 pieces to the factory housing, a plastic projector lens holder, a plastic spacer and a metal cone, with silicone sealer between the pieces. I removed as much of the silicone between the metal cone and the plastic space, but still doesn't want to separate!

Anyone have any first hand advice? Or a spare housing, just in case I really screw it up?
  5. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Here's the comparison, you'll see that the bulb and projector lens is open to the elements, not great for our bikes and how they get used! The lip at the widest point is where I removed the silicone from. I really don't want to break out the Dremel tool, but it's looking like that is the course of action I need to take!
    [​IMG]
    Top view, throws things off. The 2 projector lenses are actually the same size.
    [​IMG]
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    :lurk

I guess you don't have a DOT stamp, but at least the projector is designed for the HID element and should work better than stuffing a HID capsule in the stock halogen lens.
  7. cahtty

cahtty n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried out these Hamsar (led) products? Couldn't find much on the net on they products, which isn't the best recommendation to any product... <label for="rb_iconid_21">:huh</label>

Currently they seem to have also high beam on led for 90mm (71079), which is more interesting based on my past experiences with HID lights on motorbikes. HID and high beam don't really work well together as it takes way too long to brighten up, if it has been switched off due to upcoming traffic for a while. As we know, in the most (?) cars they use this moving shutter, hence there is no delay when swicthing on and off. But as we also know, thumbers are not the optimal companion for such a delicate instrument.

Obviously their low beam led would also match my need quite nicely, just trying to find low cost solution, and then low beam HID (aftermarket) + high beam LED combo might be reasonable option.

-cahtty-
  8. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    A lot here just wire the high and low beam to work together, that removes the problem of losing light as you go from high/low. If you replace the std 55W globes with 35W HID, you are only using 15-20W more running both together.

I got a bit more fancy and fitted 2 x 35W HID and a 6xLED light bar and then found I liked the LED more, so rewired so I can run:

Just the HID low or
    the LOW HID and LED "high" OR
    the LOW HID and LED "high" and the HIGH HID.

It's amazing what you can do with a few diodes and relays.
  9. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    David,
    How about some pictures?
    Sounds like a cool system.
    bill
  10. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Bill,

I'll get some details together.

The wiring will take me some time to figure out. It all made sense when I put it together, but now ??? :becca
  11. cahtty

cahtty n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep, you are correct, then you at least have low running while high is still warming up. Even though, at least I found it a bit annoying in my previous bike (BMW12GSA) to wait the high to fully start up after it been switched off for a while. It could have been just a slow bulb or similar. Or just me expecting too much...

Cool and interesting combo. Even though I was initially looking for a solution where I could replace OEM elements without adding more components, this might be even more tempting modification :hmmmmm
    Which LED bar you've installed?
  12. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    I just went out on a limb and bought H1 led bulbs off Amazon, $8 shipped for 2. Didnt work out as the "bulb" portion is bigger than the opening in the housing!

I have been using the ADVMonster led aux lights for 2 yrs?! With great luck, cant even tell my headlight is on when I'm running my 450 lumen, then I turn the 3600 lumen on and roosters crow a mile away, thinking its dawn!
  13. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Low, I thought we had to make a small mod to get the bulbs in?

Anybody?

bill
  14. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Bill- I spent 10 seconds on the bulb hole with a suitably sized sanding drum on a dremel tool for each housing.

Shop air was used to blow out each housing once the fit was confirmed.

Dirty
  15. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Did the same myself now that you say it, easy, no problems since.

I carry a spare bulb but have never needed it.
    bill
  16. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    I haven't looked at the parts fiche in a good while, but I'd swear the bike uses H-4 bulbs.

But I've been wrong on seven different occasions just today alone.

Dirty
  17. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    H1 bulbs.

But Low594 is talking about an LED replacement, not HID.
  18. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Cha Ching!

Personal Record.

That makes eight times I was wrong in just one day:clap

Dirty
  19. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Hmm! Now that you say that, I remember reading something about that! I will have to look into that, maybe my puchase wasnt a loss after all!

Yes, LED, not HID!
  20. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    H4s are dual filament and there are a ton of brands, designs, etc. They have to be the most widely used bulb. Would have been nice to have the dual filament and more options!

On another note, I am collecting the needed parts to do away with my Hi beam and replace it with my ADVMonster Spot and will probably just continue to run it full time. Should look real interesting with the 50mm spot. Still considering an attempt to put the Hi/low module inside the ZKW housing.