KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. rojomurp

rojomurp n00b

Oddometer:
    Been lurking for a few months. I bought my 640 last spring when I was recovering from pneumonia and the doc told me could not engage in my normal leisure activities, climbing and mtn biking. I didn't really know what I was buying and was mostly planning to use it as a daily ride to work. Then I took it off road in the national forest by my house. Now I'm in deep and can't get enough of exploring fire roads and single track around Santa Fe on this beast. I'm in the midst of disassembling the bike and taking care of any issues I find. Many thanks to all who have contributed technical info on the 640! Elk Mtn1.jpg Elk Mtn2.jpg
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    See if you can find a Holan replacement for your Touratech headlight protector, they go yellow and cut a lot of the already poor stock light. Plus the Hole looks badass.:lol3

shitty
    [​IMG]
    more better
    [​IMG]
    And welcome to the 640 club.
    rojomurp and endurists like this.
  3. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi friends,

I'm busy taking off the rocker cover , to do water pump and inspect cam follower bearings.
    Post #1 of the "Re-sealing the KTM LC4 Rocker cover" mentions:
    "It’s not necessary to de-tension the cam chain tensioner, unless you intend to remove and reseal the water pump as well"

I reckoned the details of the "de-tension"ing would be found in the water pump guide
    Rebuilding the LC4 Mechanical Water Pump - a Guide
    but that just refers back to the "Re-sealing ...rocker cover" guide.

Searching around I couldn't find anything.:hmmmmm

Where can I find some details, or can someone spare me a few thoughts/pointers?

Thanks!:thumb
  4. Marekp

Marekp n00b

Oddometer:
    Probably IT means removing chain tensioner
    timeOday and NitroAcres like this.
  5. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi 640 family,

I have some questions working on my '06 - but I'm ofter unsure where to ask / which is the acceptable thread to post questions to?

- The related thread (ex: a rocker cover question in the "Re-sealing the ...cover" thread) - but I'm not sure people actually follow the lesser threads...
    - LC4 Thread Index - I imagine would be to ask about stuff in the index
    - KTM 640 Adventure Owners, sign in please - maybe here?

--
    Anyways, I've posted a question re how to measure rocker arm axial movement... :clap
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    This thread is a common one to ask tech questions, I've been doing it for years. I try to keep my tech questions on this thread and not the thread index but you are correct to post there if the question concerns the index.
    twqqis likes this.
  7. tomtomf

tomtomf n00b

Oddometer:
    pulled my engine to do some maintenace/checks on it during winter time.
    as there are many reports of failing cam rollers i decided to perform some preventative actions and replace these since my '98 adventure got about 35.000km on the clock.
    now they (KTM) sent me this:

IMG_20191115_234101.jpg

now when these rollers are new, i guess they should not be corroded all over the place right?
    in the mean time i've spoken to a guy at the KTM headquaters about the common cam roller issues.
    He said that they did change the supplier of these parts after the first few model years and that's when these problems occured.
    Ain't got no proof of anything though but it got me thinking if i would replace perfectly fine and high quality parts with some low end crap.

Now the crucial question.. Are there certain model years which are prone to cam follower failure?
  8. Antti

Antti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one follower bearing in original bag and it doesn’t look corroded at all. I think I bought it last spring.
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    A question for the collective.

The Kokusan ignition modules for these motors have a range of part numbers when I look them up online, depending which model bike the motor is fitted to, the ignition module has a different part number. This makes sense when running different carbs on essentially the same engine to get different effects.

But when I look at my module, and also another person looking to determine which module they have, the last 3 numbers, which designate the model, are simply all zeros. :scratch

Example. I'm trying to buy the module for a pumper carby, as on the SXC. Reading the numbers physically written on the module, I get 58639031000.
    Type that into an online parts finder and you get these returned :

586 390 31 100 660 SMC '05

586 390 31 300 625 SXC '06

586 390 31 400 625 SMC '06

586 390 31 500 640 ADV/Enduro '06

586 390 31 600 640 Duke/SM '06

The numbers physically on the module are insufficient to identify what it is supposed to fit. :dunno

Any ideas? :ear

Oh, and Hi Meaty.:wave
    meat popsicle likes this.
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Give Derek a call at Motolabs and he'll get you sorted for carb parts.
    Grynch and GodSilla like this.
  11. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but carby parts are not the issue.

The problem is trying to identify exactly which Kokusan ignition module I am looking at from the part number on the module.
    The number doesn't match what is in the parts fiche, it is a generic number for 5 different Kokusan ignition modules.
  12. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any other numbers on your module, aside for the KTM #?

There is some info here: (along with some additional links)

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-660-rallye-questions-thread.915778/page-4
    GodSilla likes this.
  13. Antti

Antti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2A491D5C-067D-45FC-A11D-8EE63F0F7975.jpeg Got this beaty for my 640. HiFlow engine is in rebuild and this will be fuelling it when I’ll get that into frame. Last LC4 wich I build had FCR, so I’m curious about how Mikuni works. My 660 Rallye has Dellorto from factory.
  14. tomtomf

tomtomf n00b

Oddometer:
    nice one, looks perfect!
    my '98 640 still got the original Dellorto PHM40. I wonder how big the improvement really is when fitting something like this or a Keihin?
    I just love the simplicity of the Dello though.
  15. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    TM40? I also have one of those on the shelf waiting for a rainy weekend to install. We should compare notes as we get them set up. My TM40 is all but new, was set up for an XR650R. Engine is a 2003 Hi-Flow with an SXC muffler. I figure the jetting should be in the ballpark, but I'm a n00b to setting up a flatslide so I'll likely have some learning to do.

I've ridden an FCR equipped 625SXC back to back with my BST40 640E & the flat slide definitely does give some more snap vs the CV carb. It's not night & day, but it is nice to have. (that 625 was bone stock though) My BST40 is getting a bit worn after 150K km so was coming due for replacement anyway when this TM40 came up for a good price locally.

Cheers
    Clint
  16. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Hey down there!

This vendor reports "Superseded by 58639031600": https://www.ktm-parts.com/58639031000.html

Another vendor concurs:
    upload_2019-11-19_13-8-11.png
    twqqis likes this.
  17. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Hi Meaty :wave,
    I just got of the phone to the local parts guru and he explained fair a bit of it to me.
    The original ignitions are no longer available anyway, so if I needed to buy a new one I'd be obliged to obtain the part above (thanks for that too). The "new" one does many models by the look of it.
    There's a little bit more to it, but I don't want to go into it in here 'cos I'll probably get something backwards.
    So it seems I will just have to fit a pumper carb with the ignition I already have fitted.
    Thanks all for contributing.:thumb
    meat popsicle likes this.
  18. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just don't set the carb up on the lean side and you will be fine..IME
    GodSilla likes this.
  19. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I've read most of the posts here, but I'm still a bit confused re rocker arm axial play.

As stated by other's, the measurement should be done with the cover bolts in place that go through the rocker shaft (spark plug side).

If I then pull on the rocker axially towards the spark plug side:
    [​IMG]

the shaft also moves axially until the bolt stops it.
    At this point I have gaps:
    - intake: 0.63mm (0.025")
    - exhaust: 0.55mm (.022)

If I push axially on the shafts (on the part visible on the outside of the case near the sparkplug side) away from the spark plug side
    [​IMG]
    until the play in the bolts allow no more, then my gaps are zero (cant fit any feeler)

I get the impression I'm missing something completely, as this doesn't correspond with previous comment/conversation on here? :dunno (The condition of the rest of the internals are very good, cam roller bearings look new, water pump good... bike at 38k km , so I doubt this is due to bad maintenance or hours on the engine - unless a previous mechanic messed up something)

(Link) This video shows what I'm talking about. (I'll post photos a bit later)

Any advice much appreciated

EDIT
    I stumbled upon these series of posts:
    @clintnz :
    "Be aware the amount of axial play of the rocker on the rocker shaft can also be influenced by the shaft's position in the cam cover - the shafts can move a little side-side when the cover is unbolted so check they're sitting right before you re-shim. It also pays to check that the play is still ok before you tighten the cam cover back on - just give em a wiggle through the inspection ports."

@Gerst : Be sure to check the axial play with the cover installed. In my experience, when you torque the bolts it changes the axial play.

@motolab
    "Check rocker end play with rocker cover installed, as right rocker box bolt location ultimately determines rocker shaft location. The shafts migrate to the right during operation, so use the rocker arms to push the shafts to the right before tightening the bolts & checking play."

----
    Ok, so that would mean I'd have to take out the decompression shaft?
    [​IMG]

repost from re-sealing-the-ktm-lc4-rocker cover
    GodSilla likes this.
  20. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    2002 in Acapulco Mexico. IMG_20191120_121232.jpg