KTM 690 Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by rade, Mar 29, 2014.

1. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not yet, laziness has got in the way! I do still have a spare seat and I'm trying to free up a few more $$$ to order this tank from Rade to replace my aluminum tank so we'll see what happens.
  2. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Hi rade!

Can you tell me which specific kind of plastic this aux tank is made of?
    (looking into the possibility of welding it and need to know what it's made of)
  3. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Rade, what is the thread size/pitch for the filler? I'm experimenting with bringing the filler through the seat and that piece of info might help things along. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated!

I'd be ecstatic if I could go from this:

[​IMG]

...to something like this (minus the dry break):

[​IMG]

Yes, I already cut a hole in my (spare) seat:

[​IMG]

Maybe you could machine an adapter that threads into your tank and extends above the seat and accepts an Acerbis cap?:

[​IMG]

I'm even entertaining the idea of just cutting off the nose of the seat (more closely resembling the first pic of the 690 Baja):

[​IMG]
  4. 2whlin

2whlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    J, you are on to something. Where you at on this mod?
  5. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    As with most all of my projects, I move at a glacial pace. I mostly just stare at it right now, waiting for the "light bulb" to go off.
  6. 2whlin

2whlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KEEP STARING!
    My problem with this tank is I have a tank bag, so I will have to remove the bag then the seat. But, not a big deal because I doubt filling this tank would even be common on the majority of my rides. The other issue is the POD air filter and can it withstand FINE DUST!
  7. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Who's bought and used one of these....
  8. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    A few questions:

1) Any issues on accidental overspilling, esp on hot engines, from the tank?

2) Who's bought the fairing - thoughts there?

3) order leadtime - from date of order to read-to-ship date (obviously shipping itself is location dependant) 1 week? 2 week? etc.

thanks,

cm
  9. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed
  10. El Lobo

El Lobo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great tank solution. Does the fuel pump holder requier drilling for better flow or is the adaptor just mounted straight on?
    How does the fueltank handle the engine heat?
  11. Spartan

Spartan It's All Attitude

Oddometer:
    Nice set up. For a '14/15, does this air filter with stock map run as good as with the stock air box?
  12. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    One more question, how much smaller is the gas tank that fit the abs-equipped 690's?
    (wondering how much capacity had to go in order to make room)
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Love to get more info on everything about the tank for 14/15/16 bikes. Tank size? Fitment? Tuning adjustments? Anything to add?
  14. ttime4four

ttime4four Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one of the new ABS fitment tanks on the way from Rade. I'm starting with a bike that is running perfectly with an EVO1 airbox lid, Ausi Uni filter, dealer installed EVO1 tune and Wings exhaust. I'll post back here with volume measurements, detailed fitment and installation photos, etc.

I plan to use the larger Uni pod filter and filter sock as mentioned earlier in this thread.
    levain likes this.
  15. levain

Oddometer:
    Great. I'd be interested in your thoughts on intake noise as well.
  16. chrisamberely

chrisamberely USMC. (retired).

Oddometer:
    A Question about this....

If you are already using the evo airbox and foam filter, and an akro can, and have remapped to suit, will another remap be needed going to the foam pod style filter?
  17. levain

Oddometer:
    Alright, who's running one of these on a 2014-2015? Did you remap? Are you running an aftermarket exhaust? Is intake a TON louder or just a little?
  18. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    According to Yellow Pig and others here, no. Indeed, when I looked at the available maps on the Tuneecu list, the closest to my config (Leo Vince pipe, and now foam filter) - the Akor + EVO 1 map is the map I used. Assuming that's the one you used as part of your EVO 1 process, then you should be good.

cm
  19. ttime4four

ttime4four Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rade Tank Review and Install - 2014

I’ve been following this thread since the beginning and was excited to see that @rade updated his design to fit the ’14/’15 bikes with ABS. Since I ordered mine within days of being notified the '14/15 version was done, I suspect that I might have the first new version in the US.

I just finished the install. I haven’t ridden it yet with the new tank / pod filter — so I’ll come back with my impressions when there is suitable riding weather here in the Pacific Northwet.

Unboxing

When I popped open the box, I found everything as I expected (and a little more). Here is what I got:
    • Tank with attached fuel hose and rigid protective tube
    • UniFilter UP 4060A Kit
    • Simota Air Filter
    • Adapter tube (for between throttle body / air filter) - drilled & threaded with bolts
    • Mounting brackets (x2)
    • Fuel tank adapter with banjo fitting
    • Petcock
    • Hardware (hardware provided for tank adapter was the wrong size - you will need M5x45 (x4) and washers)
    • No Instructions - see Rade’s website but also realize those instructions were for bikes w/o ABS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notes about the kit / parts:
    • The tank is REALLY well made - very stout - I'm very impressed. I did a water test and by my measurement it held 6.25 liters (more than the 5.5 liters advertised).
    • I didn’t realize the kit was coming with a breather filter so I had pre-ordered a UniFilter UP-123. I am using the UniFilter because it’s smaller and doesn’t have a bright chrome top.
    • I also pre-ordered an Outerwears (20-1190-01) water repellent pre-filter. I like the idea of being able to clean the pre-filter in the field.
    • When I was pre-fitting the tank, I found the rigid protective tube too restrictive and pulled it off. I sourced a thermal hose sleeve from Amazon. If you go this route, don’t make my mistake by getting the 0.5” ID hose - get one size bigger or you’ll spend 30 mins battling it to get it over the fuel line (0.5” OD).
    • I wanted a vent tube with a one-way valve so I grabbed an Orange one.

If you are looking at the Rade tank, you probably know there are alternatives. I’ve considered them all. I've had bigger adventure bikes and my 690 is my light-weight adventure bike. I want to keep it “light weight”.

Here’s a quick comparison - the Pro/Cons are my own opinion. If you ask, “How can the Rade tank be less than 1 lbs”? The answer is “net weight” as you save weight by removing the entire airbox assy.

[​IMG]

Installation (this is how I did it - YMMV):

(1) Take off the seat, side panels and remove the air box assy. If you have't taken out the airbox assy before - :-).

(2) Make room for the tank by tucking in anything that might get in the way (e.g. connectors near the coolant tank, engine venting hoses)

[​IMG]

(3) Re-do your venting system. On ‘14+ bikes we don’t have the SAS and I’ve already done the canisterectomy - so that saves some work and you can ignore the SAS step on Rade's instructions. The vent from the top of the valve cover and the vent above the clutch area need to vent to atmosphere. I connected those two hoses (cutting and bending as needed) to a “T” and connected the UniFilter UP-123 to this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(4) Next was to install the tank adapter. The instructions here are really lacking. If you look for the RallyRaid EVO2 installation instructions, this will fill in many blanks. http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/image/data/PDF/EVO2tank 2014v3.pdf
    • Drain as much fuel you can - siphon worked well
    • Pivot the main rear tank to the up position (pretty much required - more on why later). The @Perun bolt kit makes this much easier. Here's a video "how to" …
    • Remove fuel pump assy
    • Remove outer housing (depress clips on the side)
    • Now this is where the RallyRaid instructions are invaluable - you need to drill two holes in the outer housing to allow the fuel to get into the tank from the tank adapter
    • When re-installing, the banjo bolt interfered with a “rib” on the tank. I gave feedback to Rade that the tank adapter should be 3mm bigger in depth.
    • So to fix, I reached into the tank and felt that there was no void behind the rib (solid) and I used my dremel to remove enough ABS material to clear without interference. [this is why its better to have easy access to the bottom of the tank]
    • Re-install the fuel pump assy with adapter making sure the banjo bolt is on the right side pointing forward
    • Re-install the main rear tank to the down position.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(5) At this point I was ready to finish the install, but I did the valves instead.
    thanks @Scott_PDX

(6) Install the support brackets and pod filter assy
    • I removed the left inner side panel (outer panel connection point) and cut out the vent box - not sure if this was necessary.
    • Rear one is straight forward (small bracket) sits between the rear airbag bolt points - use the small round head (allen) bolt and locknut
    • Front one goes in at an extreme angle (in order to clear the ABS). Rade's instructions showed it going straight down but on the ’14/15 - it will be at a ~45* angle.
    • Pre-oil the filter. The kit comes with a pod, second filter sleeve and then I put on top of all that the Outerwears pre-filter.
    • Install the temp sensor receiver onto the adapter tube - I used locktite red
    • Install the temp sensor
    • Replace the left inner side panel
    [​IMG]

(7) I now prepared the tank to install (foil tape and thermal sleeve optional)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(8) Install the tank and route the hose. That actually happens in one step - helpful to have another hand. Thanks again @Scott_PDX
    • Make sure the indents on the tank line up with the support brackets
    • Install the vent tube
    • Insert the tank - for me it was a very tight fit
    • Use the velcro strap to hold it down
    • I routed the hose straight to the right, rearward of the ABS unit and hugged the inside of the frame.
    • Zip tied the petcock to the frame (stand-off method)
    • Zip tied the hose in multiple spots
    • Make one more cut to fit the banjo bolt on the tank adapter - fix all connections with hose clamps
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(9) Check everything, add fuel to the rear tank, check for leaks, start engine. If it starts and you aren't dripping fuel - contrats you didn't fuck up your bike. I now opened the petcock (with a full rear tank) and some fuel transferred to the front tank - my guess - less than 6 oz. Happy to know that fuel moved through the fuel hose and petcock, I filled the Rade tank and again checked for leaks.
    Victory Lap time! :clap

(10) Button everything back up and enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rideability comments:

I expect everything to be fine as I have the Wings Exhaust and the EVO1 tune. I was previously running the EVO1 airbag cover just fine. Once I get some miles under this - I will report back.
  20. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write up ttime. I've been wanting to add a reflective barrier to the bottom of my tank, but I wasn't sure how the adhesive would hold up, still considering banding an aluminized fiberglass blanket under/around mine.

Instead of zip-ties to mount the petcock I used a 35mm long spacer sandwiched between the petcock and the rear brake reservoir using a 55mm long bolt in place of the original. This may not be ideal since it sits slightly outside of the frame, but its still within the width of the bodywork and well behind the clutch cover so hopefully it's not too prone to damage. I wanted the petcock to be solid mounted and that was the best option I could come up with. Another option might be to use an Adel/"P"-clamp around the frame and bolt through that.

I also bought a CPC dry break type fuel line disconnect to make tank removal/servicing easier down the road... just haven't decided where to cut it in yet.