KTM 690 Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by rade, Mar 29, 2014.

1. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you thought about the size of the air filter in this set up? Looking at other designs, they use substantially larger filters. How did you establish this size. Does it work well. I would hate to improve capacity but trade performance from a too small filter. Comments welcomed.
  2. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    The problem with this type of fuel tank is the filter protection. First if you live in a fine dust environment you will need to use an oiled foam filter only because the k&n type will pass fine silt. The other problem is the filter collects lots of dust without the ari box to shelter it.

I used a foam pod filter. I was changing my filter at least once a day, sometimes middle of day, when running in Nevada with my home made airbox tank.

Great looking product, professionally made, will add the needed fuel amount, but I think you will find you need to put some type of shield on the sides of the filter to make the service interval more reasonable .
    YMMV
  3. Eureka690

Eureka690 Urban Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think this tank is geared for street bikes. There are already quite a few options for offroad use. This will meet my touring needs quite well.
  4. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    For street this is the bomb! It's perfect for dirt too with the right filter and maintenance interval
  5. resqdoc

resqdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any updates?
  6. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am VERY interested. I like the amount of fuel it will carry, its out of the way and if its relatively cheap then it will be about perfect.
  7. Eureka690

Eureka690 Urban Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FYI, I'm sure about 8 million 690 owners would love to know about your home made tank and that foam pod filter.
    outbacktm likes this.
  8. Dash

Dash n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been away a long time, any updates?
  9. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I second the motion.
  10. Dirtmonkie

Dirtmonkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just checked the web page and it appears the tank is for sale, has anyone tried it out?
  11. rade

rade Adventure enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

sorry for comming back so late, but still :-)

At this moment we use the Unifilter pot and it works ok. About 10 pieces is already riding mainly in Europe. The feedback so far is about:
    - the filler is just the size of the fuel pistol (could be a bit bigger - but that I wont fit there the filler cup under the seat)
    - we were elaborating the overflow tube a bit (but now it seems we have the solution:-)

Here are few pix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I have few pieces in stock :-)
  12. GED2

GED2 Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I've read the full thread, but I cannot figure it out.

How does this tank work in relation with the main tank?

Are they both connected, and kind of making it a bigger stock tank?
    aka: could I always fill up just the main tank,
    and both tanks would be filled up at the same time?

I am trying to gauge what is the experience at the gas station when filling up:
    do I have two tanks to fill up, or just one?
  13. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at the parts and having a similar aluminum tank, you are going to have to pull your seat off to fill the aux tank. Even with a tank bag, it is easy to do.
    They are supplying a block that mounts between the oem tank and fuel pump housing that will allow the fuel to be pulled from the aux tank. The fuel bib on the aux tank appears to be at the lowest point, so you could also tap your gas cap mount and plug the cap vent. The aux tank will drain into the main tank as fuel/air is displaced on the main tank - Bernoulli's effect - that is how my aux tank works. After struggling with threads in the aluminum, I made some brackets very similar to the mounts in the picture with a strap to hold the tank snug. It is really easy to pull the tank out for servicing, etc.

My tank carries 1.3 gallon, I'm guessing the plastic tank will be hold 1.6 - 1.6. Love my set up for Baja.

14. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver Supporter

Oddometer:
    subscribed.. and eagerly waiting for some real world reviews of this product..

removing the seat to refill would be a bit of a pain if your running a Giant Loop or similar, but I would still deal with that if everything else worked well. i.e. the air filter being able to protect from dirt.. which you can help by sticking a filter skin (or pantyhose) over the foam filter..
  15. KC-10ENG

KC-10ENG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed:D
  16. rade

rade Adventure enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

some tanks were already sold... some for adventure traveling and some for the hobby rally racing... So far no complains :-)
    I have 3 sets in stock - I will credit back 100EUR back on them for an ride report published here on AdvR...

let me know, who is in :-)
  17. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    If I had a way to remap the ECU on my '14, I'd be all over this.
  18. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Good point. I don't think there is any way to do that as of now, so running this type of air filter is a crap shoot. Who wants to be the '14/'15 guinea pig?
  19. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    Indeed. The fueling on the '14 model is so perfect I'm very hesitant to mess with it. On the other hand, I really want some extra fuel range and I like everything about this kit except for the changes to the intake. If TuneECU was an option for me, I'd do it in a heart beat.
  20. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    Curious what maps or tweaks guys are running with 12-13 models....