KTM 690 Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by rade, Mar 29, 2014.

1. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most just tyewrapped the device to an adjacent wire loom in free air.
  2. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    That's an easier way.
  3. Ikarian88

Ikarian88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all.
    I wanted to ask if this auxiliary tank can be combined with the rear Rally Raid tank for a total 22,7 litres.
    I prefer keeping the graphics on the oem plastics of 2014 690 R(RR rear tank + RG aux tank+Alberto Dottori fairing),rather than a safari tank with a YENKRO fairing.
    Thank you.
  4. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bougth a unused Rade tank, older type with uni filter etc. Got airbox removed and fuel pump out of tank and housing off. So ready to start drilling but want to be sure I'm doing it right. Plan was to do like above and same as shown other places.

But in installtion instructions on the rade website, https://www.radegarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/rade-garage_690_tank_manual_297x210_03.pdf , it says:

"-Summary of this step: 2 × 4 mm holes must be drilled into the black plastic fuel pump cover. One directly behind where the banjo bolt goes on the aluminum spacer, the other 90 degrees and 10 mm above the first hole (see pic below)."

See also picture on page 14 in pdf linked to above.

This seems strange to me, won't the gas be trapped between the 2 sealings in only 10mm above the first hole? Seems more correct to me having the hole above the o-ring on the adapter as shown in quoted post above.
  5. orangebleu

orangebleu Adventurer

Oddometer:

Pinkvin,
    You doe writhe, I read on the forum that people have problem with overflowing with front TK . Personally I drill only one hole and I don't have this inconvenient . Good luck !!
  6. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, so just the bottom hole behind the banjo?
  7. MechanicalCamel

MechanicalCamel n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been lurking on here a long time and found the various inputs super useful to getting my own tank installed so thanks to all for posting! Thought I should offer a few pointers from my install in the hope that someone else finds it useful. (Also kinda hoping Rade points people here as it's going to save him a lot of customer service headache).

For starters, I'm using the latest tank and filter offering - the one with the breather through the cap - on a 2017 690. I'll write the bits I found useful in installation order:

1. For starters - as is well documented here - the fit is mighty tight. After taking out the original airbox, I went around the cavity and moved everything I could. I swiveled all cable ties so the clips stuck outwards instead of in, I turned the clamps on the breather pipes, I rotated the brake lines on top of the ABS unit and I rerouted the coolant breather pipe so it goes forwards from the coolant tank rather than behind it. Not sure how much of this was necessary but doesn’t take long. I also rerouted some of the ground wires connected to the frame - one near the abs unit and one near the new filter coming off the loom.

2. When putting the rubber intake flange into the new airbox, you want to line everything up correctly otherwise the airbox sits slightly to one side and will rub on the clips for the side panel. This is really obvious but I only saw it once I’d installed everything: if you look on the flange there’s a thin line of rubber - line this up with the line in the middle of the new airbox. I’ll post a pic if I take my airbox off again.

3. I had a mighty time getting the new airbox in with the air temp sensor installed correctly. Lots of people just cable tie it to the loom which is probably sensible but I’m stubborn and wanted to do it ‘properly’, whatever that means. The instructions show an airbox with the air sensor on the left side - same side as the breather. Mine was on the opposite side and there didn’t seem to be room as it was bumping into the loom. I called Rade in a panic (was about to go on a trip). He was away testing a bike in Tunisia so his assistant very kindly sent me the other airbox with the temp sensor and breather on the same side. Turns out this is for a 701 and doesn’t fit a 690 - hits the fuel line. Oops. (At this point I must say that Rade has given exceptional service - can’t fault him at all). I fiddled with the loom - moved a few things (see above) and eventually got it all to fit.

4. I drilled out the rivets holding the side panel clips and put shorter ones - my filter cover scrapes against them when I remove it.

IMG_1421.jpg

5. I finished the new filter installation, got well excited, put the brackets on to see how they’d fit - then went for a test ride without tightening up the nuts holding the rear tank bracket. Second oops.

6. (Only do this step if you’re an over excited idiot) Fabricate a new rear tank bracket.

7. Fitting the tank: Again, it’s a mighty tight fit but it does get in there. I read a lot about leaking taps which is obviously a bit of an issue on a petrol tank, so I spent. A lot of time checking the spacing around the tap at the bottom on the tank. It seems to me that it’s too tight - too much chance for the bracket holding the front of the tank to make contact with the brass spigott - clearly any rubbing there is likely to lead to bad things. So I did 2 things -
    A - cut the corner off the bracket as in the attached.If you're looking from below you can see where it touched before I'd finished trimming the bracket
    B - position the bracket at an angle facing inwards. The bottom of the tank has a very shallow V - it’s not flat - so it doesn’t make sense for the bracket to be flat. I leaned it in to the centre of the bike slightly.

I also made a little 1mm riser and secured it to the base of the plate with duct tape. As many others have noted there is slight contact with the plug on top of the abs unit so I wanted to lift it off a fraction.

I’ll post about the results after a 4 day desert mission (worked brilliantly) in another post.

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

Below you can see the bracket sitting not quite straight upright
    IMG_1338.jpg
    JoeMongo, Dao1, yoohah and 2 others like this.
  8. MechanicalCamel

MechanicalCamel n00b

Oddometer:
    Quick report on how it went after 4 days of fairly brutal bashing around in this sort of terrain..

IMG_1359.jpg IMG_1373.jpg IMG_1387.jpg

The filter worked perfectly. It was truly filthy when I took the seat off but clean as a whistle inside. Next stop is filter skins - change every second day - bob’s your auntie.

IMG_1406.jpg

Tank worked a dream - no leaks - no pissing gas out the top as some have reported - draining very smoothly. And it was in very hot conditions - somewhere close to 40 degrees C. Only issue I had was that gas was dribbling out of the breather of my main tank - bike on a level surface and about 100kms into the ride. I blew back into it and it stopped - not sure what that was about but assume it got some sort of siphon thing going.

I had wrapped the bottom of the tank in heat shield which sort of came unstuck in some areas but held on in others. Turns out it’s a really good way of seeing where the tank is making contact with various parts of the bike, so I duct taped it on. We’ll see how long that sticks when the tank is full of petrol.

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

You can just see below where the front bracket made contact with the tank - feint line a good 2mm clearance from the tap. I was very happy with that - seems a sensible mod for those with newer tanks.

IMG_1410.jpg

Altogether a great solution, if not a completely straightforward install. I’m not a huge fan of the noise of the intake - it’s forced me to wear earplugs even on a quick commute around town - probably not a bad thing.
    JoeMongo, Dao1, josip01 and 1 other person like this.
  9. alskee750

alskee750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the size of the fuel line that will go from the rear tank vent to the front (bottom fitting) tank? Dont have the moto around me and wanted to order new lines for the siphoning plumbing. Thanks in advance.
  10. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    @nwemerys hope you see this.....how has the Hondabond worked out. My Rade tank is leaking ....any feed back from others is welcome too.
  11. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    How did your fix work out? I put a Rade tank on my 2018 and the outside washer failed. Considering leaving the washer inside and using sealant of some kind on the threads and around the fitting.
  12. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    I just got a reply from Rade and they are sending me the updated outer out-flow with o-ring. Is it any better?
  13. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have about 7000 miles on the Rade tank upgrade with no leaks.
  14. JoePalma

JoePalma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ended up using one of the permatex form-a-gasket products (not in the garage so cant tell you exactly which one at the moment). Tested out fine last season but haven’t used the aux tank yet this season.

If Rade is sending you an updated fitting I’d go with that first.
  15. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what fuel filter sock fits the Rade Tank?

Thx
  16. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    I ordered one from Profill about 6 months ago but it didn't fit. The neck of the tank is to small so I just added an in line fuel filter. I'm not a fan of their stock tank filter sock either....it could have been a better design....its probably something they had, that fits, but wasn't designed specifically for the KTM tank.
  17. welshboxer

welshboxer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Read through the post and have picked up some great tips.

Just have one question and hopefully it can be explained in layman terms.

Can I just connect the Rade aux tank direct to the breather of the original tank without having to plumb the aux tank to the bikes fuel pump?
  18. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. welshboxer

welshboxer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that Sprouty, that has helped, great way of doing things and easier than removing the fuel pump and drilling holes.
  20. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it really is a clean solution.