KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang...

Being over here in the US it’s difficult to imagine just how bad you guys have it over there halfway across the world. I’m so sorry to hear about all your bikes and spares. All I can say is hang in there GodSilla!
    GodSilla likes this.
  2. husqvarna

husqvarna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am really sorry to hear of your misfortune (and that of many others in Oz). I hope you can overcome and rebuild. I would be gutted as I lost a family home to fire and a venerable Husky 360 but all back in the day yet it still hurts.
    GodSilla likes this.
  3. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    I'll watch for you when I'm up there, I'm looking for a 640 yous looks good.
    Moose465 likes this.
  4. Viktor.J

Viktor.J Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, me and plenty of people have been trying to find one the last years without any luck. I think the best and only way is to find one that can manufacture one, using the stock as a mold. Of course that would cost :)
    If I remember correctly the fairing was a hell to produce, thats why other companies that still does the tank guards dont manufactor the fairing.
    But labour is pretty cheap on Hungary, maybe you have some good craftmens there ?
    Cimpi likes this.
  5. Cimpi

Cimpi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have few idea :) I will inform you if I found a solution.
    Viktor.J likes this.
  6. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I think I know where there is a mold for that front fairing. Would that be any help?

I could probably get a photo of the mold next to a standard bike wearing a standard front mask for reference. It will have to wait for a couple of days though, the friend I gave it to (inmate @ADpete) is in a high-alert-be-prepared-to-evacuate fire zone for the next couple of days, it's pretty serious stuff.
  7. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    good luck to you and him
    GodSilla likes this.
  8. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    It is relentless. This fire season is beginning to feel permanent, but we will literally run out of forests to burn soon at this rate.
  9. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    @tileman contacted me a little over a year ago to see if I was interested in buying all of the RRE molds. I don’t know the first thing on how to make the final product, but now I’m kinda kicking myself for not grabbing them (I suppose I could always learn how). I’m located in the rainy side of Oregon, so the chances of them being lost in a fire is slim to none. I was also hoping that someone in Australia would start up the product line again because of the awesome dollar exchange rate we get here in the US! If I knew that RRE was closing shop, I probably would have bought two more of his fairings (and sets of his tank guards too) as spares.
  10. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I got the molds I have from @tileman, the tank guard ones as well. :clap It sounds like the one you are after.
    I can post it over to you (at your cost) if you like. The other option is to get in @ADpete's ear and get him to make some up. He needs to learn carbon fibre, I can just tell.
    I will discuss it with ADpete and see what we think is the best idea, sending them off or making the stuff here.
    Viktor.J and Whodatschrome like this.
  11. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Don't send them offshore Gods!! :lol3 With our exchange rate, we'll never be able to afford to buy one from OS.

Perhaps we can arrange a group buy so somebody would have a minimum quantity to make. Might make it worth ADPete learning.

PS: Sorry to hear about your losses in the recent fires.
    Alborzfrog and Whodatschrome like this.
  12. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I could eve tempted by a windscreen to add a little momentum to the conversation.
  13. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:

That sucks.

Are you able to rebuild?
  14. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some guys I have been welding parts for are building a CarbonFiber airplane.. just from seeing them make parts it is a pain in the ass.. labor & materials extensive.
    nospa21 likes this.
  15. Alborzfrog

Alborzfrog Jamais très loin de nulle part.

Oddometer:
    Count me in if you do a group buy!
  16. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with keeping the molds in Australia. I think it would keep the cost of the final product down for everyone, but if ADpete isn't interested in stepping forward...well, no one here wants us to loose out on the possibility to get a production of fairings and tank guards going again.
  17. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I’d also be interested in a fairing and tank guards to add me to whatever informal list y’all are constructing haha.
  18. Viktor.J

Viktor.J Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im also upp for the front with high fairing.

But as mentioned. It´s a expensive process, it "should" be done in a country where the labour is pretty cheap :)
  19. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Considering for what all you got, they WERE cheap when they were still available!
    NitroAcres likes this.
  20. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...and it might be worth starting a new thread that specifically is dedicated to the 640 carbon fiber parts? That way it doesn't get lost in these pages here, and it will be easier to find in the future.
    fraser and Viktor.J like this.