1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KTM 690 Adventure EVO2 Kit

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Frontwheel21, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Not a problem for me, but I added the CJ Designs filler cap, removed the emissions and vent to the atmosphere with no check ball.
  2. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Drill the check valve.
  3. werner747

werner747 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had issues of my front tanks overflowing in extreme heat, or after very rough technical sections. Drilled out the ball valve, and no further issues....
  4. TheRobG

TheRobG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Drilled mine out as well. Just start with a drill bit slightly larger than the hole and work your way up until the ball rolls out. The ball is pretty hard material so if you drill in until the drill stops, you have hit it and can stop and check.

I also went a little overboard and vented all my tanks through a couple of oiled-foam breather filters. Adds some complexity to the whole thing but as much trouble as people have had with dirt in the tanks, I figured it can't hurt. Using clear ventlines also lets me check on how the things are breathing and watch for water/fuel in the lines after a wet tip-over. I still have slop check valves right after the caps as well.
  5. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    I just finished doing the Evo 2 Twin Headlight Upgrade to Mala B's KTM 690. The quality on this is top notch, and a step (or two) up from the old style twin headlight it replaces. I didn't take any pics as it was rather straight forward, but I am very happy we made the swap. We originally ordered it as we could not get all the bulbs working in the old one due to a broken wire with some sort of resistor on it..., or something? We had originally gotten the complete Evo 2 kit used, and Spaceman Spiff had obviously put a few miles on it. The headlight assembly always seemed like the one component that did not hold up as well as the rest of the kit. The new style seems like it will be MUCH more durable in the long run!

[​IMG]
  6. BucketHead

BucketHead Man-Camel

Oddometer:
    Hi all-

I was quite disappointed with the halogen lighting that comes in the Evo 2. Unfortunately, RR wasn't very helpful in providing options and I didn't find much on the web, so I have worked out a solution that works well.

The low beam stock bulb is an H1 halogen (55w, 1450 lumen). The H1 LED from Cyclops is a direct replacement, boosts up to 2800 lumen and draws only 20w. Current price $65

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/H1-LED-Headlight-Bulb-2800-lumen_p_133.html

The high beam on mine was an H3 (55w, 1450 lumen, and not an H5 as shown on RR's website). I slightly bored out the hole in the lens that the bulb slides through, filed down the mounts and removed the low beam deflectors on the Cyclops H4 LED (3800 lumen, 40w) and it fits perfectly. Current price $65.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

I also adapted the wiring harness so that the low beam is now on with the high beam when the high beam is selected.

Stock low beam: 1450 lumen, 55w
    New low beam: 2800 lumen, 20w
    Stock high beam: 1450 lumen, 55w
    New high beam: 6600 lumen, 60w
    Total cost $130/1 hour

If anybody wants more details, shoot me a PM.

And a footnote: Bobby and Daryl at Cyclops were really great - was a pleasure dealing with them, and I would definitely recommend Cyclops for both their service and the quality of their products.

Cheers,
    Matthew
    640 Armageddon and WillDieSoon like this.
  7. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
  8. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    We made some small mods to the fairing on the wife's 690 today, quite pleased with the result. These side extensions were pennytech, made from a garbage can and 3m double sided tape. Air flow improvement for the wife was surprisingly good. More details are HERE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. cometeus

cometeus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys and galls! ^^

A little information update:

After riding with my self solution ( as a/m: welding the punctured RR Evo 2 tank) about 4000 miles i have to say that the selfmade welding is still solid. I also ordered after the crash the ugly crashbars from RR which are fine protecting the edges of the tanks. They already had taken a few seriouse hits which proved theyr stability.They bent a bit but still protect the tanks.

So, if anyone damage his tanks, try to weld them as i did (if the damage is not a total one). It seems lasting!
    Thanks again to the advriders which brought in the idea!:clap
  10. cometeus

cometeus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few weeks ago i had a "slide out" with my black beauty with installed RR Evo 2 tanks and RR engine protector:

[​IMG]

But as you can see the Rally Raid engine protector holds up well. In this case, without a protector, the expensive RR Tank would be destroyed. So i recomend everybody who had installed an RR Tank on the 690ty, to invest the money in thos Protectors.

For more infos about the crash, the damage and the repair (with russian methodes^^) have a look at the link in my signatur.
    mrpincher likes this.
  11. Ed999

Ed999 n00b

Oddometer:
  12. mrpincher

mrpincher Life is one long day Supporter

Oddometer:
    They work.:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup My crash bars look identical and I'm damn glad to have em.
  13. leighd

leighd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, does anyone have any detailed photos of their wiring routing around the dash area? i seem to have a bit of a mess and want to tidy it up.

In particular i would like to see how the main cable runs to the speedo computer. I wasn't really happy with mine.

Thanks!
  14. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

High Beam

[​IMG]

Low Beam
    [​IMG]

Ignition on (no low or high beam on)
    [​IMG]
    Spyrious and josip01 like this.
  15. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    I didn't know where to post this.But i'm looking for a used 690 enduro r,and so i'm considering the rally kit too.Has anyone had experience with Alberto Dottori's Kit?Thanks
  16. leighd

leighd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone had experience with 2" Rox risers with the EVO2 fairing? does it work with the cables or are they too short?
  17. Kikemon

Kikemon Buffoon Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like RR doesn't have tanks for the 690 listed on their web site anymore.
  18. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    They are currently out of stock as the current production run is all allocated to outstanding orders.

Jx
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  19. CalGSer

CalGSer Traveling dude

Oddometer:
  20. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    There is always the KIT690/701

[​IMG]
    josip01, luloadventure and Spyrious like this.