KTM 640 Adv illumination

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by PASSMORE, Jan 19, 2005.

1. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    If the new globe does not introduce "scatter" (I have read about HID and LED conversions doing this due to changed relationship between light source and reflector) then I don't think it should matter, so long as your light is aimed correctly.

Your cutoff remains the same, it's just brighter under the cutoff.
  2. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Docwyte could answer this question since he has been using the Monster Mesh low beam lamp for a while now, I've only tested it in the garage.

Unless you modify the stock wiring on a 640 Adv, which I haven't, the low and high beams are separate lamps operated individually (left headlamp is low and right headlamp high).
  3. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not so bright that it blinds people. It has a nice, tight pattern so no scatter. I haven't had anyone flash me, put their hands up or otherwise complain about it. If you put in two bulbs and have them wired as stock, then yes, they are individual...
  4. scrminbanshee

scrminbanshee Ready to travel

Oddometer:
    Ok well its time to order i think. I'm going to put the cyclops in the high and the mesh in the low. I will post back when i have them in hand and am trying to install. Hope to have a full report in a couple of weeks.
  5. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for doing this. Exactly what I was thinking. Take pics ..please. :dukegirl
  6. scrminbanshee

Oddometer:
    Well today I had some time to work on the bike. I received both my cyclops headlight and the adv mesh bulb. Both of which arrived very fast! So anyways a little back story. My bike is a 97' 620 adventure that I converted over to a high pipe version. It only had 11,000 miles on it when i got it. It had also been laid down at some point so the high beam had the adjustment tab broken off. I have ordered a new high beam housing and I'm waiting on its arrival. I thought i would go ahead and figure out what needed to be done so when it arrived it would be plug and chug!

Anyways i'll probably post more photos then whats it worth. I guess a picture is worth a thousand words....

The cyclops came in this packaging. I thought the bulb only had 2800 humans but maybe not???
    [​IMG]
    and packaged in
    [​IMG]
    Mesh bulb, it didn't come in a fancy box
    [​IMG]
    Anyways on to my headlights. I removed the high beam first since it seemed easier to tackle. This is the housing, that is also broken. The adjustment tab has been broken off and epoxied on. This seems like a temporary fix as it keeps breaking. This is where i just decided to replace the housing to make sure that it doesn't fall apart, again. So out with the old housing.
    [​IMG]
    The new bulb going in. Its a little taller.
    [​IMG]
    Now, time to remove the plastic backing to the light as it is the main problem as to why the new bulb won't fit. The plastic backing sits to low and doesnt allow space for the fan on the cyclops. The two wires had to be cut in order for the plastic backing piece to come off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now to figure out what size hole to drill
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bada bing, bada boom
    [​IMG]
    The light is ready to go back in, to make sure everything fits and to see how it lights up. But first a little electrical work. I had to rewire in order to have pulled the plastic backing piece off.
    [​IMG]
    Now, back on with the broken light to see how everything fits. It fits well, no rubbing, no issues. And man is this thing bright.
    [​IMG]

Next up will be the overhaul of the low beam light. Then on to figure out how to get them both to stay on when the high beam is flicked on. There is still a few inches of space behind the light to the forks when at a full turn. Once both bulbs are done and wired for them both to come on when the high beam is kicked on; I will post up some pictures of what the new lights look like at night. Wish i would have taken a couple of pictures with the stock setup.

Hope to get as lucky with the low beam...
    Rot Box and borscht zanetti like this.
  7. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    :clap Excellent ! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I wasn't sure that cyclops would fit.
  8. scrminbanshee

Oddometer:
    Next up is the low beam.
    Now getting this housing out is quite difficult as i left the mounting bar on the bike. i had to spin it around and then bring the light out backwards on the high beam side. But once it was out then is was pretty much the same operation.

Once again i assure you i will post to many pictures.

First up, the picture of the light that i am putting into the low beam side.
    [​IMG]
    Once the light was removed.
    [​IMG]
    Next up, is to fit the new mesh bulb into the back of the low beam to see what we are working with.
    [​IMG]
    Now the same plastic backing piece has to come off the bike in order to drill out the back so that the mesh bulb has an outlet. It seems i forgot to take a picture of this step. It is the same as before you have to cut the ends off so that it can be removed. Then once that piece is off it should look just like the one from the other side. Now to figure out what size holes to drill. On this side, since there is so little clearance i decided i would run the power wire out the side and then just leave the mesh out the back so that it wouldn't interfere.
    Back to the copious amount of pictures. I measured the widest part of the connector on the mesh bulb to determine the size of the hole to drill.
    [​IMG]
    Now to find the bit. I went a little larger just to make it easier to fit.
    [​IMG]
    Then off to my crappy drill press. Now i used a drill press for all these holes but you by no means need one. Its just easier when when drilling holes into an uneven surface.
    [​IMG]
    Once the side was drilled out.
    [​IMG]
    Next up, was to determine the the size of hole to put into the back so that the mesh can stick out.
    [​IMG]
    I decided to go much bigger to hopefully allow plenty of air to get to the mesh. Don't know if it is big enough but if the bulb burns out this summer then i guess i will know:dunno

[​IMG]
    After the drilling.
    [​IMG]
    Now time to test fit.
    [​IMG]
    Then to rewire the plugs since then had to be cut in order for the plastic backing to come off the bike.
    [​IMG]
    Now to refit the light and as always use plenty of lock tight!
    [​IMG]
    The clearance is still tight but it fits no problem. Right when you get to full lock it start to touch the mesh. Once again i don't know how this will effect the light. I will find out this coming summer and if it burns out, then i guess i will know. Here is a picture of it on the bike. I also forgot to get a good picture of it when the forks are turned to the lock.
    [​IMG]
    Next up will be re-wiring it a little to clean it all up and tuck everything out of the way. I will do this when i rewire to make them both come on at the same time.

I would also add that the new lights are super bright and when i float the switch so that both lights come on at the same time. Just the reflection off the the garage door was hurting my eyes :wink: :evil.
    Anyways once the new high beam housing shows up i will remount the high beam side and then rewire so they both stay on. Stay tuned as I'm sure i will post far to many pictures of such a remedial task.

Hope this helps some. Its not difficult by any means. Im really excited to see if i can see at night. :lol3:lol3
    tbrown-bc and Rot Box like this.
  9. scrminbanshee

Oddometer:
    No problem i am also going to send a pm to both cyclopes and adv mesh guy so that they can see how their bulbs fit and will be able to advise others in the future.
  10. joe cool

joe cool Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. hajoktejnSI

hajoktejnSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. scrminbanshee

Oddometer:
    Well today i got the lights wired so that they both would come on when i flicked the high beam on. I thought that since i have reduced the amount of wattage that is used by each light that wiring the power from the high beam to the low beam would work. But the question arises of how to keep the power from the low beam back feeding to the high beam. So while i was talking with my buddy who goes by pokey on here he introduced the idea of using a diode. Needless to say it took me a couple of hours to understand how they work, and if they would work. i realized that all i needed was a diode that would take more than 12volts and 1.85 amps. You also have to account for the amperage that the diode would use and so i decided i needed between a 3-5amp diode. For those who don't know what a diode is, they are like a one way valve but for electricity. They will only allow electricity to flow in one direction. Therefor its exactly what i needed to keep the low beam from lighting the high beam. So i found out that there is a radio shack near by and that they sold diodes so off to radio shack i went. I came home with a new diode and ready to hit the garage to get this wiring done.
    The diode, they come 2 to a pack.
    [​IMG]
    Now it was time to connect it to the wire that was to be used. I'm still a bit new to soldering so go easy on me.
    [​IMG]
    solder one side
    [​IMG]
    Now on to the other side and repeat.
    [​IMG]
    Time to heat shrink. i Also marked the direction of flow so that i could keep it clear as i wired everything together. [​IMG]
    The whole thing maybe a foot long or so.
    [​IMG]
    Next up is to figure out how to wire it all. I decided i could get away with wiring them both into the same connector for the headlight. Plus i had forgot to heat shrink the spade connectors when i had put them on so i could kill two birds with one shot.
    So cut this off[​IMG]
    The replace like this
    [​IMG]
    heat shrink is up next. This is wear i messed i thought i had put the arrow in the right direction but i didn't. :doh so cut it off and reverse it. The arrow is wrong in this picture but nothing a testing light couldn't help me to figure out.
    [​IMG]
    Now time to wire in on my low beam. I love heat shrink it just makes everything look so professional.
    [​IMG]
    Now lets try and see how it all looks.
    Low beam
    [​IMG]
    And high beam:wings:happay:rayof Might have taken me some time to work out, but thats 5300 lumans ur looking at for a whopping 40watts.:deal It hurts to look at even from the side.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see thats some serious light coming out the front. Next up will be, when the housing comes from munns is to aim the lights. Then get some pictures of it down the road out here in front of the house. I am also going to add crash bars and two aux lights that will be aimed at the ditches. Once my new housing comes I'm sure ill post back with a full report and with far to many pictures again.

Just incase anyone is wondering this diode and wiring cost me less than 3 bucks and took about an hour to get put on the bike. An easy mod for a ton more light.
  13. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scrm,

From the angle of your photo the Cyclops high beam lamp (2,800 or is it 3,200 lumen) looks significantly brighter then the low beam Mesh Monster lamp (2,500 lumen), in person is the difference that dramatic?
  14. scrminbanshee

Oddometer:
    No it's not as dramatic. Since the housing is broke on the high side it's just propped up in there so that I could show them both working. I imagine the high beam is "aimed" a little more towards to camera. The low beam also scatters the light more and has a cut off so this also could come into play. The high beam is really focused, almost like a spot light when compared to the low beam.
  15. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you feel both should be done, or can only the low beam be done which I would think is a dramatic difference over stock
  16. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Actually, thinking he same way...at least initially.
  17. scrminbanshee

Oddometer:
    I think redoing the low beam is a huge improvement. Unfortunately this weekend, and half of next week i have a work trip or else i would aim and get the pictures put up this weekend.
  18. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    The stock 640 low beam light is too long, it sticks out so far back that over time it rubs up the cables when you turn the bars... I tried many LED combos inside the headlights and they worked great but always ended up frying out due to heat... About a yr ago I purchased 2 high output LED bulbs with the built in cooling fans and so far they have worked perfectly, even in near 40 degree celcius conditions... I split the low beam headlight apart at the middle seam and bonded on a backing plate I constructed of which I fit the led bulb in, so now the headlight is half the length of the stock unit... On the high beam side I removed the stock bulb rigging and drilled out the bulb port bigger and then also split the light at the seam, I then installed the high output LED in the back housing half and bonded it back to the front part... While I was at it I installed a 9 watt LED bulb in place of the original 22 watt running light... I then have 2- 15 watt LED side lights which trigger on with the high beam... I wired the lights so just the left side low beam and right side running light come on with the low beam switch, then when you switch to high beam every light on the front end comes on: you have high beam, low beam, the 9 watt running light and the 2- 15 watt sidelights throwing plenty of light for just about any situation... The best thing about it is that there is less draw than the stock headlight system while at the same time being about 3 times brighter...
    tbrown-bc and hajoktejnSI like this.
  19. scrminbanshee

Oddometer:
    Do you have any pictures of what you did to shorten your low beam housing? I do worry about it rubbing, but i was able to run the mesh on that side up and on top of the housing so that it did rub nearly as much. Im hoping that this keeps it from having to many problems. How long of life did you have out of the led bulbs before they burned out? It doesn't get all that hot here in Washington but from time to time the mercury will hit around 90-100. If i can get 3-4 years worth of life out of the bulb i would consider it a win.

Im currently looking for some 20-30degree aux lights that chew up about 15watts a piece. Which ones did you go with?

When you flip all the lights on is it like a freight train coming at you?????
  20. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also just installed the Monster Mesh led lamp in the low beam housing. Gunner, I hope this isn't the same lamp you had problems with?