KTM 690 Adventure EVO2 Kit

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Frontwheel21, Oct 7, 2012.

1. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I've found lots of variance... I averaged about 60 mpg on my 2008 thru 29K miles.
    My 2011 averages about 45. I've sometimes wondered if there was a link between the 2008's incredible mileage and horrible reliability but was too embarrassed asking the question would make me look like an idiot! :)
  2. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    A question I'm sure is covered here but didn't find it in the first or last 3 pages...

How do you fill up the EVO 2 tanks? Do you fill up 3 separate tanks at the gas station? Is it possible to eliminate filling the rear tank directly by filling it thru the EVO tanks? I'd love to be able to do that as on trips I often have the rear gas cap covered and it takes a minute or to free it and another minute or two to button everything back up...
  3. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, you have to fill all three separately. The lines that feed into the rear tank are too small to be able to fill at the same time
    Scott_PDX likes this.
  4. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Small (and possibly redundant) public service announcement: EVO 2 Advenrure tank + fairing set weigh in.

Always wondered what the true weight with all three tanks full of fuel was. I commute to the office on my 690, and we have a commercial scale in the warehouse. Finally got around to doing it.

So the config items affecting the weigh in are as follows:

EVO 1 headlight and mask.
    EVO 2 tanks full of fuel.
    OEM tank full.
    GPS (Garmin 60csx).
    Old iPhone 4s as Rally Blitz odometer.
    Wolfman Enduro tank bag (only reg papers inside).
    Touratech tail rack.
    Kriega 10 as tool bag - basic tools only.
    Mitas E09 Dakar with HD tubes but no rim lock.
    Badlands skid plate.
    Adventure Spec case savers.

So the magic number: 386lb / 175 Kg.

Hope that helps someone out there.

CM
    JustBob, ErGuss, Mikemm and 1 other person like this.
  5. Molonlabemike

Molonlabemike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my RR kit installed over the weekend. Overall I am really happy with the way it turned out and love how my bike now goes down the road. Looking forward to it's true test in Parhump in the next few weeks.

One downside for me was when I first got my kit I noticed that UPS punted my front fairing and gave it a nice nick. Normally I wouldn't care but for the price of the kit I want it right to start.
    [​IMG]

E-mailed Liz on Saturday and I had a new fairing with no questions asked shipped on Monday. Very happy with the customer service on RR end.
    [​IMG]

I will say there wasn't much direction on how to don the brake lines. It looks like ill need to replace my front brake line as it is now too long. I have it kinda cheesely fitted in the front of the fairing but I don't want to change it snagging.
  6. spaceman_spiff

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  7. Molonlabemike

Oddometer:

I routed mine the same but being the 14-15 having ABS the brake line has an extra 9-12in of brake line when routed as such. I have a great local guy who I will run the bike down to and have him make me up on.
  8. spaceman_spiff

Oddometer:
    Oh weird. I didn't realize they were different. Still haven't seen any of the newer 690's in person
  9. Molonlabemike

Oddometer:

Yup, it makes routing the stock cable very difficult. With a new cable I will be able to make it run just like yours.
  10. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    I came to 177kg with essentially the same stuff other than an ICO and F2R roadbook and a tube that was hidden in the tower.
    ErGuss likes this.
  11. NVTS

NVTS Arrivee Secteur Special Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the front line of my '15 routed, rallye style. Because the line runs up from the caliper and directly to the ABS pump(not the MC) the extra 9" hose needs to be secured. I removed the sheathing and bolted the line to the lower triple with an electrical "P" clamp. The excess hose was looped and secured to the right side of the housing/fork with a combination of random materials. I have the HDB rallye light setup so my line had to go under: no way of going over without wreaking havoc on the tower/instrument/GPS every time the forks are at extension.
    NVTS
    Scott_PDX likes this.
  12. carlosbarrios

carlosbarrios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too have the front brake line routed rally style. From the caliper it goes up to the fork cover clip, and then bows out to the side. I did notice that my speedo cable got damaged at the clip from all the bending when the suspension is working. I'll have to rethink the lower mount. Has anyone else had this issue?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    I run that rally routing also on my 2014 for the past 5000 miles (with an extra loop around my blinker). You'd think it' would catch on stuff, but in practice it hasn't for me. It doesn't stick out any further that than the shrouds/radiator. If you'd catch something with the brake line, you'd have caught it on the radiator too. The big advantage for me is I don't have that damn brake line running right over my speedometer and getting in the way of the buttons up there etc. I am concerned about the tight loops it has etc., and cracking the casing etc, but watch it closely and so far has not been a problem.
  14. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    I had the same problem with the speedo wiring after changing to "rally style" routing. I fixed the wire, and changed the routing a bit-straighter now. Also opened up the clamp on the fork cover to allow for movement on the wire side. No problems since.

[​IMG]
  15. carlosbarrios

carlosbarrios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No issues with anything catching. It all sits inside the fairing, so like mentioned above, if anything DOES catch, it'll be going into the radiator.

Cool, so it wasn't an issue splicing in there and fixing the wiring? I didn't want to spend $70 on a new cable. I was unsure of the connector, the parts diagram has one that looks nothing like mine.
  16. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    Not a problem to repair.
  17. werner747

werner747 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I installed the Evo 2 Tanks earlier this year. I followed instructions meticulously, and did everything to the letter.
    I have also experience the tank overflowing / bubbling / not feeding to rear tank problems, as some others have experienced.

On a previous trip to Botswana, after a very rough sand section, at the hottest time of the day, when I stopped, I noticed both front evo 2 tanks were full, and streaming fuel out of the overflow pipes on the caps. So much that I lost about a litre. The only explanation that I have for that occurrence, that makes sense to me, is that the pressure built up, from all the shaking, and heat, The main tanks vent must have been blocked somehow, and the pressure pushed fuel from the main tank to the front evo tanks.

The past weekend, I also had the problem where the front tanks would not drain to the main tank, so "I ran out of fuel" about ten times. I needed to stop, open evo tank cap, and blow into the tank, to get fuel to transfer.

I have read the threads on here relating to this.
    I have checked that my vent tubes are clear and does not get pinched by the seat when weight is applied.
    I have checked the tubes from the evo tanks to the main tank, and nothing gets pinched.

So, for extra piece of mind, I am now replacing the standard rubber tubing, with steel braided fuel line, and then also, I don't think the standard main tank vent, as in this picture:
    [​IMG]
    provides enough venting, as it also has a one way valve in there. So plan is to drill out that vent, and remove one way valve.

But, I have been thinking about not connecting the evo tanks to the main tank, via the adapter at the bottom of the main tank, but, rather connect it to the main tank vent, once I have drilled it out.
    That way, a vacuum is formed, and the front evo tanks gets sucked dry before any fuel is used from the main tank, that will suit me fine.
    I have, on my previous X-challenge, run my fuel system that way, and had no problems in 10 000 + KM.

Any reason that anyone can provide, why this is a bad idea? [​IMG]

Any advice is welcome...
  18. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Threads. Not as in, forum, but EVO2 tank threads?

Mine were rough to begin with, but steadily got worse to the point they're virtually unusable - almost a minute each side to finagle / finesse them on. The EVO 1s were nasty from day one, but didn't get worse like these, which is odd.

What have you folks done to make them work? Would a metal cap help? My tanks threads have some chunks of black embedded in them - seems like they're chewing up the threads in the cap, or maybe vice versa. I try not to ham-handedly ram them on - I finesse them on as best as possible - but it's just plain ridiculous how hard it is to get them on.

Ideally a metal filler (like the CJ Designs) would be best, but of course the EVO2's contours preclude that, as far as I can tell. I'm ok springing for a billet cap .... I just want to solve this problem.

thanks,

cm
  19. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    CM - if you're having problems have you tried contacting Rally Raid?
  20. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Hi Scutty,

Yes, indeed I have, and out of respect for them, I'll leave the status of my case with them out of the public discourse for now.

In raising this here, I'm looking to see

1) how common this may/may not be at present. It came up here a while back, but I also heard about some improvements to the threads in more recent batches. Was seeing if indeed that was the case.
    2) could the situation be improved with the billet caps

thanks,

cm