KTM 690 Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by rade, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    A couple things...
    1. The holes in the fuel pump housing allow the fuel to enter the pump at a higher location. This is because the aux fuel adapter moves the location of the pump lower and potentially starves the pump. The Safari instructions say to do the same thing.
    2. My non-abs kit works/fits very well. I have heated my bike in slow two-track and also ripped down the highway without issue. Perhaps vent the Rade tank back to the main tank rather than atmosphere? The vapor/fuel would transfer and no spill?
    3. The K&N filter did not work. I replaced it with the shorty Twin air and put Overwears on that. I think the bike (2010) needs a remap. The extra air velocity makes it feel lean by my butt-dyno. I placed the air sensor in atmosphere.
    cal08 likes this.
  2. WhereTheHellIsJames?

WhereTheHellIsJames? Brraaaappp!!

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have tried a 1 way vent, a 2 way vent, running my vent all the way to the top of my rally fairing, etc. Believe me when I tell you that I've tried just about everything to make this work, and have not had success.

The tank leaks from the rubber gasket around the L vent, and out the vent hose at the end. I blocked off the original L-vent hole, and used the new cap with vent (which doesn't really fit), and experienced the same leaking at the end of the vent, getting fuel all over me.

Could I route the vent under the bike like some others have done? Sure. However a product that spews fuel out of the bike and on to the soil just isn't satisfactory. The heat, sloshing, and venting all contribute to the issue here, and I don't see that theres a real solution yet.
    Anders- likes this.
  3. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't help you with the leaking grommet at the vent fitting, but the first order of business would be to throw the one-way/check valve type vent in the trash. With the tank directly over the engine, fuel is going to get hot, and it's going to expend, the one way valves just turn that expansion into pressure and it can easily raise the pressure enough to blow off a checked vent hose = gasoline fountain! Not filling to the tippy top is a good idea too.

The shape of the tank definitely makes vent hose routing important, as an improperly routed vent could pour most of the fuel out on very steep descents. The vent for the Rade tank would work best routed as far to the rear of the bike as possible. Try running it along the inside of the right hand upper frame tube, then all the way down below the bottom of the frame, next to the shock. Routed this way, fuel will not come out while headed up hill, and can't come out the vent headed downhill as your vent will always be higher than the highest point on the tank. If you leave the petcock turned on with both tanks full, this routing won't work as the rear tank will try to fill the front tank when going down steep hills (causing it to overflow) and the front tank will try to fill the rear tank when going up steep hills (causing it to overflow.) For the simplest venting, keep the petcock turned off until there is more than enough room in the rear tank to accept the capacity of the front tank... the 690 handles better with more weight near the front wheel anyway, and this way leaves the front tank as a "reserve." Filling the front tank with fuel cell foam will eliminate the last bit of fuel slosh that was able to find its way out the vent.

If you want the simplest plumbing possible, you can ditch the fuel pump adapter and petcock, and let the rear tank siphon the front. To do this, you'll need to route the rear tank's vent hose to the pick up (bottom fitting) of the front tank. As the rear tank's level drops, it will siphon from the front tank, untill the front tank is completely bone dry. The rear tank is effectively vented through the front tank's vent to atmosphere. Fuel slosh and boiling in the front tank becomes a non-issue as the front tank will ALWAYS empty ALL the way, first. I ran mine this way for ~12k trouble free miles, mostly offroad.

I hope that's helpful.
  4. BigWally

BigWally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Helpful is an understatement. You describe what seems to be a simple and complete solution and support it with meaningful miles. Well done!
    If/when I get my tank upgrade kit I may plumb direct as described. Perhaps leave the petcock in place and closed initially (temporary plug) and see how it goes.
    I note Rade's upgrade tank shows only a fuel cap vent (no tank L-vent). However the kit description doesn't include a new/vented fuel cap, which those with original non-vented fuel caps will presumably need (regardless of configuration) - unless there is actually a non-pictured L-vent...or perhaps its just an oversight.
    cal08 likes this.
  5. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Good idea with siphoning, same setup as used with the xtank on the g650x :thumb

Regarding the one-way fuel valve, I guess there must be a few different models out there.
    The one I have allow air to travel in both directions, only blocking expanding fumes from the tank if there's a sudden rush in pressure.
    Sloshing fuel is stopped from escaping as it moves a small ball in the vent. Seems to work well, but need to clock more km before I can say so for sure.

Btw, any progress on the filler setup? Did you go full baja quick-refuel style?
  6. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    No progress on any of the bikes, they're all moth-balled... I've been physically unable to ride for over 2 years now, I just check in on ADV every so often to keep my own morale up.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  7. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thread winner. Really good answer, with minimum fack-around factor. Me likey!
  8. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Ouch. Hope you get well soon :beer
    cal08 likes this.
  9. WhereTheHellIsJames?

Oddometer:
    @The Letter J ... Thanks for the tip here. I'll be spending some time in the shop this weekend... Will report back!
  10. BigWally

Oddometer:
    +1 for thread winner. According to J’s profile he’s a plumber by day. Adds serious weight to his cred as a Rade flow-master .
    Looking forward to James follow up before I take the Rade upgrade plunge.
  11. WhereTheHellIsJames?

Oddometer:
    Follow up: I heard from Rade today, and he said that he'd stand by the new setup 100%. He says that if for some reason it doesn't work out, that is, if it still leaks fuel all over, he'll refund me for the upgrade and the original tank. In my opinion, that's plenty of a guarantee for me. Rade has done everything he can to rectify this, and has committed to making it right for me. So... he's A-okay in my book. I'll report back after installing and testing the new setup, which will most likely be in February sometime.
    cal08 and Anders- like this.
  12. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

:thumb Very curious to hear how the new airbox/filter setup works :-)
  13. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you James for the follow up, your communications, and your contributions. I will send a note to Rade; hopefully he will stand by his solution the same way with the others that are less than satisfied.
  14. BigWally

Oddometer:
    Confirming from Rade that the upgrade will use a vented fuel cap. Avoid an unnecessary hole and potential fail point.
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Well here is my experience. Ordered a RADE tank for 2013 non-ABS. About exactly one month later, many emails an ABS tank kit arrived. After scratching my head for half hour I decided I'll make a non abs front bracket...easy enough. Then another hour reading this thread pages one to sixteen to discover you use the OEM RUBBER flange to connect new air box to injector!
    Now...do I plumb from front outlet to rear vent or do I install the fuel pump gizmo? What's the collective think at this point? I'm under the gun. A tank was ordered a month ago..it came Friday afternoon 22nd Dec. (Wrong kit) I couldn't get to it until today Xmas Eve. International traveler is arriving 27th Dec to pick up his 'expertly prepared expedition quality KTM 690!
    cal08 likes this.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Getting the OEM rubber in is fun. My Mrs Colleen actually came up with the solution. Fold the injector end up and tie it with a zip tie. Stuff it in the new air box from the big square end. Cut zip tie off. Oh then I removed it and cut the little titty off the OEM rubber as it was in the way a bit....then repeat the process. Yes, it comes with vented fuel cap. 04CDE8D4-6705-4505-8055-B7FFD43D6448.jpeg 87C5C6DB-AA8F-4897-8608-0A2C2BF0F0BE.jpeg 094E03AF-879F-4D38-A934-70F099590186.jpeg 3A89B17A-2C31-4380-A06B-D8F76562EC1C.jpeg
    cal08 likes this.
  17. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about just doing the lucky J install via the OEM cap vent to the base of the aux tank described above. It will work and be trouble free, and more important, ready for the international traveler. The more I think about it, the more I like the lucky J install method.
    levain likes this.
  18. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this. I've loved this fuel solution since Rades very first post, but have been gun shy. Your solution, and his new version may push me over the edge. Sounds almost too easy and smart. Even I could handle it:lol3:lol3
    cal08 likes this.
  19. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's fast and easy. Keep us posted. Can you do the rest of us a favour and take lots of pics, from lots of angles. Thanking you in advance.
  20. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tempting. The new filter setup is what I wanted to see from the beginning. Maybe, @sprouty115 wants my Rottweiler intake