1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KTM 690 Adventure EVO2 Kit

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Frontwheel21, Oct 7, 2012.

1. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK. What has me even more confused is that for the RR bars it says: "These bars will not work in conjunction with the EVO2 Tanks"
  2. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi JustBob - to clarify, if you read the description of part RRP725 currently on the Rally-Raid website, you'll see those are manufactured by a 3rd party for the 690 and Husky 701, to be fitted with the stock radiator shrouds etc.

Presumably the version that goes with their EVO2 tanks is out of stock - I would drop Rally-Raid an email and ask if they intend to reintroduce their own version that works with the tanks.

Jenny x
  3. JustBob

Oddometer:
    Thank you Jenny x. I was not aware of the specifics you mention but I have sent an email to RR to see if they have any of these bars. I don't ride aggressively enough to drop my bikes often but you never know. :-)
  4. JustBob

Oddometer:
    I just received this from Liz Mitchinson at RR:

Bob, we used to supply the crash bars for the EVO2 , manufactured by Toys2Go in South Africa, however, we found that bikes fitted with the bars were more likely to suffer tank damage or failure as the bars are mounted through the tank mount, any vibration or direct hit was transferred to the tank, so we stopped selling the bars.

Kind Regards

Liz Mitchinson
    www.cb500xadventure.com
    www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk
    www.lc450dakar.com
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  5. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    To celebrate our Rally Raid Products CB500X Vendors thread reaching a massive 1 MILLION views in just over 4 years, we are giving ADV Rider Inmates the chance to claim 10% discount on all orders, for the next month.

Just email: john@rally-raidproducts.co.uk with your ADV inmate name, before placing your order, and we will reply with a unique Coupon Code for you to use to claim the discount.

This applies to all parts on our website, not just CB500X related items.

Thanks to everyone at ADV Rider for helping this to happen.
  6. Phi1osopher

Phi1osopher metaphysician

Oddometer:
    I'm here reading this thread because my translucent RallyRaid EVO2 tanks (on my 2015 KTM 690 Enduro R) have once again cracked at the lower bolt hole. First the right tank 9 months ago, and now the left, today. I just returned from helping lead a 20 man, 3,000 mile Mexico trip with no crashes or problems...
    My tank seems to have spontaneously cracked today, maybe from the the brutal 105°F Texas heat?
    Anyway, its all but impossible to source individual replacement EVO2 tanks, so I'm shopping for alternatives.
    Having said that, these tanks have about 40,000 hard miles on them, and except when they break, I have been super happy with them! Under real-world Mexico conditions I consistently get about a 180 mile range between fill ups. Maybe 150 miles when going 95mph all day...

Does anyone have a lead on a replacement left translucent EVO2 tank? THANKS!
  7. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have a friend who has an extra tank. I just emailed him for what side it is. Is RallyRaid in UK out of replacements. They or use to sell replacement for $125 ea as I remember.
  8. UncleTyrone

UncleTyrone Adventurer

Oddometer:

You can buy replacement tanks form Rally Raid direct on the UK website. http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk...ure-fairing-kit-ktm-690-enduro?product_id=424
  9. BCBelstaff

BCBelstaff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone had issue with cracking in their rally raid aluminum tower frame ? I've got less then 7000km on my kit and I noticed some rattling on my last ride. Much to my dismay my control tower frame has about 4 crackes throughout...... tried my best to jb weld it back in place to get me home but this is very disappointing... 20190708_091039.jpg 20190708_083746.jpg
  10. theofam

theofam Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I emailed RR a couple weeks ago and haven't heard back regarding tank-only graphics (I don't need the full fairing graphics kit). They're probably busy with newer developments.

So, does anyone have a template for Evo2 tanks/shrouds only? If so, please PM me.

Thanks!
  11. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dont think I have exactly what you are looking for in a template, but may have a starting point. I have been using this in a product called inkscape in an attempt to create a layout at least. I think there is still a few steps to go to get it to work in a cutter, etc.
  12. theofam

Oddometer:
    ^Columbus, thanks for the file. It’s only saving as a photo file. Any chance you can PM me the file in the Inkscape format?
  13. theofam

Oddometer:
    First, thanks to many of you for posting install pics of the RR Evo2 tanks. They really helped!

I couldn't find anything online regarding stuck or blocked RR petcocks, so, here goes.

Got the 690 all buttoned up:

690 RR Tanks.jpg

But, no fuel was flowing from either RR tank. I feared the worst, that I might have to pull the fuel pump and re-drill the pump body. But, I realized I hadn't checked either petcock for fuel flow before completing the install. So, I started there, and, sure enough, neither was working. So, off they came:

Petcock Removal.jpg

The fuel filter unscrews:

Petcock Filter.jpg

Here is the disassembly (right to left) with tools needed.

Petcock Tools.jpg

Although needle nose pliers worked on the first petcock, they slipped off the second one and botched the e-clip lip of what I'm calling the "rubber bullet" a bit. A standard set of pliers worked better. Here's the internal, rubber bullet. It was seized inside each petcock:

Petcock Rubber Bullet.jpg

I used a pick and cotton swab to clean out the corrosion inside the petcock:

Petcock Pic,.jpg

Petcock Swab.jpg

Right or wrong, time will tell, I figured the rubber bullet needed some motivation to slide inside the petcock body. So, I sprayed silicone lube on it (you can get it at Lowe's).

Silicone Lube.jpg

Reassembled, and, although the 690 looks identical to the original photo, the petcocks now work as expected! All told, probably 10-minutes per tank. And, don't worry, orange fenders have been ordered!

690 RR Tanks.jpg
  14. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    back in France but Soul still in North America
    Had the side bracket broken, as your (but neatlier) and I noticed it before other damage happen (road book was shaking with noise during Hard Alpi Tour 2019)
    I just make a double patch bolted on the nav tower side (both side, to prevent it happens again) and so far so good
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bike is a '09, lot of rocky trails in my area
  15. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    My 690 RRP EVO1 becomes now EVO2
    Parts received last week, nice quality
    Nav tower already in place (PO) so preety easy to mount.
    However I have an issue with side fairing not lining up correctly.
    [​IMG]
    I check the installation manual, did some change on the patches I built this summer (look at previous message) as they were interfering with lower adjustment.
    However, to get the side parts of the nav tower being at the lowest position I have to unbolt the center bracket and lower it way out of position.
    [​IMG]
    Am I missing something, another adjustment I not aware about ?
  16. Alexandrur

Alexandrur n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Does anyone have experience with mounting a Givi S250 tool box under the Rally Raid racks?
    For me the tool tube seems not big enough.
    Cheers,
    Alex
  17. theofam

Oddometer:
    I need to fix a crack in a tank. RR hasn't responded, so I'll ask here. Anyone know if the tanks are polyethylene (PE) or high-density polyethylene (HDPE)? I want to buy the right welding repair sticks.
  18. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    I asked the question about EVO1 tank and I've been answered LDPE. the result was not as efficient as expected and new LDPE looked different than the old.
    Best luck, IMO, would be to get some material from the tank itself, scraping the tanks edges with a blade.
  19. theofam

Oddometer:
    @rinho, thanks for the response. I'll trust RR stayed with the same LDPE between EVO1 and EVO2. I'll take your advice and see if I can sacrifice some of the existing tank for the repair.
  20. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    tanks are roto-molded, I guess edges are thick enough to act as donor.
    Inner faces edges would be my first choice
    theofam likes this.