KTM 690 Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by rade, Mar 29, 2014.

1. FinnDuro

FinnDuro Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer:

Rade, I'm in from Finland. I have a KTM 690 2012 and could use this tank setup. Installation & Ride report could be done already during winter, or latest spring time. :)
  2. dirkdiggler

dirkdiggler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered one yesterday it should arrive next week and i'll let you know how i get on fitting it.
  3. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great work!!!!
    How does this affect mapping on a 08?
    How much is shipping to FL?
    Any VAT or hidden charges?
    Any chance of a group buy?
  4. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    the pod filter reduces inflow and this requires a remap.

I gotta say that this is probably the coolest 690 fuel farkle under $500, and way more useful to me than the saddle tamks that cost so much. the only things stopping me, are poverty, and noise. I ran a pod briefly with a tool bag stored in that space, and the intake growl was LOUD.

that said, Im surprised more folks havent bought this
  5. THop

THop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So if i get this right the pod filter reduces the inflow of air to the engine.. Wouldnt this richen up the fueling a bit? If so in essence if the pod filter and an aftermarket pipe were put on wouldnt it be close to the stock fueling? Or am i just completely out to lunch here? Eitherway the dealer Will be remapping my ecu. Also is there any shut off valve on the underseat tank? Does the seat still fit properly? Does the seat still sit on the contact rubbers?
    With this tank it should give me close to 400-410km range which is close to what im looking for. As for the map what map would work best with this pod filter and an aftermarket pipe? Any thoughts? Still offering a $100 euro discount for a review? Or looking for a 2014 guinea pig lol
  6. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    sorry, i meant reduces inflow restriction... quite the opposite of what i actually wrote. so it leans the bike out in reality
  7. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Give it a shot. Us '14 owners would be very interested in your results.
  8. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    +1

9. THop

THop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im highly debating getting it
  10. ttime4four

ttime4four Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the 2014+ bikes having ABS - does this tank fit given the '14 airboxes were reformed to accomodate the ABS unit just rear and right of the head stock.

Thanks!
  11. JKAP

JKAP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 :ear
  12. dirkdiggler

dirkdiggler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My tank kit has arrived and i will be fitting it shortly i am just waiting on sas blanking kit which i'm guessing i'll need as the air box is being removed. The tank looks to be very well made as do the fittings. I will report how my bike runs with the new setup. I'm currently on fmf front pipe with Akro end can and what i believe to be a k&n filter in the standard air box. My bike is an 08 enduro and it fuels very cleanly with a nice even tick over and no issues at all. I'm not sure what map/maps it's running at the moment as this is how the bike was when i bought it.
  13. dirkdiggler

dirkdiggler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A quick update the tank was very easy to fit once i had the sas removed and blanked off. The connector for the air flow meter is a little bit of a faff due to it's new location but this is mainly due to there not being enough slack in the cable. The fuel from the front tank now drains to the rear via a on/off fuel tap and another inline fuel filter. The new fuel tank adapter also allows for easy access to the rear tank, fuel pump and filter which is now very easy to drain whilst still on the bike. I took the bike out for a run and it fuels exactly the same as before pulling very cleanly all the way through the range with a good even idle, it maybe even felt a little more frisky.

I am very pleased with the kit. I first looked at the Rally Raid rear tank but due to the fact they treated me like a twat on the phone and the thought of adding yet more weight to the rear made me go the Rade route. The price of the Rade front tank is also half that of the Rally Raid item. Time will tell as i'm off to Russia and Mongolia in June where it will be tested properly. The uni filter is small but before i go i will add a filter sock and also take a spare filter with me. A big thumbs up from me:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup
  14. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    Nice. Got photos?
  15. dirkdiggler

dirkdiggler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hope these are ok i should have taken a few more but you get the idea.[​IMG]
  16. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver Supporter

Oddometer:
    looks very nice, thanks for posting.. I'm still a bit on the fence.. how is the noise (i.e. engine howl factor)? and do you think you'll have a chance to test it on some hard terrain soon? I'd be interested in seeing what effect that has, such as rubbing/wear points on the tank, and just how it does with hard riding.
  17. dirkdiggler

dirkdiggler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm off to Russia and Mongolia in June for three months so it will be properly tested As we will be doing as much off road as ppossible. I have reinforced some of the loom which sits near the front tank bracket as it was in a possible rub situation but other than that I can't really see anything else wearing. The tank is very thick and looks robust, it's a quality peice of kit every bit as good as anything else that's available, the finish is very professional. As for noise initially I'm not sure my bike runs an akroprovic with no baffle so it's quite noisy anyway. I'm guessing that if you run a quite pipe you will notice more noise, I'll just wear earplugs.
  18. robdogg

Oddometer:
    hard to tell from the photos, but does the tank use the airbox mounts built in to the frame? I assume maybe it does for the forward mounts?, but probably not the rear mounts because those are back well past the intake.. how is it secured to the bike basically?

from earlier photos it looked like the designer had put a mounting strap over the tank, but I don't see one on yours, so maybe that was just for the prototype?

as for the noise, not talking about from the exhaust, but from the intake.. a lot of folks complain about the loud howling noise after removing the air box and going with the pod filter when pulling the throttle hard.

btw, Russia and Mongolia? yeah, that'll be a great test.. what an adventure!! trip of a lifetime? or are you independently wealthy.. hehe
  19. dirkdiggler

dirkdiggler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Robdogg

Yes you use both the front and rear air box mounts the tank sits in two u shape brackets which support the tank, one on the front mount one on the rear mount. Both the mounts use the pickups but canter forward slightly. I also have a strap that then ties the hole lot down i just hadn't put it on in the photo's. I've just arrived in Thailand for a few weeks :evil but when i get home i can add a few more detailed pictures.
    Sorry what i meant to say was yes there probably is a bit more of a growl from the air box but due to my exhaust i can't notice it that much, time will tell though on a long run though.
    Ha ha:rofl as for being wealthy, i wish i'm a plasterer similar to your drywall guys in the states but i use wet plaster. I earn all right but i've had to save up. I've been to Russia before in 2008 on route to China and back from the uk. I have not been to Mongolia before though and am really looking forward to it. The plan is to also ride the western part of the Bam road also after reading Walter's reports and more recently The rolling Hobo's
  20. robdogg

Oddometer:
    excellent.. thanks for the replies Dirk.. it helps in the decision making process..

I used to hang drywall (we divide the labor between installing the drywall boards, and the tapers/mudders who do the finish work), but I got out of that as everyone that was in the business more then a few years had knee, back and neck issues.. but yeah, was decent pay, for tough work.

enjoy your travels