KTM 640 Adventure.......LED Turn Signal Raplacement Flasher Relay

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BRYANDENNY71, Dec 3, 2010.

1. BRYANDENNY71

BRYANDENNY71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put LED turn signals on my bike.

When I had just the rears hooked up it hyperblinked...that got me worried & what I expected to happen....happened.

Once I got the fronts hooked up they wont blink at all.

I know there isnt enough amp draw from the 4 LED turn signals to trip the stock flasher.....soooooooo:

What LED Flasher or No-Load Flasher do I need?

Does anyone have a part number of a generic one that will be a plug & play replacement that I can pick up from Autozone or something?

Thanks,

Bryan
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    maybe resistors needed...
  3. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    AutoZone / Advance has one for $8/$9 it has a clear housing...called a "no load relay"...works great.
  4. BRYANDENNY71

Oddometer:
    Did it require any rewiring? Or did the KTM wire ends fit on the relay prongs?

Do you possible have a part number?

Or is it something they have out on the shelf?

Here is what I found on their website.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...eyWord=flasher&fromString=search&newYmme=true

The top 3 dont say anything about being LED compatible......but the ones below it does.
  5. NitroAcres

Oddometer:
    It was just hanging in the electrical isle (with the light bulbs and stuff)...also I was mistaken it is a "Variable Load Flasher Relay".. the one on my ADV is a "Trideant EL 12 variable load flasher", the one on my Buell is a "Blazer"...part# is covered up.
  6. BRYANDENNY71

Oddometer:
    & that Tridon EL12 flasher worked for your LED lights?

Was it plug & play? Or did you have to put new wire ends on to with the relay prongs?
  7. NitroAcres

Oddometer:
    Not plug n play, I used a connector (Two Prong)off another donor bike...the Adv has two LED's and two incandescent bulbs..

The Buell uses a Blazer FL32 it has all four LED's it was plug and play.
  8. BRYANDENNY71

Oddometer:
    Well I have 4 LED's on my bike.

I tried 4 different relays.

First I tried the Tridon LF12. Electromechanical Flasher.
    "Variable Load", 2 LED's blink super slow, 4 LED's wouldn't blink at all.

So then I go back & grab a few of them to try them all.

Tridon EP34, Electronic Flasher. This is a 3 prong that I just wanted to try out cause I think the third prong would normally be for the hazards.
    It says "LED compatible" online, all flash really dim.

Blazer FL32, Electronic Fasher "Variable Load".
    Works good with 2 LED's, but with all 4 LED's they all flash kinda dim.

Blazer FL552, Thermal Flasher "Variable Load", All flash.

Now here's my assumptions & if anyone wants to correct me then please do.

When I put 2 LED's on there they blink fast because there is less load from the lights on the relay allowing it to blink fast.

On the LF12 with 2 LED's it blinked too slow because there is too much resistance in the relay so it would take more load to blink faster so when I hooked it up with 4 LED's there was even less load which kept them from blinking at all.

Now with the FL32 & FL 552 it worked really good with 2 LED's. Now since it worked good with 2 LED's I figured that when I switched to 4 LEDs that it would hyperblink....kind of mimicking the amp draw from putting 2 LED's with the stock flasher.

Nope. That made them all flash. Bright & at a good speed as well. I think this is due to the relay being reversible because when I flip the wires it does the same thing.

But when I flip the wires on the stock flasher when they are blinking somewhat normal (hyperblinking, but left & right still separate), they wont work. So this makes me think that the relay is a 1-way relay.

But hell......I thought all relays were one way so I dont know why they would all flash with some of these flashers.

I hate wiring & electronics.

I did all this in hopes of finding a cheap $10 flasher.....but I give up.

Tomorrow morning I'm breaking down & running to the KTM shop & buying the SICASS flasher for $30.

https://sicassracing.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_54&products_id=53

If that doesn't work I'm gonna be effin pissed!!!
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Do you have them wired in correctly? I believe with LED the current has to pass one way through the bulb for them to work ... If the light doesn't work try reversing the 2 leads and see if anything changes...
  10. NitroAcres

Oddometer:
    I have never tried to make all four flash at the same time, only two on the same side of the bike...R or L...

As Gunner said, LED's only work one way...recheck the wiring.
  11. BRYANDENNY71

Oddometer:
    I wasnt trying to make them all flash. haha. They just did that.

They are wired in correctly.

When I was doing the rear with the stock fronts if I had them wired one way they wouldnt work & wired the other way they would hyperblink. So I got the wiring down. (yellow-hot, black-ground). So I wired the fronts the same way. & yes I did try flipping the wiring on the fronts & they wouldn't work.

The wiring diagram is flippin confusing.
  12. BRYANDENNY71

Oddometer:
  13. NitroAcres

Oddometer:

That may be why mine work...I don't have a stock dash, I have a VaporDash...so no indicator light....hummmm could be.
  14. BRYANDENNY71

Oddometer:
    I unplugged the indicator light & sure enough....the left & right blink separately. So it was the indicator light was what was backfeeding & making all the blinkers blink.

But I still couldnt find a generic relay that worked correctly. Some had way too much resistance & wouldnt turn on at all. Some had slightly too much resistance & blinked to slow & really dim. & some didnt have enough resistance & they just turned on & didnt blink at all.

So I just bought the SICASS relay & since I want to keep everything working & clean & correct on the bike & bought the indicator light resistor wiring kit from SICASS as well.

If all goes well then I'm going to let SICASS know that their kit works for the LC4 adventures as well.
  15. BRYANDENNY71

Oddometer:
    Well the SICASS relay & indicator light grounding kit worked perfect.
    Plug & play.

So I take it out on yesterday for its maiden voyage. Make it to my old mans place about an hour later.

They dont allow bike to be ridden in the community so he made one of those hitch from tire carrier things.

It worked towing the bike to the house. But as we were towing it out so I could leave my dad made a u-turn near the gate to drop me off so I could just ride out.

FLAP!! FUCK!!!

The bike leaned so much that the front tire popped out of the shoe.

We didnt know it leaned as much as it did but with the front tire about a foot off the ground in the shoe & with the fork angle rake it makes the bike lean way the hell over to the outside when you make turns.

Broke off my brand new right rear LED blinker & scratched up my brand new rear fender & side panel (just did a rear end conversion on my '99)

So I'm pissed & get to do all this shit all over again. haha.

Luckily the blinkers are only about $15/pair & it will give me a spare.

It will also give me a chance to rewire the rear blinkers with disconnects rather than hard wiring them in.

Lesson learned.

But all in all, for about $80 the LED turn signals worked out really well & look really good.