KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. albacore

albacore Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought one for $30 but haven't installed it yet, my initial impression is underwhelming. The steel insert drops in the bronze with slop already, maybe I can get a couple years out of it then have someone make a nicer one up.

I do appreciate the link though, it's better than what's in it now and it's frustrating/depressing trying to find discontinued parts.
  2. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    My FCR's are NonMX...not sure it makes much difference..between Non and MX. (I have an FCR41MX new in the box I am saving for a project LC4).
    I like the 39 on the 640ADV as I don't ride it WFO much..riding it here in the SouthEast it works great,
    the 41 on the SXC works perfectly for single track and WFO..a few times I have run it HARD WFO being a total Squidiot..conversely it worked great plodding along singletrack in Colorado..
    As far as fuel mileage two of our riding friends have LC4's with BST40's and fueling is about the same or sometimes better with the FCR (much to their disbelief, some of it is riding style, and I have AutoClutches).
    Throttle response is snappy..but then again, I have never had a "Proper BST", and never wanted one, and no stock exhaust either.
    Antti likes this.
  3. luk.mxtr

luk.mxtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for responds guys !
  4. luk.mxtr

luk.mxtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was told one day that after installing Carburetor Keihin FCR 41 MX to my 640 Adventure 2005 would be good as well to install ECU unit taken from KTM 625 model, which originally is equipped with Keihin FCR41MX
    and ECU provide slightly different Ignition Curve what can give you even better performance than carburetor swap only .

They are many ECU units available for KTM 625 SMC road models and KTM 625 SXC enduro off road models .
    Is it a big difference in Ignition Curve and performance between ECU from KTM 625 SMC vs KTM 625 SXC ?

I have got a feeling that ECU from SXC Enduro could be better for my off-road riding , but maybe there is somebody in the Forum with experience in that matter ?
    Which one is better to choose ? ( any part number , please ? )

Is there really a difference after swapping ECU from Adventure model to ECU taken from KTM 625 ?

Is it any danger for the Engine if I will still use ECU form my Adventure model after replacing my carburetor from Mikuni BST40 to Keihin FCR41MX ?
  5. Antti

Antti Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    luk.mxtr likes this.
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haven’t put a pic of mine here in ages either. Running after the full engine rebuild but still not quite there for staying running at stop signs etc. Still super happy to be riding it. Went out today for a short scoot ‘cause some guy on another forum claimed it was the birthday of the first motorcycle ride by Daimler & Maybach. Probably a myth but a good excuse to get out in 5°C weather in the land of the best fish in the world.
    [​IMG]
    joe cool, luk.mxtr and Kaalsb like this.
  7. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    I put a FCR MX 39mm on my 2005 Adventure.

I fitted an ECU from a 05 SXC some while after fitting the FCR-MX and did not notice any change.
    NitroAcres likes this.
  8. luk.mxtr

luk.mxtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is quite interesting option , but to be honest I don't want really go so deeply in to tuning .
    Thanks for a link anyway !:beer
    Antti likes this.
  9. luk.mxtr

luk.mxtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am glad you finished your bike and you can enjoy riding again !

Fuck ! I am a bit jealous to be honest ! Ha ha ha :D:D:D

My bike is still into pieces ...but I will do all my best to start riding again around March . :1drink
    skibum69 likes this.
  10. luk.mxtr

luk.mxtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info dnrobertson :thumb

When I will finish restoring and upgrading my bike I will arrange Dyno Test to check air mixture ratio and be sure that I will don't get any ...detonation surprise !

Anyway I still will be grateful if others will say anything about their experience after install to KTM 640 Adventure an ECU taken from KTM 625 SXC
  11. dnrobertson

Oddometer:
    I should have said that my bike has never been near a dyno.

So no change was detected by my BUTT dyno. :lol3

I know the ????? (place favourite verb here) MotoLab suggested the ECU from an FCR equipped machine be fitted and he did a lot of dyno work on these motors.

Derek also used to say don't tune by the AFR ratio. (And he didn't have much time for AFR sensors either).
  12. Elderber

Elderber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    08D40CCF-9344-4AA7-B567-98E7DF335B90.jpeg 9CF6776F-FE20-4CCA-B6AD-5E21095DBC3D.jpeg 08D40CCF-9344-4AA7-B567-98E7DF335B90.jpeg Looking for some help with an oil leak... I used he search function, but didn’t find the answer I was looking for.

So... before leaving work on Friday I noticed quite a bit of oil sprayed down the right (drivetrain) side of my bike. My swing arm, saddle bags, and generally the whole side from the swing arm pivot back was covered with a nice spray of oil. I had plenty of oil showing in the sight glass so I headed for home. I stopped after 10 miles at a well lit gas station and saw what looked like even more oil sprayed on the bike. I called it good at that point and trailered her home the next morning.

Upon getting her home and taking a closer look, this is what I have found..
    I am still showing oil to the halfway mark in the sight glass on a cold engine. The front sprocket looks clean and dry (so counter-sprocket seal appears to be good. The plug is not fouled. The air box has had some oil in there but the filter was not saturated, and there was no standing/wet oil in the box. The front and bottom of the bike (frame oil filter, skid plate etc) are all dry with no sign of a major leak.

After pulling off the tank I found the top of the carb and all of the surrounding wires/lines are all covered with oil. There is one obvious stub that comes out of the frame that looks like it should be hooked to a line that vents to the air box or the canister that is under the rear fender There is a line that comes off the rear of the under fender canister that is unconnected to anything. There is also what looks like a spot for a line (drain?) coming off the the right side of the air box at its lowest point

Before I go any further I figured I’d ask the brain trust here. I’ve included some pics that will hopefully help show what I'm seeing. It seems to my untrained eye that maybe I lost a hose that connected the stub (pic with red arrow) coming out of the frame (at the y under the tank) that should be connecting to the Airbox/canister thingy and instead is spraying oil onto the carb-right side of the motor?

Another thing... When I pulled the plug the part that attaches to the plug pulled right off of the wire. I’m guessing that is not normal? 08D40CCF-9344-4AA7-B567-98E7DF335B90.jpeg 9CF6776F-FE20-4CCA-B6AD-5E21095DBC3D.jpeg FECA30A4-FB53-42DD-9536-435ECF75B375.jpeg 27CA4941-06D0-4582-9A88-F5D44D9EC913.jpeg

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
  13. dnrobertson

Oddometer:
    There should be a hose connecting the frame "stub" to the airbox. The connection point is on the airbox near the rear brake master cylinder. By the looks of one of your pictures there is already a black hose connected to it, so maybe that hose just disconnected itself from the frame "stub". Usually, the hose is held on the frame stub by a wire clip.

The spark plug cap (that you are holding) can simply be screwed back onto the wire. You might want to cut 10mm off the wire before screwing the cap back on to ensure a good connection.
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Derek said that "detonation" is when the combustion of fuel is not a controlled event. Hot spots within the combustion chamber can cause the fuel to combust differently than engineered - localized explosions rather than the flame-front you may have heard or read about - which causes damage. The symptom of this is a change in NOx in exhaust. Not sure if it changes the pressure - maybe?
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Yes, in my case a different exhaust can and maybe the intake changes were enough to destabilize combustion.
  16. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I'll add that restricting exhaust more than stock could be a problem.
    2 SPOT likes this.
  17. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still have a bit of an oil leak, at first I thought it was the spin on fllter but I checked that so it's something else up high there I think.
  18. dnrobertson

Oddometer:
    Maybe the plug in the frame? Where you put the oil when changing the oil. I've had issues in the past at that point.
  19. Elderber

Elderber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    B7FD7EA5-D375-42BB-9D60-AC6411C44704.jpeg BA286C9D-CD8E-49BD-96F9-920B1083C8E1.jpeg
    I took another look tonight and am still a bit flummoxed. There are no lose hoses that would connect the frame stub to the airbox. In some pictures I’ve found online there looks to be a clear length of hose that vents the frame stub. On my airbox I have the forward most stub that is connected to the EVAP line and a lower (drain?) that has a two inch piece of clear tubing coming off of it (see picture). Did I somehow lose a foot and a half piece of tubing that connected these two (frame stub and lower Airbox drain)? Please forgive my ignorance, and thank again for the help!
  20. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look on the right side of the air box, just below the top about an inch back..sort of behind the sub-frame rail..there is a stub sticking out...that is where the Frame Breather hose connects.
    Elderber likes this.