KTM 690 Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by rade, Mar 29, 2014.

1. tcorwin

tcorwin n00b

Oddometer:
    IMG_6420.JPG
    cal08 and Dick0 like this.
  2. gizZzmo

gizZzmo n00b

Oddometer:
    Really interested in this idea. Have you sorted out the fuel bladder you are going to use? I recently saw some neat ones online by Giant Loop.

Curious how this will pan out, as I have also been considering the Rade tank upgrade or something similar for my 690.
  3. tcorwin

tcorwin n00b

Oddometer:
    I have been using an MSR dromedary bag filled with about.75 gal of fuel. So far it is working as expected, though the bag allows some gas smell through. I’m not sure how bulky the giant loop bag is and if it could be stuffed in the air box compartment.
  4. El Lobo

El Lobo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Refueling now is a piece off cake when your hauling luggage. I should have done this mod when I installed the tank +35tkm ago...

20180825_123559.jpg
    Force0321 likes this.
  5. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got any pics on how you did it so I don't screw it up when I try it? Looks like a great idea to me

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
  6. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Previously covered, browse through the thread.
  7. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why do you think that your method to connect the two tanks is not explained by Rade? Are there any limitations or other issues in connection and usage?
  8. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Because, while being simple, it also introduces a few downsides?
    -venting
    -no longer possible to use the addon tank for reserve
  9. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think Rade's method connecting the aux. and the main tank by gravity feed works good enough and in most cases is solid.
    I got the inspiration to connect the rade tank to the main tank via venting on my 690 from my wife's BMW Xchallenge with an Sheffelmeier X-tank that works the same way. Check out ADV member Colebatche's ride reports on his BMW with an X-tank.
    @Anders: why would the venting be a downside? The Rade drains first, then the main tank drains second venting through the Rade's vent. Why is venting the Rade different from venting the main tank?
    I still have "reserve" once the low fuel light comes on? That's on my 09 about 25 miles. The way I have the tanks connected doesn't change that.
    yoohah likes this.
  10. JoePalma

JoePalma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve ordered both the rally fairing kit along with the auxiliary tank/small air box and have been having a hell of a time getting them both installed. Have gone back and forth with Rade on the issues and getting them sorted slowly, and I'm down to that last one. I can't get the tank to fit properly in my 2017 Enduro R. It sits high both front and rear, doesn't make contact with either the front or rear brackets and none of my seats (Seat Concepts, stock or Powerparts) will sit properly on the bike.

I think the issue is with the location of the tank outlet on the underside of the tank. It's too far forward and butts against the mounting bracket. I've attached a picture of the underside of mine. Does anyone who's successfully mounted the tank on an ABS Enduro have a picture of the underside of their tank to compare? Tank Underside.jpg
  11. JoePalma

JoePalma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally managed to get the tank nestled in. Key was, as some one mentioned previously, to have the brass outlet pointing towards the right peg. No thrilled with the seat fit, but trimming some of the ECU cover helped with getting the seat on without shearing off the bumpers, which I did on my Seat Concepts. Fortunately they’ve shipped me a replacement set.

Now to watch for any leaks, wait for the quick disconnect and heat sheath to show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bigbrad likes this.
  12. JoePalma

JoePalma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the tank leaks from the brass fitting. Going to seal it with Permatex Form-A-Gasket and use PTFE thread sealant. But first I need to figure out how to get the fitting apart.

I can get a 19mm socket into the fill opening but it doesn’t fit the brass but.

Any suggestions?

13. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

How about some questions instead? :-)
    Why doesn't it fit? wrong size, angle, nut too shallow, etc?
  14. JoePalma

JoePalma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Questions are good :-). Looks to be the wrong size (too small) and a 19mm is the largest socket I can get in there.
  15. bigbrad

bigbrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No leakage from mine.

Easy to fit and works well.
  16. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Have you tried imperial size sockets as well? Maybe the same outside socket diameter can accomodate a slightly larger nut there.
    Otherwise, maybe look into aquiring one of those thin walled sockets.
  17. JoePalma

JoePalma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bigbrad, glad to hear your install went well and that you’re not experiencing any problems.

Seem to have lost my SAE sockets in the divorce :). I was out looking for thin wall sockets yesterday but couldn’t find any. Will take up the search again today, but would like to know what the size of the brass nut is first.

18. JoePalma

JoePalma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the fitting out, had to use Crescent X2 long nose plier to get it out. The nut is a 22mm so no socket that size is going in the fill opening. All back together with gasket maker and PTFE threadlock. Leave it over night and test it out tomorrow.

bigbrad and Anders- like this.
  19. orangebleu

orangebleu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm buying all ready more than one year this RADE GARAGE fuel TK . Install without problem . travelling more than 300 km , perfect . But:
    - I feel that the bike running with higher FW T° , self on idle , alarm on dashboard burn but FW exp tk not overflowing !!!
    - I change cooling water by high quality , I put a other thermostat 92 C° when fan running .
    Now it's winter time and I'm put back original Air filter , the bike running like normal .
    My 690 from 2015 . I ear many time that 2015 ride by wire , it's difficult to change mapping .
    I have now EVO1 with complete Akra exhaust . I think , with the KN filter proposed with fuel Tk , the bike running to poor at low rate , to much air !!!
    WY with original air box , it's different with KN filter ?? somebody have ides ???
    I saw that Rade garage change his filter by twin air filter and small air box . but not possible to fit on previous generation of fuel Tk .
    There are different possibility to added fuel on the front ...
    - EVO2 TK from Rally Raid product , but I 'm install RUMBUX crashbar ( expansive )
    - Rotopax fuel TK on the rear side , but with luggage , to many weight at the after side !!
  20. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    I`m currently trying to fit a new Rade tank to a non ABS 2013 model . The new brackets mount the tank ok . But there is no way I can mount the air temp sensor through the airbox and get the clearance to connect the plug . Reading here it sounds like some have ran the sensor wires through the air box , then drilled a hole trough the velocity stack and cable tied the sensor there . Is this the case ? Did you drill a hole for the wires and then seal with silicone or something ?