KTM 690 Adventure (re)build

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mrwwwhite, Oct 12, 2014.

1. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    Happy as a pig in mud Excellent kit With Excellent service.

[​IMG]
  2. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    More pics veetwo..
  3. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
  4. Iubez

Iubez Bile vandalizer

Oddometer:
    @veetwo _tls

hey there! I noticed you have supplied your 690 with a tractive monoshock; would you mind giving me a few impressions of how it behaves? I'm on a 2012 690 enduro, therefore there's no way of modifying stock mono in order to achieve 300mm. I had my eyes on OEM mod of the forks with EXC parts, and buying ex novo a tractive mono..

Moreover, how about the front forks? Were they modified with the stock EXC parts or some other kit?

Glad to hear from you

Cheers!

iubez
  5. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    compared to the OE chalk & cheese
    I have the rally tractive shock soaks up the sharp edge stuff out here in the Australian mallee great as for whoops / jumps yet to test but so far very happy confident with the rear end.

Front have set of WP MXMA 4800 Cone Valve forks serviced to rally spec so far happy but still fine tuning them - front cuts in bit too much in sand - thinking doing same as my 950SE use a 3.25 / 3.50 x 21 C755 HT tire as 950SE front turns sits on top the sand well with this tire.

you see the front cutting in the video clip where i leave & on return enter the bend to run along the fence line it's a patch of sand there few other straight patches bikes fine steering damper keeps it straight quite well through them sections. even with 4wd wheel rut on my last ride 2 days ago i'm able push the front wheel out on top in the center ride through it with back in the rut pushing through that sand straight section at speed with confidence
  6. Iubez

Iubez Bile vandalizer

Oddometer:
    Fantastico, thank you so much!

99% I'm equipping the tractive rallye mono, whilst on the front I'm still working out solutions. thought a good first step still remained upgrading stock forks with EXC spares and get up to 300mm, then the rest.

Big doubt still is: how much is the delta differential of behaviour between the tractive rally shock and the OEM fork which has just gained more stroke? That'll be subject to a lot of testing. I saw mr White upgrading also shims to EXC spec: definitely an interesing solution, still gotta understand if it may go well along with the new mono.

Too many thoughts! Probably official pilots manage to go so fast as they have to care less about upgrading their bikes.. and most of all, repairing them after they've blasted! :jack:jack
  7. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    Jon (Mr White) has also since upgraded to the WP MXMA 4800 Cone Valve forks , We both have the earlier version forks "straight fit up" newer version need to use a different caliper mount bracket (not OE 690R) to get correct clearance/spacing.
    Also add you will need to set to 24 offset on the triples to compensate to the front axle offset compared to the OE fork axle offset
  8. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The factory parts problem may be related to the redesign of the factory rally bikes. Photo is from ktmimages.com from the OiL ibya Rally. New frame, swing arm, fairing. Maybe even tanks. Ground up new ?

[​IMG]
  9. Retro boy

Retro boy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking pretty solidly at one of these kits and I have a question. With the large rear tank option, what is the reason for having either l/h or r/h pipe choice?
  10. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    think really is just personal choice but RHS it does give better access to getting to your side stand with your foot
  11. Retro boy

Retro boy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, makes sense. Your bike looks sensational.
  12. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    cheers what forum was built for try heap others out with questions fun of learning ;) even i'm still learning
  13. Retro boy

Retro boy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are the kits still available? Sent some emails but no reply!
  14. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    As far as i know they are i've PM'd him a heads up
  15. Retro boy

Retro boy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that.
  16. Retro boy

Retro boy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What GPS's are you guys using on your kit 690 Nav towers?
  17. Tafella

Tafella Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garmin Montana
    mrwwwhite likes this.
  18. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine's a Basel as opposed to a KIT690, but I use an iPad mini and my iPhone. I like these devices as opposed to a dedicated GPS unit just because you can pick and choose between apps that best fit your ride needs. And if you can't find one you like, you can write your own. :D

waylongway likes this.
  19. Retro boy

Retro boy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I put my money down on a kit so let the fun begin!!!!!
    mrwwwhite, Tafella and Abersouth like this.
  20. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did Mrwwwhite give you a lead time on delivery and did you go orange or white ?